This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
I'm going to install a set of air shocks on the rear and see how that works out. I did have the rear leaf springs rebuilt and rearched, but the rear of the car still seems to sit a little low. When I get them installed, I let you guys know how it all worked out.
Nyles
When I've had a similar issue I have asked the spring-maker to include an extra leaf under the main one when getting them re-set - it stops the bum from sagging and gives a firmer ride.

Air-shocks are a 'patch-up'.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

newbird59-

my car sits lower in the front primarily because the front tires are 26" diameter, and the rear tires are 28". Plus, there is a heavy 460 under the hood. My leaf springs in the back were "stock" units from McVeigh's Truck Springs. They have an ebay store, and the price was very fair.

The Lakewood bars don't add anything to the ride height; that's not their purpose. What they do is prevent horrible wheel-hop when removing rubber from the rear tires.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road

my 60 non AC has springs with a yellow stripe. I think it sits to high in the front
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg tbird41614.jpeg (129.1 KB, 175 views)
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
Old 04-29-2014, 01:27 AM
Experienced

newbird59 is on a distinguished road

Ok guys,

Looks like I have the same as yellow98cobra. Black with a yellow strip. Everything is super dirty....I have to figure out what to clean the parts with. I'm calling to see about the rebuild kit tomorrow. We will find out really quick who will supply U.S. bushings. Stay tuned!

Thanks Greg, that helps me understand a little better.

David
Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Experienced

newbird59 is on a distinguished road

Looks like Kanter won't guarantee that any bushings are made in the USA. The guy basically said that you get what you get. Not super helpful...ill keep looking!!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I'm just glad that there are ANY parts available for these old cars.

But maybe if people start asking for U.S.-made parts....maybe that part of the business will change...
Old 04-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
I'm just glad that there are ANY parts available for these old cars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1044 View Post
A squarebird friend changed his motor mounts about 2 years ago, with mounts made in India, and he now had to change them again because they cracked and failed. I have heard some others also say they have had problems with rubber items from India. If I could find U.S. products, I would definitely spend the extra $$ as I'm getting to old for reworks.
Nyles
This job isn't easy. If the only available inferior parts last only two years, we're in deep trouble.
Call Tee-bird.com (800) 423-3723 and ask Bill if he can get domestic bushings. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Have you tried contacting RockAuto parts. They show Raybestos and also AC Delco available for the 1960 Bird. They also have a "service" and "professional" grade bushing available. May be worth a phone call and see what they say.
I'm also checking with a friend that found U.S. bushings for his car after the India bushings failed in less than 2 years.
Nyles
Old 04-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road

I was looking over the parts I got in the Kanter kit and the strut bushing are stamped made in the USA by Ramcoa. http://ramcoa.com/ there website only shows the strut bushings for our Tbirds. you might call them for info...

There are no point of origin marks on any of the other bushings. The inner tie rod has a sticker on the package made in Argentina
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
Old 05-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine suggested that if you want U.S. parts, check out Rareparts.com. I have never used them and just checked out their site. They do have parts listed for the Squarebirds, but they seem a little pricey. It might be worth the extra cost to get good parts, if you consider the labor and alignment costs of doing your front end. I would definitely contact them and talk one to one about their parts prior to purchase. I have never used Rareparts.com so if anyone does contact them, give us some feedback. We're always looking for a reliable supplier of parts.
Just as a side note, they list the front springs for the 430 engine, but not the 352. Hmmm?
Nyles