This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Disc Conversion Kit

Let me see if I can answer some questions for you. The mounting of a dual MC/2 Stage 8" Power Booster on an AC equipped Squarebird is going to require you to either put together your own "kit" as I and Howard Prout did, or buy a "kit" from one of the companies who market them, like MBM. Having AC in the engine bay with that big evaporator cover next to the OEM MC is going to require you to buy a kit that provides a mounting bracket that will place the booster clear of that big box. Some manufacturers do not have that bracket, and some do, so I am told.

However, there is another way to get around that. Marcelo ~ NYsquarebird58 used the mounting bracket that came with his kit and made it work. He did so by adding L or Channel brackets between the firewall and the mounting bracket, or perhaps it was between the mounting bracket and the booster. I have forgotten. In any case if you look here on this Forum, you will find his thread about his conversion process. This was a simple way of getting clear of the evaporator box.

Now regarding KH spoke rims IF they are 14" OEM rims, they will not work because they are not configured for disc brake set up. We had to use 14" Granada (or other Ford) rims that were off of disc brake equipped Ford cars of the 70's-'80's era. The complete list is available to our Paid Members as part of their special features they receive for supporting this Forum. As is all the information on buying parts, how to do it, etc.. You can get around the problem of finding 14" disc brake ready rims by going to 15" rims and tires and you will have no problems I am told.

As to just adding a dual MC to a OEM under the hood power booster, I will let someone else answer that question. It is my understanding that the OEM power booster will not work right if used in conjunction with a disc brake conversion. I do know that both Howard and I left our under the dash KH booster intact and hooked up and it has caused us no problems. But we used a dual MC and 2 Stage 8" Power Booster in our set up.

You asked if the "members only" section has any information on using a kit similar to "this". If you are talking about kits that are bought from several manufacturers to allow you to do the dual MC/2 Stage 8" Power Booster/disc brake conversion the answer is this. There are Members on this Forum who have gone the manufacturers kit route and Members who have put together their own parts, like myself and Howard, and saved some money. Both in the regular Forum, and the Members Only Forum. You can do what Howard and I did. Gather up all the parts ourselves, from the various auto parts stores around us, using the Excel sheet to see who sells what at lesser prices, and then do the conversion ourselves. We saved some money by doing it this way.

I think that is about all I can think of now. I hope this helps.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Apprentice

Sherman is on a distinguished road

WOW! Thank you for the great information.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Here is the link on Marcelo's ~ NYsquarebird58 disc brake conversion work. His Squarebird does not have AC at the moment. I do not know if he is thinking about adding it later. But he used spacers between his 2 Stage 8" power booster and the mounting bracket to offset his installation further. The same thing could be done with a standard mounting bracket for a non-AC car, to get the whole setup clear of the evaporator box. Marcelo has some great pictures and write ups on how he did his, gathering his own parts, as I recall. Here is the link to it and you can see his under the hood setup in Page 2.

http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12914

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 07-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Apprentice

Thanks again! ABS Power brakes claims Model #9787 will bolt in around the evaporator and over the valve covers.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincat...ameset014.html
Old 07-12-2013, 04:50 PM

I am about to go out the door, but check further into that. The rotors we used were Raybestos and they were 11.5" rotors. They just barely fit inside that 14" disc brake ready rim. This kit has 13" rotors, as I recall, which might work well with 15" rims. You want to make sure that if you are gonna go with 14" disc brake ready rims, any rotor you choose must fit inside that rim.... Gotta go and I hope others pick up on this and advise you.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Apprentice

thanks for your help today. I wanted to show you the booster on page 95 on that link...my bad. Have a good day.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Most likely you could use your standard KH under dash booster on a conversion but there would be lots of challenges. First off the original master cyl has 4 bolts and all the disc/drum or disc/disc master cyl's I could find would have only 2 bolts so you would have to drill mounting holes in the firewall. That would be the easy part. Then there would be finding the right master cyl pushrod length to work correctly with the booster. After getting that all set up those K/H boosters don't produce as much "boost" as the newer dual action style so it may work marginally.

I installed disc brakes on my car about 10 years ago when installing the Granada spindles were the only thing available. I have the Bendix under hood booster though. It works but having the car aligned takes a really good shop. I've got mine set nicely now and hope to post the specs in the near future for those unfortunate enough to go that route.

About 2 years ago I decided to add A/C to my non A/C car and had to extend my under hood (Bendix) booster out to clear the evaporator box. There was actually a factory kit for this but in 10+ years of looking I have only seen one. I made my own.

I also had Booster Dewey (Power Brake Booster Exchange) rebuild and modify my original Bendix booster to accept a modern disc/drum master cyl. Works fine but I have not compared the difference to the dual action which I'm sure would produce more boost and less pedal effort.

I'd stick with the advice of those who have done it rather than those looking at a catalog and telling you it "should" fit. Wasted a lot of time and money on mine that way.

Don't forget - right now the system is a single line drum system so if going disc/drum you need to split the system front to back (add lines etc), add a proportioning valve and make some provision for a brake light switch (original style is a fluid switch on the end of the master cyl). I added mine into the rear brake system since it was still drum. Another fellow here used a switch mounted on the pedal housing inside the car. (swapping or adding the spindles is the easy part)

Good luck,
Eric

Modified Bendix booster

Factory kit to move the Bendix booster up and out to clear the Evaporator plenum.

Granada setup on my 1960 w/352

Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Sherman, that link you posted to ABS shows a front/rear disc brake set up and it says at the bottom, if I read that right, it is for 17" rims... If you are going to do just the front brakes, you do not need to be paying for parts you will not use. As for the dual MC/2 Stage 8" booster shown on Page 95, that looks like ours, except ours are both chromed. You can get the MBM or ABS type versions for a lot cheaper on the Internet. Check out some of the recent posts about this, as to who supplies them. One set up, dual MC/2 Stage 8" power booster was selling for $75, as I recall!

You can buy a kit, once you are certain that their mounting bracket will work with your evaporator box, and get all or most of the parts you need, but you must be certain that the rotors will fit in 14" disc brake ready rims, (IF you can find them easily). You also need to be sure that their mounting bracket is going to get you past the evaporator box. You are also going to need a combination valve for front and rear braking. GM or Ford. I like the GM one that Marcelo, myself and Howard used, but Ford works well also. Eric gave you a lot of good advice and he is a very experienced techie when it comes to our Tbirds. He went, as he said, the Granada route years ago, because at that time, that was all there was. That way requires the spindles to be shaved, and can cause front end alignment problems. Going the way Marcelo, myself and Howard went, we used our spindles on our Tbirds just as they are and had no alignment problems...

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Apprentice

Okay... I spent the evening reading the 31 page discussion on this issue and I am overwhelmed.

So, IF the MC/Brake Booster from MBM or ABS will fit an A/C car (which you think it does) than the only dilemma that remains would be finding a company that will sell JUST the caliper brackets that will work with 14 inch spoke wheels.

If I buy those brake parts individually, only then can I save myself some money by purchasing the remainder of the generic items locally. Otherwise, it seems that I am forced to by the kit that will include everything.

I also understand that some of the companies are using the same caliper brackets but are substituting lower profile calipers for buyers with 14 inch wheels. Or they are adding a spacer to move the wheel out.

I've also learned of an interference problem with the sway bar.

Is anything on this car simple??
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 PM

The MBM Part #'s that Howard, Marcelo, and myself used for our dual MC and 2 Stage 8" Power Booster work. We got ours from Old Irish Dave when he was still in business. Now you can get them from Pirate Jack, or you can buy them even cheaper from other vendors. The ABS versions are probably the same ones as the MBM ones..

We got our caliper-spindle mounting brackets from Scarbird. He knows exactly what you need if you tell him the year of your Tbird. His mounting brackets are the best. You do not want to go cheap on them... We used them on our 14" disc brake ready rims. I have no idea if your 14" spoked rims are disc brake ready or not...

You will need a spacer and you can get that locally at one of the auto parts houses. The information on all you will need is now available to our Paid Members only.

Even if you buy someones kit, it may not have everything you need or more than you need. You will certainly need to buy a combination valve, new connectors for it, new brake tubing, and other components to plumb the new system to the front brakes, and rear brakes. New brake hoses, etc..

As for the sway bar, I have heard that some people have had a problem with rubbing only on sharp turns. I have not had that problem, nor has Marcelo or Howard that I know of. I think Marcelo put the heavy duty sway bar on his on the front. It is a good thing to do, front and back, as it will certainly improve the ride. I have not done it yet, but want to.

We decided to not invest our money in someones kit that might not do what we wanted it to do. So we put down on paper all the parts needed to replace the OEM MC, (and OEM Bendix booster under the hood if it had one) with new dual MC/2 Stage 8" Power Booster and disc brake equipment. Then we bought all the parts needed and did the conversion...

Yes, there are things on this car that are simple! I hope the information helps.

"It's Hip To Be Square"