This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:56 PM

Rangoon is on a distinguished road
Default Pertronic electronic ignition??

Hello everyone! I had the 1963 equipped with a stock 1967 390, 2bbl out last Sunday and it started to act as if it were running out of gas. (the tank is nearly half full) by playing with the gas pedal, I kept it from dying and was sure it would not get me back up a major hill on the blacktop where I live. Although it surged and loped, it did get me back home. What a relief! (Anyone who has had an old car has had that sick feeling of being broken down along the road).

This event has motivated me to do some things this week that I have been putting off since purchasing the car several years ago. I had already had the carb rebuilt right after purchasing. So now I started with removing the access plate and the sender from the gas tank. Pickup sock was very clean and surprising little rust in the original tank. I blew air through the line after removing it from the fuel pump. I then changed the canister filter on the fuel pump (pump looks like it has been replaced in the last 10 years or so), although the old filter did not look too bad. Also has an inline filter before the carb that I had replaced when the carb was rebuilt. So tonight I got it all buttoned up, poured a little gas down the carb (A couple of times) and she fired right off leading me to believe the fuel pump is strong and not the problem. but it was too late to take for a test drive. I am apprehensive because I didn't really find anything that looks like it was causing my problem.

The guy at the parts store told me that it could be my ignition and specifically the coil "breaking down". Has anyone had experience with this problem? I am thinking of buying an electronic ignition and new coil ($105) just to add more reliability to the car as I really enjoy driving it and would drive it even more except that my wife is always super afraid of "sitting next to the road".

Sorry for the length of post, just wanted to give enough info to get useful feedback and opinions re: electronic ignition from someone who has first hand experience.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 06-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

I haven't had good luck with a Pertronix module in my distributor. For some reason it just fried. So I reinstalled the old points and condenser.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

When I got my '59 Squarebird in 2007, it had a Pertronix electronic ignition and coil on it and it has worked perfect ever since...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 PM

1"against" and 1 "for". Hmmmm. Thanks guys for the replies! Anybody else out there want to weigh in-heres your chance.

Had to be out of town on family matters all weekend and now very busy with farm work so still have not had time to take on test run to see if I accidently cured the surging/half dying problem.

Dale
Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Dale, there are a good number of us on here who are running electronic ignition with no problems that I am aware of. Hopefully, others will say something about their experiences with it. I will not go back to points.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-17-2014, 12:11 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post
1"against" and 1 "for". Hmmmm. Thanks guys for the replies! Anybody else out there want to weigh in-heres your chance.

Had to be out of town on family matters all weekend and now very busy with farm work so still have not had time to take on test run to see if I accidently cured the surging/half dying problem.

Dale
I installed a similar module in the distributor of my 79 Kawasaki back in the day and that kit worked fine up until I sold it a decade later. That was actually a dual point distributor in a 4 cylinder. I've made huge changes to the electrical system of my project Bird and it's likely I had wired my Pertonics wrong. But the points work for me for now, so until I finish the project I'm not going to try it again.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Dale, there are a good number of us on here who are running electronic ignition with no problems that I am aware of. Hopefully, others will say something about their experiences with it. I will not go back to points.
I had one in our 65 I sold and I have one in our 58. Can't really comment much about either one. Installed them and have never had to think about it since. Had the one in the 58 for probably eight years now, granted it doesn't get driven much.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:11 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post

Dale
My '66 Thunderbird had a Pertonix in it when I bought it in '05, still going strong.

I replaced the twin-points in my hot-rod '55 F100 back in '02 or so, it conked out in '12 so I bought TWO replacements, one sits behind the seat 'just in case'
Not as cheap but easier to fit than an old set of points, condenser etc. as some advocate.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:28 AM
Experienced

FINSRIN is on a distinguished road

59 Galaxie sat for 4-5 years. With new points, cond, cap, rotor, battery, gas, starting fluid,,, would light a cylinder occasionally but not run.
Installed Pertronics. Coughed, sputtered, smoked, then settled to running good in a minute or two.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:05 PM

Thumbs up

Well today was the day for the first test drive after going through the fuel system and everything went great! Started right off and never has ran better. Don't want to jinx things, but it must have been one of the fuel filters after all. Also adjusted the float on the sender arm while I had it out the other day so now my gauge reads more accurately.

Also replaced the gasket under the sender and lock ring and so far, no sign of gas leakage even with the tank pretty full and trying to get it to slop around. The old gasket was all rolled up and out of position.

Thanks for the input regarding the electronic ignition, I may still install one, but you know the old saying "if its not broke". So I may just enjoy the good running car for now

Dale