This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Experienced

Larry is on a distinguished road
Default Towing a 62

Just purchased a 62 bird down in TX and I plan on towing it home via tow dolly. It is a 450 mile trip. My question is, should I disconnect the drive shaft? It isn't a big deal but why do it if I don't have to right Thanks for any input.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Most tow companies use a flat bed truck.
Another method is to lift it from the rear so the back bumper doesn't drag. The car can be lifted higher if left on its front wheels.

Dollies work, too. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Experienced

But is it ok to tow it from the front without disconnecting the drive shaft? I will be using a dolly.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

It might be possible to tow it for short distances with no damage but for a 450 mile trip I would disconnect the driveshaft.

Even if you put the car in neutral the driveshaft will still spin many parts in the transmission that won't be cooled by fluid moving through the transmission cooler.

Are you sure the '62 will fit between the fenders of the tow dolly? I tow with a tow dolly often but much smaller cars (British cars). Be sure and use at least one extra chain to strap the car to the dolly. I've had the tire straps break and come loose.

Tbird's are heavy. Be careful and good luck....

Eric
Old 10-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
It might be possible to tow it for short distances with no damage but for a 450 mile trip I would disconnect the driveshaft.

Even if you put the car in neutral the driveshaft will still spin many parts in the transmission that won't be cooled by fluid moving through the transmission cooler.

Are you sure the '62 will fit between the fenders of the tow dolly? I tow with a tow dolly often but much smaller cars (British cars). Be sure and use at least one extra chain to strap the car to the dolly. I've had the tire straps break and come loose.

Eric
Thanks Eric. I guess better safe then sorry, so I will disconnect the shaft. I am pretty sure the dolly I am getting will work, it is a Stehl Tow Dolly and is 80" between the fenders. Although I am not sure what the 62 is, my 59 is only 71" outside to outside of the tires, I am only assuming the 62 is similar.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post

Be sure and use at least one extra chain to strap the car to the dolly. I've had the tire straps break and come loose.

Eric
And thanks for the tip, I'll take a chain along. Guess this will be a good chance to test the new dodge ram 1500 I got, but it is supposed to be well within it's towing range and the dolly I am getting will have electric brakes, that should help. Pretty excited about getting this home, got a few plans biggest one being mpfi.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

No problem - hope it all goes well.

When my Dad was alive and still driving his '60 he bought new I wanted to find a '62. Never got around to it and now enjoy driving the '60 he had and I grew up in. One of these days when I win the lottery maybe I'll have both.....

Don't tell the Tbird guys - but I've had / have 4 Dodge 1500's. ('96, '01, '06, and '12). All with the 5.9 - last 2 with the Hemi.
Still have a '96 and a 2012. My first one was a 2001 4x4 wheelchair accessible truck for my son. Man we had fun with it - much better than an old van... one of only a few made.

Recently I was looking for a Ford 4x4 for a snowmobile - somehow I wound up with the '96 Dodge 1500. They just seem to keep following me home.

I'll be looking forward to the progress on the MPFI. Kit or are you going to transplant a system from another car?
Old 10-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Experienced

Nice looking truck there Eric! I had never owned a dodge truck before, but seen tons of them on the road. When I went looking for trucks I did not see anything I liked till I looked at the new ram and now I know why there are so many out there. I have the 5.7 Hemi and getting around 18MPG in these oklahoma hills, I could not be happier. Here is a pic of the new 62 I am picking up. It has already been converted to the new 134a freon and has disc front brakes.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

I would use a full trailer Instead of a dolly. I recently trailered a 65 Galaxie on a U Haul with a Ford Expedition and it worked very well.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
I would use a full trailer Instead of a dolly. I recently trailered a 65 Galaxie on a U Haul with a Ford Expedition and it worked very well.
Not sure how you pulled that off, but I tried everything to just rent a uhaul and no matter what I input for towing, it would say, not recommended and I know uhaul will tell you you can not rent the trailer if it says that combination is not recommended. Heck I even put in I was towing an MG midget and it still would not let me. So what did you do different? The website also says you have to have your truck approved for the towing you are going to do. This was my first choice.
But that is why I decided to just buy my own tow dolly so know one can tell me what I can or can't tow with it.