This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Experienced

Larry Jones is on a distinguished road
Default engine racing plus bogs down

Went out for a ride early this afternoon and the engine was idling smoothly. Took it out tonight drove about 4 miles as coming home the engine started to race plus when I wanted to use the passing gear it started to hesitate on me. Like the carb wasn't getting enough gas.This has never happened bebore.I will check the spark plug wires tomorrow. What else would I need to check. AS I said first time for this problem. It will drive smoothly under 40 miles hour. But it started to race on me coming home up to then everything was fine. Thanks Larry
Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Check the secondary diaphragm in the carburetor. The rear throttle plates might be sticking open.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Experienced

Default checking the carb

By removing the air cleaner would I be able to physically observe those plates sticking. The diaphragm is that part deeper into the carberator which Iwouldnt be able to observe. PLus would some carb cleaner down into the throat solve my problem. Thank you again for addressing this problem. John. Would I be able to shoot some cleaner through the front carburetor idling screws without damaging anything.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Experienced

Default got my manual out

hi John.

it looks to me there our 4 screws holdind the cover plate along with a return spring and then the secondary operating diaphragm. If I shot some gumout through the opening would that solve anything or maybe I would have to adjust the fast idle adjustment screw too. I don't want to get over my head with this. Larry
Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 AM

If the diaphragm is torn shooting gumout isn't going to help it. Open the throttle all the way and then move the secondary lever back and forth and look down the carburetor and see if the rear throttle plates close all the way.

John

Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Experienced

Default throttle plate

going away today But did start the engine earlier this morning idled smoothly. Will get to it later today. Larry Thanks John
Old 08-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Experienced

Default moving secondary lever

I did what you said. Moving the secondary lever did closed all the way. But the plates looked alittle gooped up. Would you advise alittle gumout on the top plates I would have to get my small finger to get under the bottom plates. What would you advise mre to do. Larry
Old 08-18-2013, 07:35 PM

Some Gumout on the plates won't hurt. Spray it on top of the plates and open them up and spray it on the bores. Use as much as you want then let it dry. You need to make sure the rear throttle plates close completely or the engine will race.

John

Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Experienced

Default explain the bores

I didn't quit understand the bores. Can you give me a physical description of the bores. New territory for me John.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 PM

The bores are the round parts of the carburetor that the throttle plates close against. The shop manual calls them barrels. I've always called them bores.

John