This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 AM

garyscc is on a distinguished road
Default trunklid swap from coupe to convertible?

hi, i recently bought a '59 convertible - the trunk lid is badly rusted. All the hardware that attaches to the trunk seems to be ok. I realize it will be near impossible to find a convertible trunk lid for sale. So, i'd like to find out if anyone has successfully tried to modify a coupe trunklid for use on a convertible.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:51 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

You might be surprised that it may not be that difficult to find a convertible trunk lid for your '59 Convertible. There are several companies in your State that have a lot of parts from Squarebirds. There is also the Bird Nest in Oregon, and the Bird House in Delaware who have parts cars. There is also Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here, who has a ton of Squarebird parts and might have a convertible trunk lid. However, like the Bird House, Carl is in Pennsylvania. So you might want to check out those companies on the West Coast. Look in the Advertisements Forum and you will find all the listings of those companies there. You might also put a post in the For Sale / Parts Wanted Forum on here and see if someone on the West Coast has a convertible trunk lid they can sell you. I have no clue if anyone has ever converted a '59 hardtop trunk lid to a '59 convertible trunk lid. Probably not...

I just did some research for you in our Advertisements Forum. Here is a list of companies that specialize in selling major Tbird components, body panels, hoods, trunk lids, etc... They may or may not have what you need, but they are all located in California. Some of them have huge facilities with tons of Tbird used parts.

http://www.hilltopclassics.net/ Phone: 760-746-0407 Ask for Jerry or Julie Email: julie@hilltopclassics.net

NOS Only
Located in San Jose, California. Telephone # (800) 667-6659

Stefan's Thunder Cars&Parts-'58-76 Tbirds
http://www.thundercarsandparts.com/
Neenach, California, near LA
Phone: (877)80-T-BIRD (877)808-2473
Phone/Fax: (661)724-0651 or (818)813 9765
StefanGB ~ StefanGB@verizon.net

Turner's Auto Wrecking
Here is a company where others have found parts from.
4248 S.Willow Ave., Freso, CA 93725.
559-237-0918. Here is their website.
http://www.turnersautowrecking.com/

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 06-05-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:53 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I've never seen anyone do but it's certainly not impossible. The hardest part would be welding on the brackets for the hinges and somehow inserting the nuts that hold the hinge spring braces, the lock solenoids and the safety catch bolts. I believe the flip lid brackets would bolt up to where the hinge brackets are on a hardtop. Most of the holes are already in place. I imagine they used the same trunk lid frame and skin. They just inserted the nuts before they put the two halves together.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 06-05-2015, 02:47 AM

thanks for the information. I sent two of the links emails inquiring on a trunklid. I noticed that my trunklid has the nuts as mentioned. I have a good welder at a local shop that can do amazing things. it seems like it is possible to remove the brackets and hardware from my rusty trunklid and install onto the hardtop one. I'm just keeping my options open so i can one day have a fully working car. I have removed the trunklid so for now I have what looks like a thunderbird ranchero.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

The deck lid and trunk lid are the same as far as skin and frame, but to handle the added stress of top operation, there are additional stiffening pieces added to the inner framework of the convertible deck lid to provide the needed support.
Carl
Old 06-09-2015, 02:02 PM

One of the contacts responded back - Stefan. He found a decent trunklid that seems to be available - for $1500. Its a lot of money, but I need it. does this seem reasonable?
Old 06-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Is it for a '58/59. Remember '60 lids are automatic so the holes for the screw locks are completely different. If it's totally rust free then it's probably as cheap as you are going to find one considering how rare they are. I would inspect it closely though before putting out that much money.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 06-09-2015, 03:28 PM

Gary owns a '59 Squarebird, John. Thanks for giving him your opinion on the trunk lid. Your advice regarding him inspecting it, before purchase is good. I hope they do not live to far from each other because if they don't, there will be shipping costs involved. It looks like it is about a 2 hour 20 minute 130 mile drive between them according to what Google says. That should make this transaction easier, because, hopefully, he will be able to make that trip, see it in person, obtain it and drive it back home in a truck.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 06-09-2015, 03:40 PM

I'm not sure I understand that completely. the only trunk lid I'm aware of at the moment is from Stefan - and I believe Stefan told me the trunklid would be available in Los Angeles. is there another trunklid available 200 miles from orange county?
Old 06-09-2015, 03:43 PM

Sorry, Gary, I made the assumption that Stefan had it at his location. The time and distance I posted was from your location to his. I was not aware that it was available in the Los Angeles area and not at his location. That should certainly make it a shorter trip...

"It's Hip To Be Square"