This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 AM
Experienced

Rock&Roll Firebird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Here is what I have been told by others. This problem can be a combination of several problems that have developed over years of wear and tear on parts. One is the Detent Plate. Another is a worn tip on the end of the shift lever at the steering wheel. Another is a worn connection in the round cup/collar that the shift lever screws into. Another is adjusting the Neutral Switch. Another is a worn Shift Tube Selector Arm. Another is a worn or missing rubber (as I recall) bushing down where the rod that comes off the Shift Tube Selector Arm and runs to the drivers side (as I recall) of the tranny, which attaches to the tranny and shifts it into the PRNDL positions.

Frank, one of our Down Under members, has had many years of experience working on the COM tranny and this problem. He swears that often it is a worn Shift Tube Selector Arm that is the culprit here. But it could also be the other areas too.

I hope this helps. Others might be able to amplify on this too.
I have several questions on this job:

a) can anyone please specify what is this part that Ray is writing about in one of his previos posts - '...worn or missing rubber (as I recall) bushing down where the rod that comes off the Shift Tube Selector Arm and runs to the drivers side (as I recall) of the tranny...'?

b) is the detent plate that can be ordered in this thread the same as this one? I have a feeling that the first one has slightly different shaped holes and maybe because of that it might work better (as it's mentioned in the thread)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg yb.dll.jpeg (56.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg detent-plate-comparison-1.jpg (52.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:51 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Firebird View Post
a) can anyone please specify what is this part that Ray is writing about in one of his previos posts - '...worn or missing rubber (as I recall) bushing down where the rod that comes off the Shift Tube Selector Arm and runs to the drivers side (as I recall) of the tranny...'?
They will appear similar to this illustration-

Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
They will appear similar to this illustration-

Thank you Gary, have a better view now. Any idea how does it call in spare parts depots?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 AM
KULTULZ

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Firebird View Post

Thank you Gary, have a better view now. Any idea how does it call in spare parts depots?
The part shown is used on later models. The FORD/BIRD of this period used direct contact pins/holes in the lever(s).

I will send Ray an illustration.

If you have a 49/59 FORD MPC, go to ILL CATALOG A72 Page 237.

Last edited by KULTULZ : 05-23-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Experienced

Quote:
The part shown is used on later models. The FORD/BIRD of this period used direct contact pins/holes in the lever(s).

I will send Ray an illustration.

If you have a 49/59 FORD MPC, go to ILL CATALOG A72 Page 237.
Just looked into the catalog, not sure which part is it though. Can you advise the p/n from the catalog?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:20 PM
KULTULZ

Bushing(s)- 351341-S Spring Washer

Check pin wear on 7302 and pin hole on 7354. Check anything that moves (have someone jiggle shift lever).

There is a BIRD dedicated bell crank asm (7326 goes to) but it is not shown on ILL. It may be shown in the Shop Manual.

Basically, all linkage(s) must be correct (not worn) and adjusted correctly. Adjusting the neutral safety switch would follow this.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Experienced

Quote:
There is a BIRD dedicated bell crank asm (7326 goes to) but it is not shown on ILL.
Thank you. Not sure that I understood this part. Can you explain?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:35 PM
KULTULZ

There should be a bracket (similar to the fuel bell crank) that transfers movement from the 7326 to the actual shift lever on the side of the trans case.

You need to check for wear here also.

ADDITIONS-

The 7A256 is a lever actually attached at the main case to give shift range selection(s) - (1960-64 FORD MPC ILL A70.3 Page 241) There is a bushing within where the 7326 rod attaches.

Again, a Shop Manual photo may show more assembly detail than a parts blowup.

Last edited by KULTULZ : 05-23-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Detent plate replacement

First of all let me address the detent plate question. The ones available through Squarebirds.org on our Home page are the ones that Alexander had made and are still available. With his passing, his sister, Marianne stepped in and took over the Detent Plate program for us and has been doing an excellent job ever since. I assume that the detent plates being offered by various Tbird parts houses are obtained from Marianne, but I do not know that for sure. If you want the original one as designed by Alexander, order from our Home page, through PayPal and Marianne will process your order.

Now the rubber bushing(s) that I was speaking of regarding the tranny is/are that/those that are down at the tranny drivers side, where the rod from the Shift Tube Selector Arm attaches to the tranny. In my case, one of them was worn, dried out, and falling apart and had to be replaced. Looking at the parts breakout, there seems to be more than one rubber bushing involved there. Check any you find to see if they are missing, worn, crumbling, rotted, etc, and replace them. I think part # 77265, 7B49B (hard to read that first letter), 7A256 (looks like a rubber bushing on the end of it) are rubber bushings. In my case, I think it was that 7B49B that part #7A256 goes into was worn and had to be replaced. But I was not there when that work was done. As for replacements, check with the Bird House, the Bird Nest and other Tbird parts houses to see if they have them. Here is a parts break out of the '60 tranny area. Gary sent it to me, as I recall, for posting for a '64 Tbird problem but it is a breakout of the '60 FM, FX, MX tranny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64 BIRD - Shift Selector Seals.jpg (131.4 KB, 72 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-24-2013, 04:05 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

Now the rubber bushing(s) that I was speaking of regarding the tranny is/are that/those that are down at the tranny drivers side, where the rod from the Shift Tube Selector Arm attaches to the tranny. In my case, one of them was worn, dried out, and falling apart and had to be replaced. Looking at the parts breakout, there seems to be more than one rubber bushing involved there. Check any you find to see if they are missing, worn, crumbling, rotted, etc, and replace them. I think part # 77265, 7B49B (hard to read that first letter), 7A256 (looks like a rubber bushing on the end of it) are rubber bushings. In my case, I think it was that 7B49B that part #7A256 goes into was worn and had to be replaced. But I was not there when that work was done. As for replacements, check with the Bird House, the Bird Nest and other Tbird parts houses to see if they have them. Here is a parts break out of the '60 tranny area. Gary sent it to me, as I recall, for posting for a '64 Tbird problem but it is a breakout of the '60 FM, FX, MX tranny.
Ray,

The parts shown in the ILL are actually selector shaft seals. If they are bad, there will be fluid leakage around the shaft(s).

I am sending you four ILL showing all of the shift linkage(s). Hopefully they will show more detail.

Here are the Illustrations that Gary sent me. Click on each link to bring them up.

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/STR%20...58-%20BIRD.jpg

http://www.squarebirds.org/SB/STR%20...0Similiar).jpg

As usual, if you want to zoom in or out, use Ctrl + to zoom in or Ctrl - to zoom out.

ADDITION-

The second ILL, while actually a 61/63 BIRD, is similar and shows how all of the components fit/work together.

Also, 351341-S is actually a spring washer (to hold tension on pin and hole) and not an actual bushing.

Last edited by KULTULZ : 05-24-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Add Pix by Ray / Give Detail On Ill