This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnoska View Post
I have been driving my 1960 Thunderbird a bit the last few weeks. My sweetheart commented the other day that there was a strong gasoline smell in the garage after I parked the car. The smell would go away after a bit. I have not driven the car in a week and there has been no gas smell. I am guessing I have a carburetor problem. I am thinking the float is out of adjustment.
Has anybody experienced this problem? Can anybody give me some guidance on where to look, and a possible solution to the problem?
I finally had a few spare hours today to take a look at this. Checked the fuel line all the back and didn't see/feel/smell anything. Drained the oil... I could not tell for sure if I smelled gas in the oil or not. For you experts out there ~ Is there any way to test other than by smell? I assume the gas and oil would mix and be tough to tell visually.

When I removed the fuel pump, the rubber fuel supply line kind of crumbled at the fitting. I suppose this could have been slowly seeping? Now that the fuel pump is out, is there a way to tell if the diaphragm had been leaking internally?

Thanks to All !
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

If you have a fuel leak that close to the engine, the fuel gets vaporized by the warmth so you have no evidence like with an oil leak. Also, this might account for the smell your wife mentioned. Sounds like some modern fuel line is in order in any event!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

if you have a diaphragm with a pin hole, you can have fuel flowing into the crankcase with the engine off. This is especially true if the gas tank is pressurizing when it gets warmer when parked. You probably can not detect a pin hole, so if the pump is old, Id replace it.

as far as gas in the oil, if you have drained it, pour it into a container where you can see the bottom and the gas will separate and rise to the top after several hours of sitting. in the engine, the dipstick will also show the separation if it is significant enough and it sits for several hours, also the level will rise rather than fall with gas going into the crank.

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Default still smelly

After replacing the fuel pump and the rubber bits in and out last season, I thought I had this problem licked, but no dice. The Mrs now insists that the TBird be parked in the driveway, not the garage, due to the fumes!

At our previous home, the garage was detached and at the back of the property, so any fumes were 30 yards from the house. Our "new" home is split level with 2 car attached garage, so any lingering gassy smell easily migrates and collects in the living space, especially the lower level where her office is. My carb is a modern Edelbrock and gas tank is new. I've never noticed gas tank pressure being a problem.

So the question -- is the gassy smell a fact of life or will replacing the gas line make it go away? I still see no evidence of any leaks.

Thanks folks!
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 05-31-2014, 12:36 AM
Experienced

Larry is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem a while back, and it turned out to be a leaking O-ring seal for the fuel sending unit. I pulled the carpet back, and there was a small pool of fuel just sitting in the top of the tank. I replaced the O-ring and all is well now.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:33 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Positive Crankcase Ventilation takes care of this problem. Is she smelling raw gas, blowby or exhaust fumes?

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-31-2014, 09:59 AM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Dave Don't get me wrong - - I smell it too, but I'm not bothered by it, probably because I don't have to smell it all day while I'm trying to work. I'm pretty sure that it is a raw gas smell, but maybe I'm going down the wrong rabbit hole.
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 05-31-2014, 10:01 AM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I had the same problem a while back, and it turned out to be a leaking O-ring seal for the fuel sending unit. I pulled the carpet back, and there was a small pool of fuel just sitting in the top of the tank. I replaced the O-ring and all is well now.
Hi Larry Thanks for the tip! Was wondering if you solved your problem - good to know!
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042
Old 05-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I'm with Larry. Remove the gas cap after driving and if you have no pressure build up then most likely you are leaking from the sender.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I had this same problem I bought a new tank & sending unit and they both came with a rubber / cork style gasket and both of those leaked when I filled up my tank I switched to an all rubber gasket and it has been good since.

It is also easy to get the lock ring not centered as you tighten it.
(pictured is the rubber / cork style gasket that leaked)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001_2.jpg (74.8 KB, 33 views)
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/