This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Firebird View Post

Comparing the photo of your fan with the one from the link (and a 18" one from the link) it's obvious that you have the 18" fan. I would like to buy as large fan as it can fit into the fan shroud (thanks KULTULZ for the tip) as every inch of cooling power counts .

Lance did not measure or advise the fan size sofar, he only offered the 17" steel fan. The question is - would your shroud from the Galaxie be so different in size from the Tbird one so it would allow to fit the 18"?
If the repro shroud is the same size as the OEM, it will take an 18" fan blade, minimum five blade.

To re-core a radiator is to actually replace the cooling core while the tanks are retained.

To rod a radiator is to clean the core tubes in a solvent.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Flex Fans & Shrouds

Hi Jiri, I think you got your answer regarding the fan size. I tried to get you a measurement on the width of my 1963 Galaxie fan shroud, but I could not do it. I did measure it across the top and it is 23 1/2" as I recall. There are some members who run the ABS fiberglass versions and some who are using the metal Galaxie ones like me. The nice thing about the ABS versions that are made for the Squarebirds is that you do not have to modify them to mount them. The metal one from the Galaxie you do.

Gary, thanks for the explanations.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Experienced

Rock&Roll Firebird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
If the repro shroud is the same size as the OEM, it will take an 18" fan blade, minimum five blade.

To re-core a radiator is to actually replace the cooling core while the tanks are retained.

To rod a radiator is to clean the core tubes in a solvent.
This is what Lance says about the fan size: 'It will fit but not recommended due to the torque of motor and age of rubber mounts. Could hit the shroud.' Not sure if this is valid for the flex fan also - as that one is still much lighter.

What do you recommend - should I go with the 18" like this one?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Experienced

This seems a good price for a water pump. Do I need to send my pump for exchange (which is not doable for me) or not?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:56 AM
Experienced

Also, I bought an IR thermometer to check the engine's temperature behavior. What is the best part to check the temperature on - the radiator hose, the expansion tank, the block?
Old 05-10-2013, 07:12 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:

This is what Lance says about the fan size: 'It will fit but not recommended due to the torque of motor and age of rubber mounts. Could hit the shroud.' Not sure if this is valid for the flex fan also - as that one is still much lighter.

What do you recommend - should I go with the 18" like this one?
1960 BIRD OEM asm used an 18" fan. If the repro shroud is molded the same as the OEM, the fan should work fine. If the mounts were weak, the fan would also contact an original shroud. You of course would ascertain that your mounts are good and there is little engine torque movement.

The flex fan you are looking at is a good choice (IMO) as it is much lighter than the stamped steel OEM fan and does not require a fan clutch. Both are a strain on the WP bearing and rob top end HP. This fan also flexes it's blades at RPM so that it does not draw HP @ road speed.

I think the vendor is trying to protect his butt with his disclaimer. But you have to ascertain if the fan will have enough clearance at assembly.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:

This seems a good price for a water pump. Do I need to send my pump for exchange (which is not doable for me) or not?
I would be more concerned about the quality of the WP rather than price. If the pump is or becomes defective, you are stuck.

If you cannot return the pump, you will gave to pay the CORE CHARGE.

Quote:

Also, I bought an IR thermometer to check the engine's temperature behavior. What is the best part to check the temperature on - the radiator hose, the expansion tank, the block?
The most critical spot will be behind @ the thermostat housing where the coolant flows out of the intake past the thermostat.

You would also check the block skirt water jackets, cylinder head jackets and the radiator core for hot spots.

READ HERE- http://automotive.flex-a-lite.com/belt-driven-fans.html

This will give you more detail regarding a flex-fan. Catalogs like SUMMIT and JEGS have limited descriptions/product. It is better (IMO) to research what you need directly from a vendor's catalog and then price search.

...gee Gary...think a referring URL would help?

Referring URL Added Above...
ALSO-

FLEX-FAN FAQ- http://automotive.flex-a-lite.com/frequent-questions/

Last edited by KULTULZ : 05-10-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: ADD INFO
Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Flex Fans & Shrouds

Hi Jiri,

Both Lance at Tbirds SW and I have sent you emails regarding the radiator, expansion tank, flex fans and shrouds. Hopefully, they will help you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Experienced

Thank you Ray, appreciate it! Going to reply just now...
Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
I am not a "fan" of the FLEX type fan...(I had one come apart and take out a radiator as well as dent/cut the hood on my 1957 Thunderbird).

They actually "straighten" out at around 15 miles per hour and become inefficient where a metal fan keeps pulling the air thru the radiator (when used with a shroud).'
That is why they are called a flex fan. You do not need a fan @ road speed. The blades straighten out and put much less of a load on the engine. FORD has been using them for years.

And if one buys a quality fan (quality over price), it is unlikely it will come apart.