This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road
Default Cigarette Lighter Voltmeter

After reading about these on the site, I decided to buy one. 2 of my friends also wanted one, so I ordered 3 on Ebay for $2.50 each. I first tested it in my VW and it worked fine. Then I put in the TBird and couldn't get it to read anything. The large chrome bezel, around the cig lighter socket, is so thick that it did not allow the bottom pin in the voltmeter to contact the the + part of the lighter. After looking at it for a while, I decided to drill the bottom pin and slip in a 1/2" by 1/8" pop rivet. Stuck it back in the cig lighter and it works like a champ. It's nice to see what you charging system is actually doing. The cig lighter is wired to battery + so it will stay on all the time. Don't really think it would pull much power out of the battery, but I just pull it back a little in the socket and it goes out. Just thought I'd pass this along.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4272.jpg (387.3 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4273.jpg (423.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4274.jpg (245.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4275.jpg (218.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 04-26-2014, 06:12 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the post and glad to know you're happy with the meter, Nyles. I hope everyone jumps on this little gem. It is super cheap and super accurate. I don't know how the Chinese make them so cheap and ship them for free.

I made a couple for myself and one for JohnG but I couldn't possibly make and sell them for $2.50.

The ones I made draw .02-amps when plugged in. Putting this in perspective, one #44 dash bulb draws ten times more power. So, these meters can be left on for months with no danger of draining the battery.

I see your first picture was taken with the engine off and the meter correctly reports 12-volts. The second picture shows the system is charging at 13.5-volts, which is very healthy and correct.

In my opinion, the volt meter tells more than an ammeter because it reports the state of the battery in real time. At a glance, before you put the key in the igintion, you instantly know exactly how much charge your battery has. After the engine is started, you can see the volts climb as the battery charges (or not).

Keep an extra in your tool box for troubleshooting your daily drivers. Did you ever run the radio while detailing the car and wonder if you ran the battery down too far to start? This meter is accurate and it will tell you. When voltage gets down to about 10.5 volts, it's time to start the car and let it charge back up. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Experienced

Larry is on a distinguished road

I have one also and think they are great! You know exactly how many volts you are making at a glance, unlike conventional gauges where you are taking a guess because the pointer is somewhere between a few spreed out numbers. Mine has a usb port also, a little more money but makes it multi-functional also.
Just a great addition for so little money
Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Pinball Larry

lnoska is on a distinguished road

I also bought two for me and three for my buddies. They are in transit from China. The pop rivet is a grate idea, will see if it will be neded when the ones I ordered get here.

Larry
Thunderbird Redistry #39303
Old 04-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Super-Experienced

I was really happy with the way it worked out. A 1/2" long X 1/8" pop rivet fit right in and the spring inside of the unit holds it tight. Quick and easy work around.
Nyles
Old 04-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

I'll have to get one - we run 4 pre '85 cars so it's always a handy thing when the battery shows signs of not up to the task
Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Cigarette Lighter Voltmeter

I found a version with the USB connector on it to charge your phone, on eBay for $4.83 Buy It Now price with free shipping from China. You get to chose a red, green or blue display color. Here is the link to it. It will take a few weeks to get it though with free shipping. There are many of them like this for sale, but this is the cheapest one. There was one for $2+, but it was out of stock. Normally, I would not post an eBay listing here, but since we have a thread going about this subject here I will.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2IN1-USB-Car...item5d4aaa54c0

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Apprentice

fcar is on a distinguished road

Thank you!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Super-Experienced

Mine came out of China and I had it within a week of ordering. Just info.
Nyles
Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road

I got 1 of these today I think the readings might be off, with key out 13.2 car started 14.1 ( It gives me the same range in the Mustang 13.4 - 14.6) driving @ 30 mph it read 17.9 then while idling at the light 13.4, then back in garage with key off 13.7 but bouncing up and down. Is it telling me anything?
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/