This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:32 PM
KULTULZ

Rebuild kits are readily available. They are just difficult to find as they are mostly sold wholsale to re-builders.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-59-60-f...a412e1&vxp=mtr

the kits that we supply are the same type parts style and dimensions as the O,E,M parts that were use in the beginning when the pump was first manufactured, Now because of its age over time people use different parts when re-building them and a lot of the people modify the pump to take different parts in order to re-build it, Its very important to take your old pump apart and measure and match all the parts to this kit before buying and to ask for the different type parts if your pump has been modified we have a lot of other sizes and styles of seals its up to you to tell use if you need another type before we ship remember you have the pump not us, ask about your parts dimensions.

Last edited by simplyconnected : 05-18-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: resized font
Old 05-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Kits may be available but why pay $75 + 16 s/h = $81.00, and then I have to do all the work, when A1 Cardone only wants $63 + for a finished product with a warranty?

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

"...which further adds confusion and begs another question:

Why on earth would there be any core charge if they are rebuilding MY pump?"

for $3.60 perhaps a mid morning coffee and bagel ?
Old 05-19-2013, 02:08 AM
KULTULZ

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post

Kits may be available but why pay $75 + 16 s/h = $81.00, and then I have to do all the work, when A1 Cardone only wants $63 + for a finished product with a warranty?
There you go...

The kits can be sourced more cheaply, but why bother? As long as the re-builder is using quality parts (you would never know).

CARDONE- http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...iters%3a%3a%3a

I would deal directly with CARDONE- http://www.cardone.com/about-us/service

http://www.cardone.com/docs/r-r-form...20rev-2019.pdf

Last edited by KULTULZ : 05-19-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Experienced

triple60squares is on a distinguished road

i broke down and ordered a new pump from macs last night they currently are offering 15% off cooling system parts so i got it for 110.00 no core required

i found 3 at green sales in cincinnati for 95.00 plus a 35.00 core but they are old store stock that were rebuilt and have been on the shelf for who knows how long maybe good for a on the trailer off the trailer car but i dont know about one that will be driven frequently
Old 05-21-2013, 02:27 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

The kits can be sourced more cheaply, but why bother? As long as the re-builder is using quality parts (you would never know).
The vendor selling on EvilBay has a captive audience.

Example shown below being more reasonable in price-

http://www.deadnutson.com/catalog/it...31/6378873.htm

Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 AM

vwtourbus is on a distinguished road

Also try rockauto.com. They have lots of parts and usually at a good price.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Experienced

Rock&Roll Firebird is on a distinguished road

Today I also managed to install the new expansion cap and thermostat. What was my surprise when I removed the tank and found no thermostat in there . Must say that Gary had a really precise note on this previously about the thermostat missing. Couldn't imagine that possible. Why would anyone do something like that?

Anyway, installed the new thermostat and cap and everything seems to work well sofar. After 20 minutes of idle the temperature at the manifold and the tank was around 180 and the thermostat seemed to be opening. The dash temp gauge was max between the 'M' and 'P' letters.

What I'm not sure about though is where the tank gasket should be properly placed, because:
a) the shop manual says: '...the supply tank gasket must be positioned on the manifold before the thermostat is installed.'
b) see the picture

???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 22.00.31.jpg (244.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Experienced

Rock&Roll Firebird is on a distinguished road

And a few photos from the surgery. Guess the radiator hoses need to be replaced as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0509.jpg (109.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0515.jpg (100.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0519.jpg (84.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Firebird View Post
What I'm not sure about though is where the tank gasket should be properly placed, because:
a) the shop manual says: '...the supply tank gasket must be positioned on the manifold before the thermostat is installed.'
b) see the picture

???
The thermostat should be placed in the overflow tank first and then the gasket goes over it. I use Permatex to hold the thermostat and gasket in place. The picture is a little misleading.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm