This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Check Valves & Head Thermostats

David ~ JBird sent me these questions and the pic. Can anyone address this for him?

In the pic the red highlighted circle shows the threaded hole in the block to connect a vacuum line to the internal vacuum pump located below my oil pump.

In the vacuum line there is a check valve which closes off the vacuum pump unless the intake vacuum gets low in passing or climbing a hill. In rain, that would cause the vacuum wipers to stall. That's bad at night in the rain.

When the vacuum went low, the wiper motor switched from intake vacuum to the oil pump vacuum which actually increased when passing when RPM picked up.

When the check valve leaked, oil could be sucked all the way through the wiper motor into the intake manifold. That made a cloud of oil smoke out the exhaust.

My question is. has anyone reproduced these check valves for my 59 T-Bird? Mine is ok yet but I'd like A SPARE.

Also how about the head thermostats? Any around? I know people remove them but I'd like to put mine back in.

Thanks,

JBird
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 430.JPG (86.8 KB, 32 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

The purpose of the check valve is to allow passage of vacuum in one direction only. The particular check valve used on the MEL motor is not being reproduced, but can be replaced by adapting an A/C or other automotive check valve in its' place. I've got several of the block thermostats, send me a PM.
Carl
Old 08-01-2014, 06:39 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I have a new check valve with 3/8" hose connections on both ends. If you need one, send me a PM. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca