This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road
Default Temp and oil pressure guages

I'm going to be getting my motor rebuilt soon and will need to have a working temp and oil pressure gauge when I'm done.
Up until this point I really didn't care because I knew I would be getting the 390 rebuilt. I don't care if the gauges are factory, maybe even just a set of gauges I can bolt to the dash - this is the rusty Rat rod type build I'm doing in case you're not familiar with my car.
It has a 390 that will be getting a 428 crank, edelbrock RPM Performer intake and carb, headers, etc. Does anyone know of the easiest, fairly cheap way to add a temp sensor and oil pressure gauge to this setup?

thx in advance, Dave J
Old 08-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Any auto parts store worth its salt will have a set of triple gauges on the rack somewhere, usually oil pressure, coolant temperature and voltmeter, and the kit should come with the pressure and temperature senders.

I just don't "get" the rat rod thing. There's a few around here that I admit are rather cool, but they are monster looking , nondescript with truck-like bodies, huge rear tires with wide white walls and many sizes smaller front wheels.

I drove a rat in college but it was not intended to be. It just turned out that way because it was an old car and I lived in the NE where they salted the roads then spayed it all under and over your car just for good measure. That and my fellow drivers kept crashing into me, even when I wasn't in it. Then later on when I had a new car I stored it over the winter and bought an old pick-up for a "winter rat".

Who knew I was ahead of my time with these dilapidated looking vehicles that ran great?

I have a friend who's building one for another guy from a early 60's C-10 pickup. He dragged it off a the corner of a field, where it had sat for at least the last ten years. Someone needed a piece of thick steel at one point so 1/3 of the front bumper is missing. His instructions are to strip the paint off, then leave it outside for a month or two to get a good coat of dripping rust on it, then clear coat over the rust.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Funny thing is, I drove an early 60's C-10 for my high school job, moving furniture. There wasn't a body panel that wasn't dented, but it had a nice new coat of paint: white latex house paint, brushed on. It had a stove bolt 6 that ran great, and usually stopped well. It had no gas pedal, I had to reach up and push in the throttle lever with my toes.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Super-Experienced

Funny but I was thinking the same thing when I bought this car for my project Steve - I wish I still had my old rusty 63 plymouth Sport Fury rag top with the push button automatic! I haven't done anything with cars since I was a kid. I also had a 1960 VW with a metal spring drivers seat. No cloth, no padding, and no other seats. The starter was shot so while I was in Tech school I had to park facing downhill everywhere I went in order to push start it. I'm sure we all have our stories.

When I saw this Bird that had sat in a field in southern NM for more than 15 years I thought it had the perfect antique "patina" for a sort of Rat rod build. Mines not a "rod" so it's not really a Ratrod. I want to make it mechanically sound with the disc brakes etc. and i want it to be able to spin the tires and shred asphalt. It's what I liked in a car as a kid and besides I used to do body work and don't care to do it again. Here's a link to pictures of the project. It's all just for fun - to each his own as they say.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1014928...eat=directlink

Thx, Dave J
Old 10-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Super-Experienced

So here's another question related to this thread. (Didn't think I need to start a new thread)
On top of the oil filter fixture is what I assume is the wire and sending unit for my oil pressure on this 1959 T-bird with a 1967 390 motor. Being that it is a wire and not a tube it must be an electrical unit??? The wire must go to the dash oil light and come on if the pressure is below a certain threshold???

Can I run this wire to an after market electric oil pressure gauge instead of the idiot light? Will that work?

Sorry for the dumb question but I've never done any gauge work.

Also, while I'm at it. For the engine temp gauge, (I'm using an Edelbrock RPM performer intake manifold). Do I buy a new sending unit to screw into the Edelbrock, and will it work with the existing gauge in my dash?

Guess I should look up in my manual what the "L" and "H" ranges are temperature wise when I get home.

thx, Dave J
Old 10-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmij View Post
...Can I run this wire to an after market electric oil pressure gauge instead of the idiot light? Will that work?

...For the engine temp gauge, (I'm using an Edelbrock RPM performer intake manifold). Do I buy a new sending unit to screw into the Edelbrock, and will it work with the existing gauge in my dash?..
Sending units come in two flavors. Actually, one (oil pressure) is a on/off switch and the other is a resistor. The fuel and temp sending units are resistors. If you want to ditch the OIL light, you need a sending unit that is a resistor to run the gauge.

So now, which resistor sending unit? It depends on the gauge you buy.

Regardless of your intake manifold type or style, there should be a pipe thread somewhere around the thermostat housing for the temp gauge. Since water is a good conductor of heat, the length of the sending unit really doesn't matter (so you can put it in a tee if you like). They simply make them long so all the internals fit.

Our Y-block has a factory temp sending unit on the back of cylinder #4. It gives false readings that drives Robin nuts.

Now I have a silly question for you... Since I'm a human and my eyes are drawn to lights (especially red ones), why wouldn't you want the OIL light? If it were me, I would buy a mechanical gauge and screw it into the engine. (There are oil plugs all over the block.) That will tell the real story. The working light will alert you when it's time to look at the gauge. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Super-Experienced

Excellent point, I could see myself (or anybody for that matter) not bothering to look at the gauge for many miles, but the red light would catch my eye right away. I'll definitely keep the light. I may still add the gauge.
I found a gauge package on e-bay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOLPHIN-3-3-...-/230856423431
I don't care if I keep the original gauges and my speedometer is shot so I was thinking about buying this. I'm having a hard time finding out how the speedometer works though. Is it a stand cable on most cars? I imagine the modern cars are electronic and not mechanical. Anyone have any knowlegde on these gauge sets?

thx, Dave
Old 10-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Yes, the Squarebirds have a simple "gear driven" speed-o cable. It runs to the gear set in the transmission tailshaft.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Super-Experienced

Thx Jon, actually I already replaced the cable and the gear in the transmission. (the trans is a 4 sp toploader. What I can't figure out is if the one I want to buy has the same hook up. It's mechanical, but are they all the same?

Hopefully the seller will reply eventually.

Dave J
Old 10-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Dave,

A few years back I bought a couple of gauge sets for the clocks. Most of the gauges were not worth restoring but might still have a factory style speedo that will work?
If it works and it's something you think you can use I'll send it for postage cost.

You could always buy a cheap used TomTom or Garmin - most show your road speed although in tiny little numbers.

I think the car is coming along great - can't wait for you to post a picture with lots of smoke -

Eric

Here's what I did with the clocks....made some desk clocks......yeesh........this pic is 2008!
Time flies (can't believe I said that )