This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Joe:
That is what I am beginning to think also. Clean and regrease.
I have only checked 2 of my rollers so far, but both of them look really good when I check the sizes against the print for the brass rollers. As long as the size looks good and there are no flat spots, I am tempted to reuse the existing rollers. One advantage that I do see with the brass roller design is that the roller bearing surface on the pin is the full length of the roller. I'll see how things go. I may fab some of the brass rollers for the rear quarter windows, since those seem to be more tricky to get them adjusted and repeat movement.
Nyles
Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Its been a while since I worked on my window tracks, and bear in mind this was on my 57. Even though the rollers themselves are the same my "innards" are similar but probably different from yours. The assembly went much easier when I put the assembled roller unit in the slide of the track and then just pushed in the pin on the arm of the window lift and the spring snapped in place. I'm thinking one of these rollers had to be installed this way.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnston View Post
...The assembly went much easier when I put the assembled roller unit in the slide of the track and then just pushed in the pin on the arm of the window lift and the spring snapped in place...
On the production line, door glass came in containers. The glass was assembled with the bottom track with two rollers already installed. Remember, this must go fast. The assembler installed and set one door per minute.

He grabbed glass out of the container, ran it over to the moving car, slid it down the door opening sideways, turned it and popped the scissors pins into all three rollers. Of course, the vent frame and lock-side track was already there but loose.

- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-28-2013, 06:59 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
On the production line, door glass came in containers. The glass was assembled with the bottom track with two rollers already installed. Remember, this must go fast. The assembler installed and set one door per minute.

He grabbed glass out of the container, ran it over to the moving car, slid it down the door opening sideways, turned it and popped the scissors pins into all three rollers. Of course, the vent frame and lock-side track was already there but loose.

- Dave
I would love to see that on film. I am seriously worried if I ever will be able to put everything back into the door. It was just very, very difficult to get it out....
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 08-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I would love to see that on film. I am seriously worried if I ever will be able to put everything back into the door. It was just very, very difficult to get it out....
You're not alone, Anders. Collision shops around Detroit would much rather buy a complete door from a bone yard, paint it and be done. Classic car restorers are on their own to solve this puzzle. That's one of the reasons why buying an assembly line car is a very good deal. Each worker is a highly trained professional assembler, working within his classification (if he is 'union' as all Ford workers are).

If you have never done this work, how would you know all the tricks or shortcuts? Pull the spring clip out and the pin will fall out of the roller. If you don't pull the pin, you will wrestle with the scissors. You may win if you get lucky.

Ford goes back and forth with this but when I worked there, cameras were not allowed under any circumstances. I don't know of training films for dealership mechanics either. We only get a Shop Manual. Too bad they don't divulge all the short cuts. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

perhaps they didnt want the competition to learn those tricks either
Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Slow Typist

Ford, like all the car companies, purchased this part by the millions. That means everybody knew how to assemble/disassemble 'em. Now here we come fifty years later, learning amazing revelations the old mechanics forgot about decades ago.

I looked up this part in the MPC and realized since '54, Ford used the same roller for front, rear and tailgate glass in all Ford cars, Edsel, Mercury, Lincoln, vans, trucks, etc. Note that Ford always sold more trucks than cars.

The competition did the exact same thing because, well, why not? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-30-2013, 01:28 AM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road
Default Installing Door Glass

Quote:

- Dave
There is no way in "H" "E" double LL that I will ever get the door glass back in to the door in a minute. I'll be lucky to get it back in period. I do think the trick of putting the rollers in the tracks and then pushing the pins into the rollers may help, but I'll find that out when I go back together. The door glass is the easy one when compared to the rear quarter window. I'm just taking it one step at a time. I need to get everything apart to get the chrome parts into the chrome shop, but I hate to tear everything apart, so I have nothing to compare it to. The digital camera is going to have to be my savior.
Nyles
Old 08-30-2013, 02:33 AM
Slow Typist

Not only do they set one per minute, production workers make it look easy.

It's like watching a rhapsody... no motion is wasted and the assemblers pace themselves so they don't go too fast or too slow.

If you only set glass all day, after the learning curve was over, you could do 500 per day. Production work is incredibly demanding with safety and quality at the top of the order. Not many can sustain the mental anguish from repetition. Even 'runners' mentally put themselves somewhere else as the mechanics of running becomes automatic. After doing thousands of doors, no thinking is involved.

Oh, BTW, these guys are only charging less that a dollar per door. See if you can get a professional to set your door glass for fifty times that much. ...and I hear folks say auto workers make too much money... right... - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-30-2013, 02:53 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not only do they set one per minute, production workers make it look easy.

It's like watching a rhapsody... no motion is wasted and the assemblers pace themselves so they don't go too fast or too slow.

If you only set glass all day, after the learning curve was over, you could do 500 per day. Production work is incredibly demanding with safety and quality at the top of the order. Not many can sustain the mental anguish from repetition. Even 'runners' mentally put themselves somewhere else as the mechanics of running becomes automatic. After doing thousands of doors, no thinking is involved.

Oh, BTW, these guys are only charging less that a dollar per door. See if you can get a professional to set your door glass for fifty times that much. ...and I hear folks say auto workers make too much money... right... - Dave
If this was Facebook, I would press the "Like" button here
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158