This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:23 PM

lake bird is on a distinguished road
Default starter still spins

Starter still spinnig after retracting off the flywheel, new starter solinoid, ignition switch, headlight switch...wiring looks correct...there is a slight voltage 4.5 v across the ign start term to the starter term on the new starter soloniod ?

maybe another soloniod or ignition switch change out, ign sw terms seemed wat to loose for a new MAC's unit....
Old 05-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road

I have had my ignition switch out several times and on one ocassion I got it back in tilted and the the key would not return all the way from the start position back to the ON position and my starter continued to spin
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Put a test light on the solenoid post that comes from the ignition switch (red/blue wire) and see if the light goes out when you release the key. If not then your switch is bad or not wired correctly. When you replaced the ignition switch did you check the lettering on the posts. The last new switch I got the posts were in different places from the original switch. I wired it the same instead of checking and had a similar problem.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-22-2014, 11:19 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I am testing my memory, which can be dangerous, but if you are talking about the ign. terminal on the starter solenoid, I could see how this would have a lower voltage reading when running. The ign. terminal on the solenoid was designed to put full voltage to the ignition coil/points momentarily when the starter is engaged. There is a resistor wire going to the coil, to drop voltage and make the points last longer, so this circuit would bypass the resistor wire. It would make sense that you are reading this lower voltage when the car is running as that would be ignition voltage. I never checked this, but one day I will to verify.
Nyles