This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Brass Window Rollers?

Hi Anders, you CAN "like" this thread by rating it! Go to the "Rate Thread" tab and give it the number of stars you think it deserves!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Tinkerer

c4clewis is on a distinguished road

I've had the glass out 2 times now. 17 years ago when I first painted the car, and last year when it was repainted. Both times I've nicked the paint getting the vent window back in. When I did it last year more than a few expletives escaped my mouth as I remembered the lesson from the first time.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I always put some masking tape along the top edge. That usually does the trick.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Experienced

djberson is on a distinguished road

Can anyone clarify if these rollers are for both electric AND manual windows?
Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Yep, one size fits all Ford, Lincoln, Mercury car windows and tailgate windows, front and rear windows, truck windows and probably more than I listed. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I've had 2 brass rollers made and need to get more. When I look at how the regulator works with the rollers, it appears that the rollers are really slides in the channels and the pin that the roller is connected to is the only bearing surface that rotates. Am I correct?

Nyles
Old 09-18-2013, 12:49 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

The steel pin is staked onto the arms. The roller rotates on the pin. The spring clip keeps the roller from drifting in or out. Look at the pictures in post #2.

The original rollers are stampings and hollow in the middle of the bearing surface (I want to call it a bore, but it's not). So, the stationary pin only rides on the very front and rear of the roller. As you crank (or the electric motor turns), the coil spring snugly traps the upper and bottom rails in a 'V'. This creates 'interference by design' and the roller might turn in either direction as the window goes up, for example.

The design is simple but it works well. Brass rollers have a real bore, giving full surface contact with the pin. Hope this helps. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Experienced

V-John is on a distinguished road

Has the Brass Roller Man ever make it back home yet? I tried some of the new nylon ones and they suck (one broke). I'm about ready to order the steel rollers from CASCO, but was wondering if the brass ones are available again.
1959 T-Bird -Thunderbird Registry #46052
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukejohnson99/
Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

John;
I've been asking the same question. I had a source for the rollers, but it dried up before I got the set made. I am working with another machine shop here in L.A. to make me a set. Haven't suceeded yet. If anyone has a source please let us know and if I find a shop to make some, I'll post the source. I'm getting closer to installing the glass back in the car.
Nyles
Old 03-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Experienced

V-John is on a distinguished road

After spending 5 hours getting the rear 1/4 window and hardware in, and adjusting, adjusting, and adjusting, these cheap nylon rollers would warp and pop out of the channels. I haven't taken the other window out yet. I look at it and drop my head with a big sigh.
1959 T-Bird -Thunderbird Registry #46052
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukejohnson99/