This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:26 PM
tommy cruise

tommy cruise is on a distinguished road
Default 1959 differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
According to the Master Parts Catalog it's 28 splines. Looks like they didn't go to 31 splines until 1963-64.

John
Yea John, that's what I've been waiting to hear. One more thing not as important to me as spline count but are the carrier bearings small or lg. I would think small with 28 spline. Thanks John. Tommy"
Old 10-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The book shows 3 1/16 I.D. large bearing carrier.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM
tommy cruise

Quote:
The book shows 3 1/16 I.D. large bearing carrier.

John
WOW" I thought for sure small bearing. John by any chance do they show a part#. I think I will order the 28 spline trac-lok and order the lg bearings and if by chance it's the small if mine look ok I'll try and gently remove and use them. So lg outer bearings, lg carrier bearings and 28 spline. Is that all 58-60 or is 60 all by itself. John thanks for taking the time to dig up some of the mystery info on early 9" differentials. Tommy"
Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 PM

Original part #B7A-4221-B. Of course the replacement parts will have their own part number. It shows the same for 58-60.

John

Old 10-26-2013, 10:03 PM
tommy cruise

Quote:
Original part #B7A-4221-B. Of course the replacement parts will have their own part number. It shows the same for 58-60.

John
John your awesome" I really appreciate the extra work you put in to gather all the information you did. Thank You Tommy"
Old 10-26-2013, 10:16 PM

Tommy,

You're Welcome. Any time.

John

Old 10-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Since we are all talking about the 9" rear end, does anyone know the measurement of the rear end brake drum face to face? And the width of the spring perches?

I'm thinking of pulling the 9 out from under the 59 in my yard to replace the rear end in the Dodge Truck. It's some strange old rear end with spindle mounted style hubs on the axle?

Thanks
RustyNCA
Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Experienced

ncbird is on a distinguished road

According to ultrastang site 52 3/4 flange to flange and 36" for distance between spring perchs. Most 9" appear to be wider and the perchs 43" apart. Again the ultrastang sits has somd really good 9" info
Old 11-18-2013, 07:39 PM
tommy cruise

Default 59 t-bird differential

Hi All, John you were right on the money with 28 spline and 3-/16 carrier bearings. Good news is I have a great working trac-lok. Bad news is when we took it apart the pinion pilot bearing was wobbling but it was 20 degrees outside and just as cold inside working in a 12x 18 dirt floor garage we just put it together. Now when I give it gas it is making noise let off it stops. I have been told you can't change pilot bearing without removing pumpkin. Do you know if that is true if I have to remove I am going to put in 3.50 gears will that make a difference from 3.10 or should I put 3.70 gears. Thanks in advance Tommy" I hope this doesn't come up twice I had it all typed in and then it said I didn't log in, but I did so if it comes up twice I apologize.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 PM
tommy cruise

Default 59 t-bird differential

Quote:
Tommy,

You're Welcome. Any time.

John
Hi John, thanks for your great info. John I'm not sure if I post if you get to see so I would like your opinion on my last post, about changing pinion pilot bearing and what gear ratio would be good for my 390. I have 3.10 now and don't know if I should go 3.50 or 3.70. I don't do a lot of highway but will be doing some, and will I feel difference from 3.10-3.50. Thanks Tommy"