This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Generator to Alternator conversion

Thanks, John for the additional information. Jiri needs to know as much about this as he can, because, unlike us, he can't run down to the local Autolite, or O'Reillys in his country and just buy something. Jiri, if you end up ordering from Larry at C.R.A.P., and he does not ship overseas, let me know...

There is another company that makes an alternator mounting bracket that I just found out about. That is March Performance, and we have a link to it in the TRL under Gen to Alt Conversions. However, in talking with them I found that their mounting bracket also mounts the alt high like the CVF version. Also, it costs more. It is their part #19001 for $134.86. You will find it shown in their Serpintine Conversion kits section, the bottom two image above the Flathead image.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Experienced

Rock&Roll Firebird is on a distinguished road

Thank you John for confirming the block & C.R.A.P. mount information - very useful!. And thank you Ray for your offer. I already arranged a way for getting any needed parts from US to my place - there is a Czech company (Cz-ebay.cz) located in Georgia that gathers all orders from whatever shop or place in the US and dispatches those through DHL Air or a ship container. It works very well and I've used them many times.

Anyway, I'm glad that with these informations I'm a step closer to the alt. conversion which I was a bit nervous about. When I get the parts I'll get my hands on it right away...

As for the alternator, I have one spare new one that I've bought for my C3 corvette, but the Bird seems to need it a bit more now. It's a Tuff Stuff one:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...935c/overview/

We'll see how will it fit. If not, I'll get a Ford one locally.

Last edited by Rock&Roll Firebird : 10-15-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:01 PM

Hi Jiri, very good! That sounds like an excellent arrangement. Regarding the GM alternator that you have, maybe someone like Dave or John can tell you if that one is a good candidate for the Tbird or not. If not, then it appears that a Ford 3G alt is the best way to go for a new one. Or if you can find one off an older Ford at a scrap yard there, if that is even possible.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 10-15-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I have no love for any of the bracket companies so it really doesn't matter to me which one you buy from.
Having said that, I have never found an alternator that won't fit somewhere on your engine AND I've always had to make my own brackets.

One of the biggest concerns was the placement of alternator plugs. They are easy to hide but then you can't get to them. They need to be accessible yet out of the way so they aren't pinched, burned or scraped.

GM or Ford alternators, it really doesn't matter much. They both work the same and your car really doesn't care where 14-volts DC comes from. Truth be told, many alternators produce Chinese power.

Buy what you want, but I prefer making my own brackets using cut lengths of pipe, threaded rod, heim joints for adjustment, and maybe a plate that wraps half way around the alt. Altogether it should cost about US$20 and my time. Good luck.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Firebird View Post
Thank you John for confirming the block & C.R.A.P. mount information - very useful!. And thank you Ray for your offer. I already arranged a way for getting any needed parts from US to my place - there is a Czech company (Cz-ebay.cz) located in Georgia that gathers all orders from whatever shop or place in the US and dispatches those through DHL Air or a ship container. It works very well and I've used them many times.

Anyway, I'm glad that with these informations I'm a step closer to the alt. conversion which I was a bit nervous about. When I get the parts I'll get my hands on it right away...

As for the alternator, I have one spare new one that I've bought for my C3 corvette, but the Bird seems to need it a bit more now. It's a Tuff Stuff one:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...935c/overview/

We'll see how will it fit. If not, I'll get a Ford one locally.
You won't be able to use a GM style alternator with the CRAP bracket. You have to use a Ford alternator. I already emailed him and asked.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 10-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Experienced

I've searched a powerful Ford 3G alternator at Summit, this seems to be a way to go. I'll double check it with C.R.A.P.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...771a/overview/
Old 10-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Experienced

Here is what Larry from C.R.A.P. says about mounting the 3G Ford alternators with their mount bracket:

"I think the 3G ( 3rd Generation) comes in two different cases so I'm not sure which one if either will work. The distance between the pivot bolt and the lockup bolt is 6 15/16".

That is an important piece of information. I will request an info from Tuff Stuff about their 3G alternator dimensions...
Old 10-20-2014, 06:08 AM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road
Default 3g

I have the c.r.a.p. bracket and have what is called a "small case" 3G. Fits fine. Grant
Old 10-20-2014, 08:43 AM

I have found a company who markets a generator to alternator conversion bracket that uses the existing generator bracket. Here is a link to that.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=63

In addition, here is a link to a company that markets 3G Small Case alternators that you might want to check out. It might save you some money.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=17

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 10-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
I have found a company who markets a generator to alternator conversion bracket that uses the existing generator bracket.
Ray,

That is the bracket that I am using. Although it is easy to install I have to constantly retension the belt as it seems to have quite a bit of twist to it. The weak point seems to be the long bolt. It is too thin to give adequate support considering the forces put on it.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695