This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Tommy,

The differential is not really my area of expertise. That's one of the jobs I usually leave to a pro. Hopefully someone else here can answer your questions. Have you searched some of the past threads. I'm sure gear changes have been discussed before.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-19-2013, 01:02 AM
tommy cruise

tommy cruise is on a distinguished road
Default 59 t-bird differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Tommy,

The differential is not really my area of expertise. That's one of the jobs I usually leave to a pro. Hopefully someone else here can answer your questions. Have you searched some of the past threads. I'm sure gear changes have been discussed before.

John
Thanks John I'll check and see what I can find. I know you sure knew what you were talking about as far as bearing and spline size and I sure appreciate it. You saved my butt. Tommy"
Old 11-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy cruise View Post
Hi John, thanks for your great info. John I'm not sure if I post if you get to see so I would like your opinion on my last post, about changing pinion pilot bearing and what gear ratio would be good for my 390. I have 3.10 now and don't know if I should go 3.50 or 3.70. I don't do a lot of highway but will be doing some, and will I feel difference from 3.10-3.50. Thanks Tommy"
Go punch some numbers into this calculator. It will give you an idea of what various gear changes will do.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html
Old 11-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Rear end gear changes offer the most torque for the money. It's easy to get carried away, though. Much of this depends on your type of driving, how economy-minded you are, and how much low-end torque you really need.

I have a 4.30:1 gear in my Mustang (8.8) axle. It pulls stumps, but the car is in 2nd before passing under the light. I'm able to use a low gear because the trans is an overdrive (AOD).

For a conventional 3-speed auto, I would be comfy at 3.70:1 for mostly city driving with occasional interstate highway trips. Many street machines had 3.90:1, but gas would kill you and the engine screams doing 70 mph. You will feel a VAST difference from 3.10 to 3.70.

Here's your axle components showing Ford's Group Numbers:

I divided this illustration into two sheets. Download each and paste them together:
CLICK HERE for the LH side
CLICK HERE for the RH side

May I suggest, if you are changing gears, at the same time replace any bad bearings, wash the insides thoroughly with kerosene or mineral spirits and reassemble with all new gaskets and seals. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 11-19-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 PM
tommy cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
Go punch some numbers into this calculator. It will give you an idea of what various gear changes will do.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html
Hi RustyNCa; Wow what a great site. I just found out I can change the pinion pilot bearing from the front, so I don't have to take out the 3rd member. Thanks so much for all the great info. Tommy"
Old 11-19-2013, 09:51 PM
tommy cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Rear end gear changes offer the most torque for the money. It's easy to get carried away, though. Much of this depends on your type of driving, how economy-minded you are, and how much low-end torque you really need.

I have a 4.30:1 gear in my Mustang (8.8) axle. It pulls stumps, but the car is in 2nd before passing under the light. I'm able to use a low gear because the trans is an overdrive (AOD).

For a conventional 3-speed auto, I would be comfy at 3.70:1 for mostly city driving with occasional interstate highway trips. Many street machines had 3.90:1, but gas would kill you and the engine screams doing 70 mph. You will feel a VAST difference from 3.10 to 3.70.

Here's your axle components showing Ford's Group Numbers:

I divided this illustration into two sheets. Download each and paste them together:
CLICK HERE for the LH side
CLICK HERE for the RH side

May I suggest, if you are changing gears, at the same time replace any bad bearings, wash the insides thoroughly with kerosene or mineral spirits and reassemble with all new gaskets and seals. - Dave
Thanks Dave; great illustration now that I know I don't have to pull 3rd member to change pinion pilot it's going to stay a 3.10 rear. Still plenty of power and great on highway. My buddy has a 3.50 and it is tempting but right now these old bones says NO.LOL" Tommy"
Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

Richmond has a nice gear calculator as well. I used their "street performance" calculator when I picked my gear ratio.

http://richmondgear.com/index.php/ge...on-calculators

I ended up picking a 3.50 ratio to pair up with my 28" diameter rear tires.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:58 PM
tommy cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
Richmond has a nice gear calculator as well. I used their "street performance" calculator when I picked my gear ratio.

http://richmondgear.com/index.php/ge...on-calculators

I ended up picking a 3.50 ratio to pair up with my 28" diameter rear tires.
Thanks Dakota, Is that your 58 with 460? If so that is a beautiful ride. I bet she can haul. I'm going to stay with the 3.10 if I wasn't able to change pilot bearing and had to pull 3rd member then I would go with 3.50.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

Yes, it has a 460; but it is fairly tame right now. Upgrades are in order, but my money tree has to grow for awhile first.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 PM
tommy cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
Yes, it has a 460; but it is fairly tame right now. Upgrades are in order, but my money tree has to grow for awhile first.
Lol" I know about the $$$ tree mine stopped producing. Oh I'm just going slow a little at a time. I just want to get it to where I feel comfortable driving it and not having to worry about breaking down. Problem is winter is in and it's a tuff go. I just want to have it running good for this summer. I really like your 58 tame or not it's a beauty. Take care Tommy"