This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road
Default Vent window rebuild

Got my vent windows out this weekend and I'm ready to rebuild them with new weatherstripping. Does anyone have a write up on the process and in particular removal and installation of the blind rivets? Pictures would be fantastic! And a great addition to the TRL.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 07-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

James:
I did write up a small procedure for another member when I sent him some of my extra rivets. I didn't put pictures to the document, but I do have a lot of pics. I'll send what I have in a PM as I can't attach a Word doc here.
Things I would recommend are:
1. If you remove the rain shields, the replacement rivets need to be "hollow" rivets. I couldn't find any, so I had to drill solid core rivets to work.
2. Definitely replace the small guide at the top of the vertical channel. It protects the glass. Avail. from TBird houses.
3. If you need to replace the felt in the vertical channel, I have been using the soft side of 2" wide velcro with industrial adhesive and it works great. I have a guy on Ebay that will sell you just the soft side material. He is also a car enthusiast and was curious why I just wanted one side of the velcro. If you buy the replacement vertical rails, you will have to remove the mounting brackets and reattach them to the new.
4. If you replace the vent glass, beware, as many of the precuts are wrong. They have a 3/4" radius on the top and bottom of the glass and this will prevent them from properly sealing. Had to have Bob's glass cut some to match my original glass.
5. If you need to rechrome, good luck. My 2 frames cost about $350, but the shop did a nice job on them .
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3037.jpg (336.3 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3038.jpg (411.6 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3039.jpg (412.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg New glass vs old glass (1).jpg (280.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3779.jpg (287.8 KB, 138 views)
Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

Excellent! You give me a lot to think about. Thanks

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 07-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Nice tip on the Velcro. My felt looks good but was wondering about what to do if it wasn't. I've seen replacement Chanel but new stuff never fits like the original.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Super-Experienced

I looked at the options, and by the time you change out all the mounting brackets on the new channels, it is actually easier to reline the originals. If you ever want any info on how I did it, just PM me and I will give you the details. It's a little tricky to get that super sticky velcro into the tracks. It costs about $6 to reline the original channels vs. $50 for buying new. Also, the rear channels are not available aftermarket, so they need to be restored. I attached some pics of the relined channels.

Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Channel with new velcro 1.jpg (360.2 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Channel with new velcro 2.jpg (389.6 KB, 171 views)
Old 07-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Super-Experienced

Let me know if you need some rivets. It only takes a few rivets to go back together, but usually you have to buy at least 25-50. I still have extras, and they can be a bit tricky to find them.
Nyles
Old 07-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
I looked at the options, and by the time you change out all the mounting brackets on the new channels, it is actually easier to reline the originals. If you ever want any info on how I did it, just PM me and I will give you the details. ...
Done! But why not share it in the forum?
Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Super-Experienced

Default Window Channel Lining

Here is a link to the Ebay seller I have been using for the Velcro. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=301224996427

Here are the steps I used to install the velcro:
1. Remove all of the old felt and then clean the channel with an oil free solvent.
2. Cut a piece of velcro about 2" longer than the channel being lined.
3. Measure the inside width of the channel and then draw lines on the backside of the velcro strip (paper side), on center, matching the inside width of the channel.
4. With an exacto knife, carefully cut the paper strip out of the center and remove the paper.
5. Fold the velcro strip in half and carefully insert the sticky side of the velcro into the channel so the sticky side contacts the bottom of the channel. I used a small piece of wood to press the velcro firmly to the bottom.
6. Using a needle nose pliers, carefully start to peel the remaining paper from the sides of the velcro and and attach it to the side of the channel.
7. Using the exacto knife, follow the small ridge in the channel and carefully trim off the excess velcro. Go slow and make sure you are using a new blade.
8. At the bottom end of the channel, I split the velcro overhang and wrapped it around the end. Just thought this might stop any creep of the velcro in the track.
NOTE: The vent window channel is narrower than the rear channel, since the glass has the s.s. trim around it, which makes it thicker. The rear channel is more critical to get the initial cut of paper on center.
Hope this works for you.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3052.jpg (425.6 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3170.jpg (460.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3168.jpg (428.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3171.jpg (432.7 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Channel with new velcro 2.jpg (377.0 KB, 152 views)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Banned

Nice! Mine are assembled but out of the car. I think I'll redo them before I put that part of the car back together, and prevent some future creak-a-thon.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Ford Man

orwin is on a distinguished road
Default Help with vent window rivets

Hello,

TBird1044's post was very useful, especially the advice re. the velcro. But I have my vent assemblies off the car and am totally stuck on the rivets.

1. The little "tip" assemblies from Tbird HQ came with rivets, but the rivets are much longer than the old ones that came out. Without even trying, I can see that they are not going to squash down properly. 2. Can't see how to get a tool in the groove to squash them even if the rivets were right. I bought a vent window rivet "tool" for 100$ which is basically like a C clamp - waste of money. No way will that go into the groove. 3. Same issue with the vertical weatherstrips. They came with what appears to be the right rivets, but again, the "tool" isn't going to fit in the space. These rivets seems like they would work on the "tips", but no extras and no one seems to sell just rivets.

Can anyone help? Where to get the right rivets? I have some hollow ones if that is the only choice. Another idea is 3/32" pop rivets but they are not correct like originals. The biggest question is what to use to squash the rivets. I have a lathe and could possibly make a tool if I knew exactly what it should look like.

(Desperate at this point)

Thanks,

John
Tbird Registry #1590