This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Experienced

newbird59 is on a distinguished road

Ok....so you guys are bringing up good points.

It seems like Carl (partsetal), Dave (simplyconnected), Nyles (Tbird1044) and Eric (DKheld) are all seeing some flaws in overseas bushings. I will call up Kanter and see if I can request american made bushings on a kit. Unless anyone else has alternative options.

Dave, thank you for the tips on how to go about this process. I didn't take any photos of the disassembly of the driver side suspension....I just know that it was a b*#ch to remove. haha. It's not normal for me NOT to take photos, I think I just got distracted. Putting everything back together might be a huge challenge so I'll start to mark everything. Do you have a parts number for the best front stabilizer bar??

Hey Greg, Do you know for a fact that the springs were heavier for your A/C car? I am going to have a similar build to yours with your 460. Do you know of any products out there that will help handling with our set up?

Thanks guys. HUGE help.

David
Old 04-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

David,

I searched on poly A-arm bushings for the TBird and Galaxie (pretty sure they are the same). Anyway - no luck. Looks like you will have to go with the original style. Interested to see what you find - may have to do mine again.

Someone else can confirm but remember seeing info that the A/C cars had a different mark on the springs and possibly a different box checked on the ROT sheet. My guess is it would be a good idea to at least change yours to the A/C style. Carl Heller may have a good used set and he's a super nice fellow to deal with.

We ought to be able to come up with enough collective knowledge and pics to get your front suspension back together.

Pay no attention to the Granada spindles....

Eric
Old 04-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

According to the parts book squarebirds had the same springs with or without air. In 58,59 they had an aluminum (2325 load lbs) stripe for a 352, purple (2225 load lbs) stripe for a 59 430. 1960 had a purple (2225 load lbs) stripe for all motors.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Yep - mine had the purple stripe on them before I rebuilt the front suspension (can't find my darn pic). Well that's one less thing to worry about on mine since I'm adding air to a non A/C car.

Eric
Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

I rebuilt my front end shortly back in 2007, I have a gallery of pics posted on my website. They ought to help you get it back together.

I used the Kanter kit, but I've heard from lots of folks here and at the forum for Dad's Caddy that their parts quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Mine had yellow markings on the springs and measured exactly to spec 915.75") so I put 'em back in. My '60 has the 352 and no air.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Wink

How about running new front coil springs for a 1959-60 430cid Bird WITH A/C??

These should be slightly stronger....

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

It all comes down to how you want your car to sit (the car's "stance"). If you put stiff springs up front, then maybe the back of the car will sit too low. With things like this, I think we all just kind of have to figure it out on our own.

Just a few weeks ago, I FINALLY got my car to sit square at the rear. I had the right leaf spring arched a few inches more than the left. Why did that need to be done? Hell, nobody but the car itself knows why, and the car still hasnt revealed that secret.....

(Although there is evidence of a fender-bender on the passenger side at some point in the car's history.)
Old 04-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Experienced

newbird59 is on a distinguished road

Hey John, Thanks for clarifying that for the front springs! You're a champ! I'm going to be home later and i'll see what I have. My bird is a 1960 hartop so we will see if they are original (can't see why they wouldn't be but who knows!).

Thank you for the support Eric! Also,thank you for your pictures! I'll let you guys know very soon what I find. I'll call a few places to ask about bushings and other things next week.

Thank you for your link dgs. You literally have a play-by-play on this! Awesome!

Hey Greg, I plan on the car having some rake...So getting the right balance is important. I have zero clue where to start. I notice your bird is lower in the front and that you have Lakewood traction bars in the rear. Did that provide you with any lift in the rear since you are using stock front springs? Also, are those a universal set of traction bars?

Thanks again guys!

David
Old 04-26-2014, 03:03 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

David,

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to install a set of air shocks on the rear and see how that works out. I did have the rear leaf springs rebuilt and rearched, but the rear of the car still seems to sit a little low. When I get them installed, I let you guys know how it all worked out.
Nyles