This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:19 AM
Apprentice

bobconrady is on a distinguished road
Default New member, gonna have many questions!

My name is Bob and I live in Northern Ohio, West of Cleveland. I recently did some "horse trading" and ended up with a 1966 town hardtop that is in very solid condition with 91k on the clock. The story I got on the car was this: The car was purchased here in my hometown on Jan7th 1966 and was loved by the owner until he passed away, leaving it to his daughter. She kept the car garaged until selling it to my wife's cousin last December. We worked out a deal last week and it now resides in my garage! The original owner kept all of his owners manuals and most of his paperwork on the car...I still have a bag of papers that I need to look through, along with a box of spare parts. I work as a mechanic for a living, so I started tearing into it with the intent of making sure that everything is safe and reliable. The left front coil spring is broken, left lower balljoint is shot, brake master cylinder bad, and the carpeting/exhaust need replaced. I ordered new coil springs, all new balljoints, reman master cyl/booster, and new carpet.The coil spring installation seems to worry me the most, it looks like these springs belong on a 5 ton dump truck! The door ID plate is missing, but I found one in a box of parts that came with the car....I don't think it's the correct one though! I believe the paint is original, and when i applied some rubbing compound it shined right up! I will have many questions for you guys here as I dig further into making sure everything works correctly! Bob
Old 09-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Bob,

Congrats on your new acquisition. It sounds like you found a great original car. As far as the data plate goes compare the serial number with the locations on the body where it is stamped. That will tell you if it's the one for your car. You can get reproduction data plates made up if it's not the correct one. Don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you like. Good luck.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vin.jpg (38.8 KB, 96 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconrady View Post
...I will have many questions for you guys here as I dig further into making sure everything works correctly! Bob
Welcome, Bob. Man, you're smack in the middle of Ford country. I'm just across Lake Erie from you (just north of Detroit).

Whatever questions you have, fire away. We have great resources, with experienced restorers and mechanics here. I'm retired from Ford in Dearborn, so I can help as well. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Apprentice

Yes, Lorain assembly plant was 10 minutes from my house! It's a shame they closed it, many a fine T-bird came off the line back then. I appreciate the help you guys have offered! I pulled the master cyl/booster off tonight to replace it, and I noticed the shift linkage from the steering column is apparently missing a bushing.....where it connects to the transmission shift lever. Is there suppose to be one in there? I had intended to leave the brake lines intact due to the fact they looked so solid, but now I am going to replace them with new after seeing the condition of the old fluid.....better safe than sorry, especially when having only 1 resivoir! The receipts I found in the car state that the entire braking system was rebuilt in 1986, with 90k on the odometer...it only has a little over 91k on it now! I'm going to check out that dataplate and cross check it with the locations that jopizz suggested tomorrow. I will let you know what I find. Thanks! Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Welcome, Bob. Man, you're smack in the middle of Ford country. I'm just across Lake Erie from you (just north of Detroit).

Whatever questions you have, fire away. We have great resources, with experienced restorers and mechanics here. I'm retired from Ford in Dearborn, so I can help as well. - Dave
Old 09-26-2014, 11:16 PM

I'm not sure what part you're referring to regarding the shift linkage. Here's a parts diagram. Maybe this will help identify the part you are talking about.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64 shifter.jpg (343.3 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by jopizz : 09-26-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
I'm not sure what part you're referring to regarding the shift linkage. Here's a parts diagram. Maybe this will help identify the part you are talking about.

John
At the bottom of rod #7325 in the picture you provided. Can't tell if there is suppose to be a bushing in there or not. I checked the number at the front of the car, and it is the same as my Vin#. There is another 4 digit # off to the side, but I cant really read it. Guess I will have to get the magnifying glass out!
Old 09-27-2014, 09:43 PM

At the bottom of the rod there's an adjustment connector; part #7B415. That may be what you're missing.

John

Old 09-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Apprentice

No, my #7B415 is there....I should have been more specific....It has slop between #7B415 and #7A256. I believe the bushing I'm speaking about is P/N 371881-S. Probably a dealer-only part? Thanks for the help!
Quote:
At the bottom of the rod there's an adjustment connector; part #7B415. That may be what you're missing.

John
Old 09-27-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconrady View Post
I believe the bushing I'm speaking about is P/N 371881-S. Probably a dealer-only part? Thanks for the help!
I can't find a description of that part. It could be a washer or bushing. You may have to improvise and find something that works.

John

Old 09-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Apprentice

Exactly what I did! I went to autozone, and found a bushing "assortment" for $6. There was one in there that was an exact fit, and it worked perfect. Thanks for your help!
Quote:
I can't find a description of that part. It could be a washer or bushing. You may have to improvise and find something that works.

John