This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road
Default Tires and Wheels

I'm going to upgrade my tires and wheels to something with a more sporty, modern look. I was originally thinking I would go with 15" but lately I've been wanting to go a little larger. Would be great to see some examples of what folks have done with their wheels and tires in that regard. Attached Images
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 09-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

I've seen some Mustangs with 17" mag style wheels (think old style looking satin black 5 spoke Keystones) which I think looked great. A bigger wheel and tire width to fill the opening, but still looking period correct on the car. A subtle change that didn't look out of place at all.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Here's my '60 with 17" x 8", zero offset, Boyd Coddington Junkyard Dogs and 235/55R17 Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires. I think a 17"-18" size with a more "meaty" tire are a nice fit for these cars. Modern, but they don't look out of place like I feel the real low profile "rubber band" tires do. And they fill the wheel wells nicely.

If you go 15" or 16", make sure your tires are tall enough. The original 14" bias tres were 27.5"-28" tall. Even my 17's are 1/2"-1" smaller in diameter than the originals. To small and they don't fill the wheel wells well and the car sits too low.

More pics here and here.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road
Default Tires and Rims

When I had the larger tires/rims on my car, I could never get them off unless I used a jack on the bumper to lift the car and let the differential drop to clear the wheel well. Just something to think about.
Overall, the look of the wider tires on these cars is nice.
I'm pretty sure my friend has 16's on the front and 17's on the rear.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2783.jpg (372.9 KB, 220 views)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

15" Ansens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1055.jpg (560.9 KB, 213 views)
Old 09-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Hey Greg. I just noticed, those rear wheel wells sure aren't factory. That's one way to get those big tires to fit.
Nyles
Old 09-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default Our 58 with 17"

Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
I'm going to upgrade my tires and wheels to something with a more sporty, modern look. I was originally thinking I would go with 15" but lately I've been wanting to go a little larger. Would be great to see some examples of what folks have done with their wheels and tires in that regard. Attached Images
I really need to get better photos of her. Running Mustang 17x8 rims with 235 up front and 275 in the rear.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
When I had the larger tires/rims on my car, I could never get them off unless I used a jack on the bumper to lift the car and let the differential drop to clear the wheel well. Just something to think about.
Yeah, getting the rears off of mine are a bit of a pain, but manageable. I jack at the forward spring mounts and let the axle drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
I'm pretty sure my friend has 16's on the front and 17's on the rear.
If you're referring to the image you attached, that looks like they are more likely 17s and 18s. That front looks to o big to be 16"
Old 09-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Running Mustang 17x8 rims with 235 up front and 275 in the rear.
Quote:
I've seen some Mustangs with 17" mag style wheels (think old style looking satin black 5 spoke Keystones) which I think looked great.
That's it!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Super-Experienced

Keep in mind with newer Mustang take-offs you'll likely need spacers as I think they have some positive offset. I think Rusty runs spacers on his.