This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I saw the same type tag on a '60 convertible years ago. It was mounted on the door pillar also. That would be an odd coincidence if it didn't have anything to do with the car.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

The Rouge has hundreds of vehicles (cars and trucks), for the exclusive use of each plant. They are called, 'pool cars'. Some maintenance vehicles (F-150s and E-150s) never get a license plate because they never drive outside the Rouge (it's 2-1/2 miles square with a railroad and great lakes ship slip). None of these vehicles have brass tags because Ford uses VIN numbers. Every few years Ford sells them off because they are in real bad shape.

Executives get 'lease' cars. The attraction for the lease cars is, they come with insurance. Lease cars don't get brass tags, either. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-03-2014, 11:47 AM

Tailfins4ever is on a distinguished road
Default Wixom tag

Good Morning Gents, You got me to finally register with the site on this one, 'cause I've got the same tag on my 60 hdtp. Mine is located directly below the oval wire opening and is installed very straight and level using 2 black tapered head phillips screws. It seems there are a lot of these tags out there from reading other posts on this forum. Doesn't seem to make sense that it's a joke by one of the line workers. Mine is #1122
Steve
Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Slow Typist

I forgot to mention, Ford 'pool cars' had their own license plate prefixes, so they could easily be identified as company cars.

I worked in many Ford plants and for Body & Assembly Div. If Wixom put brass tags on their cars, that was a mistake that no other assembly plant followed. Brass tags are always permanently riveted in place, not screwed in with Phillips head screws. If Wixom did mount the tags, the same people would mount them (as a function of their job) and they would be in the same place on each car. Again, these are equipment tags. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsetal View Post
I spotted this Wixom tag on a '60 HT door pillar on an ebay listing. Any idea what it represents?
Carl
I've seen them before on '60 'Birds that I've documented, including a '60 convertible that used to be owned by a former VTCI South East Regional Director. I haven't found out the significance of this tag yet but assume it has something to do with internal accounting, maybe quality control tracking? Remember, over 90,000 '60s were built, plus all of the Lincolns. Perhaps asking if any '60 Lincoln owners have this tag affixed to their cars on the Lincoln Continental Owners Club (LCOC) forum may yield some more info.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:23 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Wixom tag

I don't know anyone on the LCOC Forum, but I did send this link to John Peters ~ driller to us, on the LOD Forum to see if he has any knowledge of what this tag represents and if any LOD members have reported it being found on their Lincolns...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road

Ray, I've already posted the question to the Lincoln people. One person posted a link back to this discussion on the topic:

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...e1960Tbird.htm

Another person who's familiar with '61-'67 convertibls has never seen one on a Lincoln. If I see anything more I'll report back, but I'm not holding my breath in the meantime.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:31 AM
Slow Typist

Alan, thanks for referring us back to the QC Inspector who actually worked in the Drive Away Garage at Wixom. Let's see what he had to say when Ray spoke with him:

"I gave him (Bob Oeschger, Wixom Quality Control Inspector) the description of the brass looking tag that was posted. He said it sounds like, from my description, that was one of the inventory tags that was on their equipment, chairs, desks, etc.. Apparently, someone mounted one on that car as a joke. It should not have been there." QC should know.

I understand Wixom is very big, and Bob couldn't possibly know every single operations detail. Bob said a couple things that simply wasn't true. One of them was, a car took seven days to produce. No, it took three shifts. Most of that time was 'wait' time, like going through the sealer deck and 'prime' ovens and then 'base coat' ovens and staging areas.

Wixom didn't have a body shop, so that manufacturing time is gone. The Body Shop is normally the bottleneck (or 'controller') in every assembly plant because welding equipment is unpredictable (copper spot-welder points pull out, guns 'stick', automation and transfer equipment 'glitches', etc.).

Budd made the Squarebird bodys. And by the way, notice where the VIN number is stamped:

The '58 and '59 locations may have been accessible but not 1960 models. These bodys came with the cowl tops already welded in place. That means the VIN number was stamped BEFORE the body got to Wixom. It also means, Ford's Scheduling Dept., told Budd which body types, how many to make, and what 'mix' to ship, like every fourth body will be a convertible, because the line workers cannot keep up if all the convertibles come at once.

Did the body trucks make it to Wixom in order? Nope, not all the time. So the ROT sheets were produced and broadcast to the different departments when the body hit the line and the guy who riveted the data plate on in Trim, had to match the frame numbers (that already existed) with the right plate (they had a tray full of plates, waiting for the body).

Bob the QC guy, simply said the VIN must have been put on before Paint, because he wasn't involved with "Scheduling".

Budd may have assembled the body but that doesn't mean they stamped out all the parts. There were many hundreds of small stamping plants around the greater Detroit area. One of them, Bush Mfg., made Thunderbird and Continental hoods at 250/hour. Now, Doc. Bush is gone and so is his factory. The dies were owned by Ford and returned to Ford at the end of the model. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road

Dave Tanx for the explanation on the brass tags.
Will add one piece on the stamped location of the vin numbers on 58's. The stamped number was also on the drivers side frame rail under the steering box. I have not found it on all 58's and with so few cars left there may be no way to document when it was put on the drivers frame rail.

Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi
tmjsong1@aol.com
Old 01-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Slow Typist

Thank You for acknowledgement, Fuz. It always struck me as very odd, how folks far removed from the products and their manufacture, deem themselves 'authorities' on the subject.

All cars are built to exact specifications we call, 'standards'. The Quality Control Department's job is to make **** sure that no deviation is allowed, or let me put it another way, each inspector's job is on the line if these standards are not upheld without exception. Each supporting plant and the final assembly plant, employs an army of inspectors. Stamping Plants are responsible for good, drawable steel, to the fabricated part, to the assembly, including the quality of sealant used between (good) spot welded subassemblies. "Gauge fit" is only a visual part of this.

World Headquarters & the UAW are responsible to produce cars that meet Federal Gov't standards. The insurance companies, dealerships... right on down the line to finally the customer, depend on each car to be correct. If still not right, Ford's warranty ensures compliance.

All the designers and engineers are long gone. So is Wixom. Those folks were seriously proud of their work and 'money' was secondary. I am proud to have known and worked with many of those engineers during my employ at Ford.
Bill Bone, Mfg. Dev. Engineer, showed me his Ford Letter of Commendation for his work in the induction hardening process for our camshafts. 'Little' victories like this produced great subsequent products. I worked with them for decades and ultimately attended many of their retirement parties.

Here we are having fun fifty years later, going over the stat's, and wondering why things were... You had to be there to fully appreciate much of it (including the politics). - Dave

--Lee Iacocca