This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

[quote=scumdog;101706]Dave, I have found a retarded ignition timing caused the engine to run hotter, once enough to make the headers glow red hot.[quote]

Retarding the timing a reasonable sum, for reasonable fuel octane compatibility, doesn't reduce cylinder temps significantly before reducing performance to an unacceptable level. It does change the point in crankshaft rotation where peak pressure is acquired and it's sum (and yes, this will reduce temp some, but the comparison is not to an improper tune with detonation & pre-ignition events), but, it will increase exhaust temps greatly, as you reduce the cool-down period, during the cylinder volume expansion, as the piston travels down the bore prior to the exhaust valve opening, and if excessive will cause failure of the exhaust valve. This increased exhaust gas temperature also exists in the cylinder head port/passage (& headers which glow red) and increases load to the cooling system, which may explain increased operating coolant temps.

BTW, please note, in the quote, the reference begins: the 1940s and ........... higher performance engines; as manufacture's engine performance post WWll increased dramatically, and so should the lubricating oils. Scott.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Experienced

[quote=simplyconnected;
because the fuel is only partially burned it actually helps cool the combustion chamber.

Generally, the value of using excess fuel volume to cool the cylinder temps, is reaped on the inlet stroke, and through impeding the flame front propagation upon ignition due to the overly rich mixture; and is accomplished via air/fuel ratio adjustments.

pistons are hypereutectic alloy and the rings are moly. All of which quench heat far better than the materials of the day. - Dave[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure "quench heat" is applicable here?

The particularly favorable values of hypereutectic aluminum alloy material (developed by NASA!; therefore maybe we shouldn't use in our cars?) is the low thermal coefficient of expansion and improved strength at the elevated temperatures experienced in application, this presenting several benefits. This superior dimensional stability in the cylinder is acquired by the increase of silicon present in the alloy to the hypereutectic level, and therefore silicon precipitates into the matrix forming crystalline structures. This effect gives the piston surface a certain reflective value to heat, and also acts to insulate, and reduce thermal conductivity through the casting (as compared to standard cast aluminum material as used in the '50s & '60s), meaning, more heat remains in the cylinder rather than absorbed.

The moly (molybdenum) rings; this is a surface treatment/application to the ring face to create a friendlier surface contact with the cylinder wall. The moly surface is softer and conforms more readily than the standard grey iron ring (less break-in period), and it is more porous and therefore retains additional oil to provide increase lubricity & reduce scuffing (again as compared to the gray cast iron rings of the '50s & '60's). This does not not enhance thermal conductivity but would only impede such; but the ring may run cooler due to reduced friction/scuffing with the cylinder wall. Scott.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

No, no... Do not misquote me. If you want to use my statements, you must use the whole meaning and include the full sentences. Partial or misleading quotes will be removed.

Practically ALL car manufacturers have built their engines with hypereutectic alloy pistons since before 1990. Ford has also included Hastings moly rings in their engine builds. Again, these modern materials are partially why modern engines typically last more than 200k miles.

Another improvement in valve train mass is the overhead cam. Instead of rocker arms, they use roller followers to contact the cam. Instead of lifters, they use lash adjusters. There are no pushrods. Since roller followers have needle bearings there is no need for ZDDP in modern oil. That satisfies the EPA and catalytic converters. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Experienced

PLEASE EXPLAIN?:

[quote=simplyconnected; No, no... Do not misquote me. If you want to use my statements, you must use the whole meaning and include the full sentences. Partial or misleading quotes will be removed.

I don't believe any statements made are incorrect, or misleading (at least not enough to get our "feathers" ruffled over), but I have been wrong before, so correct me where appropriate (but are somewhat abbreviated so as to remain "on-point"), as that is how is should be, and we all learn something along the way.

AND REMEMBER!:

- Dave[/QUOTE]
Squrarebirds.org is one of the friendliest sites on the planet. We are dedicated to helping others as set forth by our founder, Alexander.

I hope I didn't mis-quote you again? Scott.