This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Water pump exchange

I got my metal fan shroud off eBay. It was for a 1963 Ford Galaxie. I would imagine a '61-'62 Galaxie would work also. There were slight modifications to it that had to be done to the bottom to mount it, but that was not bad. We also had to drill into the top of the radiator to secure the top half. To prevent us from drilling to deeply into the radiator and causing a problem, we put a piece of metal (as I recall) or rubber over the drill bit to prevent it from going to deep. Just drill deep enough to screw in some self tapping screws.

There are the fiberglass types also available. I think several of the Tbird parts houses have them. I know that Thunderbirds Southwest has one that is set up to mount right on our Squarebirds for $170. Check this link out.

http://thunderbirdsouthwest.com/inde...n-shrouds.html

If you have questions, email Lance Herrington.

lance@thunderbirdsouthwest.com

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Experienced

Rock&Roll Firebird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
I got my metal fan shroud off eBay. It was for a 1963 Ford Galaxie. I would imagine a '61-'62 Galaxie would work also. There were slight modifications to it that had to be done to the bottom to mount it, but that was not bad. We also had to drill into the top of the radiator to secure the top half. To prevent us from drilling to deeply into the radiator and causing a problem, we put a piece of metal (as I recall) or rubber over the drill bit to prevent it from going to deep. Just drill deep enough to screw in some self tapping screws.

There are the fiberglass types also available. I think several of the Tbird parts houses have them. I know that Thunderbirds Southwest has one that is set up to mount right on our Squarebirds for $170. Check this link out.

http://thunderbirdsouthwest.com/inde...n-shrouds.html

If you have questions, email Lance Herrington.

lance@thunderbirdsouthwest.com
Thank you Ray. Did not find the fan shroud for the Galaxie, but would the '61-'65 T-bird fan shroud work on a Squarebird?

Also, will this fan blade work on a Squarebird?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 PM

Default Fan Shroud

Hi Jiri, No, that 61-65 Tbird shroud will not work on the Squarebird. I called Wilsons for you and they told me that it will not work. In regards to that fan, that might work, but I would rather one of our more technically inclined people comment on it. I know that the 5 bladed fan for the Squarebirds does work though. You can get them from any of the Tbird parts houses. I bought a 6 bladed flex fan from one of the auto parts stores locally and it went right on with no problems at all. I got it from Autozone, or O'Reilly's autoparts probably, since both of them are just a few blocks away from me. With the radiator being recored a year or two ago, the fan shroud and the 6 bladed fan, I have not had anymore problems with it overheating. Here is a picture of what mine looks like. I do not remember what it cost. I think it was about $30. I also think it was an 18" fan, but it might have been this 17" one..

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=267070_0_0_

BTW, did you receive the email I sent you about the WW II Czech workers and the shells? If not, let me know and I will try sending it again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nu6BladeFlexFan~1.jpg (67.5 KB, 50 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 05-09-2013, 08:01 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Firebird View Post

Thank you for the tip. $200 is pretty expensive for a piece of plastic... Is it possible to get it cheaper elsewhere?

And if not, how effective is the influence of the shroud on the cooling? I'll get the 6-blade fan for sure, but need to be sure that the $200 for the shroud are really worth. Fact is, I will be driving in the hot summer and anything that helps to cool the bird down is good...
I cannot imagine a proper cooling system without a fan shroud, especially on a AC install.

FORD realized this during the 1960 model run.

If you decide on the shroud, ask what diameter fan will fit within the shroud before buying the fan asm.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Hi Jiri, No, that 61-65 Tbird shroud will not work on the Squarebird. I called Wilsons for you and they told me that it will not work. In regards to that fan, that might work, but I would rather one of our more technically inclined people comment on it. I know that the 5 bladed fan for the Squarebirds does work though. You can get them from any of the Tbird parts houses. I bought a 6 bladed flex fan from one of the auto parts stores locally and it went right on with no problems at all. I got it from Autozone, or O'Reilly's autoparts probably, since both of them are just a few blocks away from me. With the radiator being recored a year or two ago, the fan shroud and the 6 bladed fan, I have not had anymore problems with it overheating. Here is a picture of what mine looks like. I do not remember what it cost. I think it was about $30. I also think it was an 18" fan, but it might have been this 17" one..

BTW, did you receive the email I sent you about the WW II Czech workers and the shells? If not, let me know and I will try sending it again...
Thank you for the tip Ray - every $ saved is worth. Is there any diference between steel fan and a flex fan? Lance is offering a steel fan, 6-blade, 17" for $60. I can not compare this, a flex fan seems lighter and therefore might be more effective. Or not...?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Experienced

What does a radiator recoring really mean, what is done with the radiator during that process? Need to know to find where that could be done.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Very nice story indeed Ray! Only now I had the time to read it. Must have been a very difficult time back than, at war… Fortunately, war gone over and now we can enjoy another part of the technical history - our Squarebirds!

Jiri

PS: …and I will, when the cooling and braking (and maybe few other minor things) are done.
PS2: this forum is a truly magnificent place - such great people here, willing to help and share their knowledge and experience... I mean, great!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:29 PM

Default Flex Fans

Jiri, I hope that some of our more techincally qualified members will jump in here and help answer some of your questions. But first, regarding flex fans, here is an explanation that I found that might help.

"Automotive or radiator cooling fans are a necessity, but they can also rob power when you need it most. Flexible, or Flex Fans might be the answer. When you're driving at low RPM you need your fan to pull air across the radiator to keep your engine cool. When your moving down the highway or track, there is plenty of air moving across the radiator. Flex fans are made to keep their shape up to a certain RPM. As an engine reaches that RPM level, the fan blades "flatten" out reducing the air pull. A "flat fan" is much easier to turn because it has no drag. As engine RPM's slow down, the flex fan will regain its shape to pull air again. A simple radiator cooling fan solution!"

I tried to find something to explain the principle behind recoring a radiator but could not find one. It is a matter of going into the radiator, I gather, and reburbishing the "cores" that the water runs through, cleaning out any rush or debris in them. Hopefully, again, one of our guys with greater knowledge than me can explain this better. Several years ago, my radiator on Rose was taken off, and recored an made like new again. Between that, the shroud and the flex fan, I have not had any overheating problems since then. If that is the OEM radiator on your Tbird, if you can find a good radiator shop there, it might be good to have it recored, if they can do it.

Thanks for letting me know you received that email. I thought you might find it interesting. Thank you also for the complement regarding our Forum. That is much appreciated.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Experienced

Quote:
I also think it was an 18" fan, but it might have been this 17" one..

Comparing the photo of your fan with the one from the link (and a 18" one from the link) it's obvious that you have the 18" fan. I would like to buy as large fan as it can fit into the fan shroud (thanks KULTULZ for the tip) as every inch of cooling power counts .

Lance did not measure or advise the fan size sofar, he only offered the 17" steel fan. The question is - would your shroud from the Galaxie be so different in size from the Tbird one so it would allow to fit the 18"?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Experienced

Quote:
I tried to find something to explain the principle behind recoring a radiator but could not find one. It is a matter of going into the radiator, I gather, and reburbishing the "cores" that the water runs through, cleaning out any rush or debris in them. Hopefully, again, one of our guys with greater knowledge than me can explain this better. Several years ago, my radiator on Rose was taken off, and recored an made like new again. Between that, the shroud and the flex fan, I have not had any overheating problems since then. If that is the OEM radiator on your Tbird, if you can find a good radiator shop there, it might be good to have it recored, if they can do it.
I found several radiator shops here in Czech and from what I've learned, besides the leak repair thay can:
a) clean out the cores from minerals, rush, etc.
b) re-core the radiator which basically means keeping only the radiator frame and replacing the core with the new one