This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:08 PM

demon62 is on a distinguished road
Angry wops trans

well my car was at my buddies shop we were trying to find out why my a/c clutch won't turn on and while i ran to the house the car jumped into reverse and off it went he grabed the shift lever and threw it into park. now i have no park gear going to start seeing what damage i have in the tranny! i know my cars not the first to jump into reverse but has anyone lost park by trying to stop the car(insted of using the brake i know, but he got scared and was trying to stop the car) i am thinking the finger that slides into park broke off, i'll to wait and see.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 PM

BigPete is on a distinguished road

First entry on the thread - detent plate....I think we've all been there!!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:06 AM

yes thats how i got to this site and joined the site, i guess i was wondering if anyone did what my buddy did(slamed the car in park) and lost park, and how their luck was. trans seams to run good. going to look inside later next week.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:16 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon62 View Post
yes thats how i got to this site and joined the site, i guess i was wondering if anyone did what my buddy did(slamed the car in park) and lost park, and how their luck was. trans seams to run good. going to look inside later next week.
But no leaving it running by itself in the meantime!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:09 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
But no leaving it running by itself in the meantime!
I couldn't agree more.
Wolfgang over in Germany had a situation with his Bulletbird where it went into reverse while his mechanic was working on it. Check this out and click on the picture to see his thread:

Everyone involved with this one got REAL LUCKY. The garage door was already open, no people or pets were behind the car, and the repair was minimal.

Wolfgang paid someone to rebuild his trans. I think he paid two grand and the car was returned after being 'rebuilt'. Not only did the shop do NOTHING, they never opened the pan. This COM was broken and brazed at the cross beam. It would not go into Park. Read some of the posts. I felt real bad for Wolfgang because he had to go to court to recover his loss. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-12-2013, 04:35 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default wops trans

Whenever I park my Tbird, I pull the emergency brake on and it stays on until I am ready to drive. If I or my mechanic buddy is working on my Tbird, especially if the engine is running, the emergency brake is on and the wheels are blocked...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-12-2013, 07:10 AM
KULTULZ

Wink

You will first need to repair and adjust the shift linkage first and then determine if there is internal damage (parking pawl).

What he did to stop the car is better than it's hitting something and/or somebody.

FORD is famous for this defect.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:59 AM

Smile

all is good looked at this today nothing wrong with tranny. and i agree with you kultulz i am glad he did what he did and didn't get hurt. thanks everyone for your input!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:41 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon62 View Post
all is good looked at this today nothing wrong with tranny. and i agree with you kultulz i am glad he did what he did and didn't get hurt. thanks everyone for your input!
So where did 'Park' go??
Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 AM

Question

It’s weird when this happened my buddy cleaned his shorts, drove the car back on the rack put the car in the air, we started looking at the shift linkage thinking it was set wrong or something( this was before I found and joined the thread) we unhooked everything and put it in park from underneath and it wouldn’t stay in park. Then today hooked everything up put the car in park and it was fine??? I just thought the worse, but got lucky