This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

As far as the alternator goes you have a number of choices. You can go with a Ford one wire alternator and an adapter bracket from C.R.A.P. that will fit your existing 352. With that you have a minimum of wiring to do. You can use a Ford alternator that uses an external regulator but that requires more involved wiring. You can also use a GM one wire or three wire alternator but you will have to use one of the generic mounting brackets that are sold or make your own. All of these alternators come in a variety of amps. Of course the more amps the more money they cost. I have a 75 amp GM three wire alternator in my '59 conv't with power windows and seat and it's plenty powerful enough. I am not a big fan of the generic mounting bracket that I bought as I had to do some extra modifications to get it stable enough and it still isn't perfect. The C.R.A.P. bracket requires that you use a Ford alternator. I would go that route if you can afford it.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Experienced

Rock&Roll Firebird is on a distinguished road

Thank you for info John. The C.R.A.P. bracket looks fine although a bit expensive. I'd prefer a 3 wire alt connection though so I might go the same way as you did. What kind of bracket did you use and what are the imperfections you are writing about?
Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

This is similar to the bracket I bought. It bolts to the existing generator bracket. Many places sell the same one so look for the best price. One of the problems is that the long bracket that bolts to the water pump does not reach the bottom bolt of the new alternator. I had to make a small extension bracket to reach. Even with that I had a hard time keeping the belt tension as the whole unit wants to twist. I added another bracket which helped a little.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Generator-to...61e01d&vxp=mtr

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Experienced

I looked on e-bay. The first one is the universal you are writing about John, I guess. Can you please take a look at those others, should they be suitable?

Bracket 1 (universal)

Bracket 2

Bracket 3
Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Firebird View Post

I looked on e-bay. The first one is the universal you are writing about John, I guess. Can you please take a look at those others, should they be suitable?
Nos 1 & 3 are for the most part junk.

No 2 is for a 1964/ FE block. It is also very expensive. C.R.A.P. makes a complete kit but all you need from them is the small right angle bracket that will allow the actual mounting bolt to be secured as the early FE is not drilled to accept the later ALT mounting bolt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390-406-427-...-/231014663726

CRITES RESTORATION should have the mounting brackets (take-off) and hardware. PAINLESS WIRING makes a ALT harness for easy changeover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqV,!nUFHTb163Q-BR5)uep,M!~~60_57.JPG (72.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by YellowRose : 07-22-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Picture Exceeded 800x600 Limit
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Experienced

Thanks for all your tips boys, it's a great help indeed! Going to contact the suppliers and when done, the only thing left is to choose the right alternator which can be (if I understand it well) generic GM alt. And if so, that could be maybe purchased even locally in Europe... .
Old 07-22-2013, 04:38 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Firebird View Post

Thanks for all your tips boys, it's a great help indeed!

Going to contact the suppliers and when done, the only thing left is to choose the right alternator

which can be (if I understand it well) generic GM alt.
...sigh...
Old 07-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
...sigh...
What's that? Any recommendations on the alt?