This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Experienced

Rock&Roll Firebird is on a distinguished road
Default Water pump exchange

Hello guys, long time no see... I'm just at the beginning of putting my newly purchased '59 t-bird into a shape and as the bird overheats a bit, I need to start with cooling. There's a loose fan belt which I'll exchange, but presently I need to ask the more experienced of you about two things:

a) is there an easy way to determine if the water pump is malfunctioning somehow or does not work at 100 %? Either by spinning it by hand to see if it goes loose or hard or so... There's a 15% off discount on cooling and gas systems at Mac's parts till the end of May and as the $110 is not that high price, I'm thinking about buying the pump either to exchange it or to keep it as a spare one (I'm from Europe so keeping some particular parts could come handy when it comes to an exchange).

b) is it worth to purchase the '61-'66 6-blade fan instead of the original? Does it work better? Any experience?
Is this the one I could use? Does it fit or it needs to be adjusted somehow?

Thanks a lot for any of your help!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

to the best of my knowledge the water pump only has two items that can deteriorate: the seal and the bearing.

A worn bearing would be evidenced by excessive play in the shaft (perhaps see shop manual for details). A bad seal will allow leakage out the seap hole on the bottom side of the pump.

You can get your current one rebuilt for $80 and get a year warranty (Arthur Gould in NY). They glass bead it so you can paint it nicely, as well.

6 blade fan is a +++.

John
Old 05-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

I agree with John - the vanes to pump the fluid can wear but you hardly ever see it - most of the time it's the bearing or the seal. If your belt is squealing and not just loose the bearing may be locking up. Fan should spin fairly easy with the belt off. The damper will also make a squealing noise if it is going bad. It could be slipping and not turning the water pump like it should. Bad dampers are not common either but that's the kind of luck I have.

I installed a NOS heavy duty flex fan from a 1977? Tbird with the 400 engine (shown below). The Tbird fan is driven off the water pump which is driven from the damper on the crankshaft. The added resistance from the big fan ruined my damper (made it separate). The link to the fan you posted looks a lot less aggressive than the one I had so it may work.

I should have installed 2 belts and a different pulley to the waterpump before adding the big fan. The 5 blade style fans were standard on the air conditioned cars however they have a dual pulley on the waterpump - just something to keep in mind - maybe someone here is running a 5 or 6 bade fan on the standard set up and will be able to let you know if they have had any trouble - pretty sure I have seen them just can't say for sure as I have not done it.

Most of the time overheating is due to a clogged radiator.

Eric

(This was after I added a dual pulley to the water pump but you can see the fan. There was only about 1/4 inch clearance between the back of the blade and the front of the expansion tank - probably the biggest fan that will physically fit in there - - had to buy a shorter fan spacer too)
Old 05-05-2013, 07:32 PM
John

I have had both 5 and 6 blade fans on stock water pumps. No problems. I have a shroud but have never gotten around to installing it.

I have a vague recollection that Ford installed a 6 blade fan on some 1960 TBirds when the air conditioning option was included.

I also seem to remember some discussion on Squarebirds involving a higher capacity waterpump.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road

Rock&Roll, my first guess is that your water pump is OK, at least if you don't have leakage out of the weap hole, and or the pump is not squealing. So what the other guys have advised is good advice. However if you do want to buy a new pump, perhaps you might want to check out Rockauto.com. They list a 59tbird 352 water pump for $67. You can check out their advertisement in the "Parts for Sale" catagory of this Squarebirds.org user forum and find Rock Auto's ad that gives 5% off.
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
KULTULZ

FOMOCO experienced severe overheating problems with the 58/59 BIRD and it was finally addressed on 1960 model run with a heavier radiator, five blade fan and shroud (AC equipped).

-1960 BIRD COOLING SYSTEM UPGRADE(S)-

As I am overly anal, I would choose to have the original pump rebuilt (closely inspect impeller condition) if it has the correct Casting I.D. Nos.

A radiator over the years will build scale deposits in the core and the cooling efficiency will suffer, especially if the cooling system has not been serviced properly. If the core appears good (no obvious corrosion/leakage), most any certified radiator shop can perform a flow test. Have it re-cored (MODINE) to keep the OEM appearance.

If severe overheating is a problem (after fan shroud and blade upgrade), consider a trans cooler and a free flowing thermostat.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 PM
John

Gary, I gotta ask: what is a free flowing thermostat and where do you get one?

It is often struck me that a standard thermostat, while open, is a real obstacle to flow.

Thanks!

John
Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 PM
KULTULZ

Here 'ya go-

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/..._overview.html

Competition Engine Only-

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tec...ech_Tips_3.htm
Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Gary, I gotta ask: what is a free flowing thermostat and where do you get one?

It is often struck me that a standard thermostat, while open, is a real obstacle to flow.
It's even worse than that, John...
"High-flow thermostats from Milodon greatly aid the correct functioning of a high-performance cooling system. They're engineered to warm the engine to a proper operating temperature without making it run hot enough to lose power. Also, the "Balanced Sleeve" design equalizes the pressures exerted on the thermostat. This counters the undesired effect of increased flow from a high-volume water pump, which actually tends to hold a stat closed."
Summit price is $14.95. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM
John

you have my attention. Anything that adds to more efficient cooling of the Squarebird motor is important.

so do you guys use either these thermostats and/or water pumps?