This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 PM

demon62 is on a distinguished road
Talking air compressor

Air compressor won't turn on, any ideas other than electrical
Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

There are times when I can be thick but... Is your compressor powered by an ELECTRIC motor? If it won't turn on, I would look at the electric motor.

Is there more to this? - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 PM

yes it's electrical but i thought at one time there was a vacum problem i had before. i cant find a vacum leak this time
Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Experienced

Ian M Greer is on a distinguished road

Is your pressure switch defective ? If you have no pressure or the pressure is below the setting of the pressure switch the air compressor should start . Check the switch for power and possible broken or open contacts . The pressure switch is what maintains a constant pressure in your tank by sensing tank pressure and bringing on the compressor when it drops below what ever your preset pressure for low pressure in your tank and intern turns off the compressor when you reach the setting for high pressure in the tank . If your compressor is large enough the pressure switch will intern engage the electrical starter to put electrical power to the motor driving the compressor. Ian
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 PM

Cool

thanks for the help IAN i looked at the switch (under driver side dash?) i found a ground wire and two electric prongs with nothing pluged in and a red wire running towards the passenger side i'll start there.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Experienced

Not trying to guide you astay on my answer , but reading your other posting I'm coming to the conclusion you are referring to your air-conditioning compressor . There is a wire directly at the A/C compressor from the electric clutch assembly that should plug into a wire running along your valve cover . More times than enough you will find it dissconnected because either the compressor is seized or defective or the system is out of freon . Newer cars have a saftey low pressure cut out switch built in the wiring to prevent the compressor from running our early birds do not have such a switch . If setting the A/C thermostat to the coldest position and the wire is connected then I would look for a power issue or possibly a defective thermostat . But nine times out of ten its a gas or a compressor issue . If such is the case have a qualified car A/C man look at it. keep us posted , Ian M Greer (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH)
Old 05-13-2013, 01:28 AM

Unhappy

thanks i will let you next week what a find, i dont know if you seen my other post about what happend when we started the car after hooking up the a/c lines to charge the system. while she was on the rack she jumped into reverse and off she went, stoping five feet from a boat at the shop. my buddy grabed the shift lever and put it in park now i lost my park gear, so i am digging into this also. keep you posted of the out come
Old 05-13-2013, 08:03 AM
KULTULZ

Red face

I thought he was describing a shop air compressor...
Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Experienced

Gary I thought so to , until I read another one of his posts . I felt a little down when I realized he was talking about his car A/C and not an air compressor. Anyway were on the right topic now , regards Ian (REMEMBER NOT ALL BIRDS FLY SOUTH)
Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 AM

Question

yes i am talking about my car A/C compressor, when i turn the air on in the car my compressor clutch doesn't come on. and as of today i am still chasing this issue. i can run a jumper wire to the clutch and it comes on. i chased the wire to a relay of some sorts(under driver side) and i have a red wire going over to the passenger side. on this relay there are two male ends not in use, so i guessing something came loose. does this relay make any sense to you or is this not related to my a/c.