This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road
Default Brass Tag - Wixom

Here's the last photos of a 1960 J hardtop number 20877. The owner allowed me to take the data plate and a additional plate that was screwed to the door pillar below the data plate.

Does anyone recognize this Wixon tag? Thinking it may have been an Assembly line workers brass that was dropped in the car, later found by the owner and screwed to the pillar. Those not familiar with the term brass, I've worked at construction site with so many workers that a 'brass' system was used for time keeping and to track workers. When you report in the morning, ask for your brass, they then record your time and at the end of the day you drop it off as a way to clock out, that was the eighties.

Maybe Ford workers used this convention at the time. The brass number doesn't correlate with the data plate that I can see. Anyone see this before?

This car had been owned by an enthusiast, displayed a VTCA decal, so it was being preserved in the seventies or eighties. The car was left at a body shop for work, went unclaimed for twelve years till the last owner bought it two years ago. His intentions were to restore, than sell, finally parted the car. Another one lost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20877_1.JPG (8.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 20877_2.JPG (8.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg dataplate20877.jpg (21.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg wixon2364JPG.jpg (13.4 KB, 175 views)
Old 02-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

That's a pretty good guess. I wouldn't have thought of that
Old 02-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Wink

Ken that is quite some find and something worth investigating. The brass tag should have some meaning from Wixom and it's too bad that is has closed down. Let us know if you find out the purpose of it??

REgards,
Old 02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

The brass tag is an inventory ID tag and was originally attached to a piece of asset at the plant. The asset could be anything from a chair in the break room to an impact gun on the assembly line. In the old days business' had to inventory all assets for tax purposes and so you will find those tags on any property owned by a reasonably large company. I have all the assets from an Dr's office from the 1930's through the 1950's and it has the same type of tags with the doctors name. I assume there were companies that went around and inventoried and ID companies assets. I also have an impact from Dearborn with one of those tags and a chair from the San Jose assembly plant with similar tag. Hawkrod
Old 02-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information. Come to think of it I remember tags on all the office furniture of companies I worked from in the the seventies and eighties. Ours were much smaller with the company name and logo, glued on. Now-a-days I don't see the tags anymore, most stuff is now leased.

Nice little piece of history that must have traveled with that car since it was built.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:40 AM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road
Default Wixom Tag

I have seen the same kind of tag on a '60 convertible that was owned by former VTCI South East Regional Director Tom Schirra that was at the '95 VTCI South East Regional in Nashville. We couldn't make heads or tails as to why a car would have one of these on it.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road
Default Wixom tag

I spotted this Wixom tag on a '60 HT door pillar on an ebay listing. Any idea what it represents?
Carl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wixom tag.jpg (36.3 KB, 128 views)
Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Wixom tag

Woww! I have never seen anything like that before! Maybe Dave, Fuz or Alan knows.. Interesting! It could be a car that was tagged for use by Ford executives... That is the only thing I can think of.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I've seen that tag before but could never figure out what it meant. Maybe Dave would know.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

HA, hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa.... It's a brass tag!
This is too funny...
Every Ford plant keeps track of their equipment for tax purposes, and to keep things straight. In the Rouge, there are LOTS of plants next door to each other. It wouldn't take much for a few guys to go next door and steal a band saw for the plant they are working in, except for the brass tag.

Each piece of equipment gets a brass tag with a unique number. For instance, all the drill presses, lathes; any piece of equipment that the plant uses for manufacturing cars. It's Ford's way of keeping inventory of their capital expenses. Robots would get a brass tag IF they are owned by Ford (and not leased). So would presses, conveyors, draw die loaders, floor scrubbers, etc., in the Stamping Plant. Each plant has their own tags.

Normally, these brass tags are permanently riveted to the equipment as soon as it comes in the door and it stays on that piece, forever. If a piece of equipment goes out for repair or rebuild (like a 100HP electric motor for a press), it is identified by the brass tag number. The Frame Plant, Stamping Plant and Engine Plant (all in the Rouge) all have heavy presses and they use the same motor rebuilders. So, this is a way for the vendor to keep track of where equipment came from, as well.

Cars (product) are not capital expenses. Apparently, someone from the Wixom Assembly Plant thought it might be cute to add a brass tag to this car. I'm sure the car didn't have one on it coming out the plant. Probably, an employee owned the car and put the tag on later. It's funny to see a brass tag outside the plant.

BTW, I have an o-l-d drill press in my garage with a brass tag that says, 'A.M.C.' Yep, it was in an American Motors plant in Detroit (when we had American Motors). - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca