This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:35 AM

Justinryanh is on a distinguished road
Default Clicking on start and acceleration

Long time lurker, first time joiner/poster. I recently purchased a 66 hardtop that I am looking to restore. So far I have it running and driving pretty well. I have a loud metallic clicking on start and acceleration that I am trying to identify. It does not seem to impede starting or acceleration, just more of a major annoyance! Any ideas on what would most commonly cause that?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:54 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Justin, do you have stones in your tires?

A clicking sound could be anything, including keys tapping against the dash, so give us a lot more information.

Is it coming from wheels? From under the hood? Under the car?

If you roll the car and shut the engine off while rolling, does the sound sustain? C'mon, give us more. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Flogged-out universal???
Old 08-30-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Justin, do you have stones in your tires?

A clicking sound could be anything, including keys tapping against the dash, so give us a lot more information.

Is it coming from wheels? From under the hood? Under the car?

If you roll the car and shut the engine off while rolling, does the sound sustain? C'mon, give us more. - Dave
Fair enough Dave! It appears to be localized in the front center of the car and is louder from the bottom. It sounds like metal on metal, I was thinking possibly a loose/wobbly starter motor. Maybe a warped flywheel? When I disengage the flywheel I get a nice clean whirring sound when it try's to turn. There are two metal pipes that cross just under the transmission (I am not sure what those are), that appear to cause a slight clinking, but do not appear to be the primary cause as the sound is louder than just the clinking of those and sounds more mechanical in nature. The sound only happens a few seconds after start and during initial acceleration. Not sure if you have any ideas? Maybe I should post a video link? Does this forum allow that?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

My initial guess would be something related to the starter or flywheel as you mentioned. Possibly the starter gear is not disengaging all the way. Luckily those starters are much easier to come by and replace than the earlier ones. I would start there first.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Apprentice

cdhowell is on a distinguished road

Check motor mounts.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Any ideas on how to check the flexplate/starter disengagement? what about motor mounts? Sorry, I am new to this, so much to learn!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinryanh View Post
...I was thinking possibly a loose/wobbly starter motor. Maybe a warped flywheel? When I disengage the flywheel I get a nice clean whirring sound when it try's to turn...
Did you get under the car and look around? I do that every time I change my oil and filter. Put your hands on different components and give them a shake.

I don't mean to be 'technical' but when you say you have a flywheel, that means your car is a stick. A warped flywheel usually chatters when you let the clutch pedal out.

Flywheels and flex plates both have a starter gear around the perimeter. You might be able to see the starter engage/disengage by removing the inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinryanh View Post
...There are two metal pipes that cross just under the transmission (I am not sure what those are), that appear to cause a slight clinking, but do not appear to be the primary cause as the sound is louder than just the clinking of those and sounds more mechanical in nature. The sound only happens a few seconds after start and during initial acceleration...
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. At first I suspected a faulty throwout bearing. Then I questioned whether you even have a stick shift.

Now, I believe you have an exhaust leak. It could be leaking around an exhaust manifold, heat riser valve or at an exhaust coupling.

All components under and in your car are secured. If you have pipes 'floating around', strap them down. You need 'hands-on' troubleshooting from under the car while the engine is running. I would put the car in the air, on jack stands, with the rear wheels off the ground to eliminate any possibility of mistakes. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-30-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Did you get under the car and look around? I do that every time I change my oil and filter. Put your hands on different components and give them a shake.

I don't mean to be 'technical' but when you say you have a flywheel, that means your car is a stick. A warped flywheel usually chatters when you let the clutch pedal out.

Flywheels and flex plates both have a starter gear around the perimeter. You might be able to see the starter engage/disengage by removing the inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. At first I suspected a faulty throwout bearing. Then I questioned whether you even have a stick shift.

Now, I believe you have an exhaust leak. It could be leaking around an exhaust manifold, heat riser valve or at an exhaust coupling.

All components under and in your car are secured. If you have pipes 'floating around', strap them down. You need 'hands-on' troubleshooting from under the car while the engine is running. I would put the car in the air, on jack stands, with the rear wheels off the ground to eliminate any possibility of mistakes. - Dave
Awesome. Making progress! Today's lesson for me on google was flywheel vs flex plate. I definetly have a flex plate/automatic. I will give the car a "shakedown" tonight to ensure I am not missing something dumb. One piece I forgot to mention that works nicely with your feedback is that I DO have an exhaust leak, found it last night. I forgot to mention that in the last post. It is right at the exhaust manifold and it is rather large. It appears that the PO tried to correct it with a series of washers. This is on the passenger side of the car. From what I gathered last night there should be some kind of "sensor" there that assists the car starting in cold weather. Since I am in az, I believe that there is an aftermarket spacer that I should be able to incorporate, any of this sounding right?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

What you are describing is called a heat riser valve. They are notorious for leaking when they get worn. They can also get worn to the point of making a noise when you accelerate similar to what you are describing. And yes there is a plain spacer available. Any of the Thunderbird vendors should carry them.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm