This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Jim how is building that trophy case coming along
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 03-04-2016, 02:55 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default elijahbird7's Tbirds!

Here is an email that I got from Jim Elijah yesterday. This is what he had to say.

"Ray, More old car fun. I had some projects I wanted done on the 56 this fall, camshaft replacement, harmonic balancer replacement, front spring replacement, and change out the Generator for a Power Gen, that looks like a generator, but has an alternator inside.
So, my mechanic was busy this fall, but called the first week of February to see if I could get the car to him. After looking everything over, he concluded that the rear main was leaking, as well as the transmission, so he would pull the engine. He kept pulling the engine further apart, and found some valve and other issues. He ended up with the Pistons and Crank out, and sent the block to one of his friends, and is having a complete rebuild done with all bearings, rings, etc. The transmission is back in place after a complete rebuild, and I painted and detailed that before it went back in. Hopefully the engine will be back in a few days, and it can go back together, and I will paint and detail it before it goes back in as well. He likes me to use his blaster to remove all the paint, while he does other things....still have no idea of what this is going to cost, but oh well. We have been experiencing the old syndrome, "As long as it's apart, we might as well....."

Jim"

Here are a couple of pix he sent me, and also one of his gorgeous '56 Babybird before the work on it was started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JimElijah'56Tbird1.jpg (499.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg JimElijah'56Tbird2.jpg (461.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg JimElijah'56Tbird-3.jpg (135.8 KB, 113 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-04-2016, 08:14 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

I too am a victim of "mission creep" and the job list gets longer and longer every time I start working.

Great pictures and a good example of using a dual master with the original style Midland remote fender mounted brake booster to the front brakes (possibly a disk conversion?). Few options for power brakes in a Little Bird without major modifications. Sweet Little Bird!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Apprentice

elijahbird7 is on a distinguished road

Yes, we converted to Front Disc Brakes about 7 or 8 years ago. Best decision I ever made as to stopping in a straight line. Stopped by today, and the oil pan, intake manifold and front timing chain cover have been returned and were stripped of paint, so I can start painting those next week. My mechanic had another small list of new parts he wanted me to order, so another hundred bucks! He is hoping the engine rebuild gets finished and the block returned by the middle of next week. There were issues with the rear main seal, and some previous owner work back there that needed some tweaking. He always has a line up of classic cars waiting for his experienced touch.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Apprentice

Another point. The engine was removed without taking the hood off, since he didn't want to crack the paint off of the bolts holding it in place, and these hoods take a lot of work to get aligned properly, and this one fits really well. I made it a point to not be there when the engine came out, and will not be there when it goes back in.... Too much stress to watch that operation.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Apprentice

Tomorrow, it will be 6 weeks since the 56 went in for work. As of now, the engine has still not been returned by the machinist rebuilding it. My mechanic is more than frustrated with this situation, since my car has tied up one of his lifts this whole time, while he has other classic cars waiting in line to get in...oh well, at least mine has had 6 weeks of heated storage!
Old 03-20-2016, 12:04 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Elija, if it's any consolation, Y-Blocks need a lot of changes that I hope your machinist is taking his time doing. They are notorious for rear seal leaks.

In short, Y-Blocks were Ford's first attempt at producing an overhead valve engine. They are miles ahead of the old flat heads but sadly deficient in some areas, like oiling.

To exacerbate the situation, since your engine was produced, many changes have happened like modern fuel and oil formulas. They are nowhere near what your engine was designed to use. The machine shop can help this.

We have far better materials and methods today. You can buy a 'true roller' timing chain that was never heard of back then. The rocker shafts need slots on the bottom oil holes (like FEs have) because rocker arms aren't exactly centered. We also pull out the copper tube at the end and plug the hole to raise oil pressure and to ensure each rocker arm gets oil. The cam groove in the center bearing needs to be deepened by a lot so that cam bearing wear will not restrict oil to both rocker shafts.

If you drive this car a lot I would recommend John Mummert's aluminum heads because Ford designed two exhaust ports together in the middle of the Y-Block head which creates excessive heat. They have all the right materials already installed and done. Simply bolt on.

There are more improvements to consider but these are a start. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-08-2016, 11:35 PM
Apprentice

As of today, the engine has been back in the car since last week.
We put a lot of stuff on today, including the heater box, blower motor, carb, distributor and radiator. Had some paint issues on the radiator tank, so I ended up using paint stripper to take it down to bare copper, and started over, and finally got it looking good. The plan was to get it running by this afternoon, but the radiator paint issue put us a day behind, so maybe tomorrow it will be running.
My mechanic and the engine rebuilder are both in their mid-70's, so have a lot of experience with these engines. The engine guy specializes in racing engines, and my mechanic has two race cars using his engines...so hopefully all will be well. If all goes well, it should be ready to come home Monday or Tuesday.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:41 AM

Ray,
Thought I should give you an update on the progress. The engine came back the Wednesday afternoon before Easter... photos show progress.. My job was to do most of the painting and detailing. It should get started for the first time either today or Monday! Jim

Here are the pix he sent me! A beautiful looking engine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elijahbird7Engine-1.jpg (119.1 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Elijahbird7Engine-2.jpg (565.1 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Elijahbird7Engine-3.jpg (87.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Elijahbird7Engine-4.jpg (564.3 KB, 142 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 04-21-2016, 02:59 PM

Jim sent me an email telling me that he has the '56 back home with the new engine in it. Here is a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JamesElijah'56Tbird.jpg (93.7 KB, 136 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"