This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Now here's something interesting I didn't realize after looking for the production numbers on my original engine to post for everyone. Sorry about the pics but I was in a hurry.

So on my bone stock original engine just pulled out of the car my Dad purchased new (so I know 100% it's the engine that came in the car) - there is no 352 stamp on the end of the block - only a 15.

Here are the intake numbers ( 0F2 and C1AE9425B )

Heads ( COAE 3090 )

Block (44 - 6 - some other numbers - I'll have to get them later)

Passenger side manifold ( OE? 5751209 - not sure on all the digits - will get a better look when I have time)

Drivers side manifold ( OE13 5750?31 - not sure on the last 4 digits)

Eric
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The C1AE manifold is interesting. I've never seen a '61 part number manifold on an original '60 engine. Is the car a late serial number by any chance.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post

The C1AE manifold is interesting. I've never seen a '61 part number manifold on an original '60 engine. Is the car a late serial number by any chance.

John
The intake is either from a 61/ or is an over the counter service part. Refer to Date Code.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:21 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
...C1AE 9425-B is the recommended replacement for Squarebird FE engines. That means this part came out in 1961,..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
The C1AE manifold is interesting. I've never seen a '61 part number manifold on an original '60 engine...
Yep, it's in the book!

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 AM
KULTULZ

Originally Posted by jopizz

Quote:
The C1AE manifold is interesting. I've never seen a '61 part number manifold on an original '60 engine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post

Yep, it's in the book!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

The intake is either from a 61/ or is an over the counter service part. Refer to Date Code.
That intake is listed in the MPC as a service parts replacement for the 58/60 FE. It was not a 58/60 assembly part.

The MPC only gives service parts replacement(s), not assembly parts (although references may be made for proper ID).

The C1AE intake is not correct for a period restoration unless one could produce a shop receipt showing it had been replaced during the car's service history, and it may not be accepted then (I would think).

9424 is a SERVICE PART NO Basic Number

9425 is an ENGINEERING NO Basic Number

The 58 intake (at the least) will be identified by the then used NUMERICAL SEVEN CHARACTER CODE PN SYSTEM of the period.

The only time 9424 will be shown within/or as a CASTING ID NO is in instances where FORD bought the intakes (usually alum HP) from an outside vendor.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:53 AM
KULTULZ

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post

Now here's something interesting I didn't realize after looking for the production numbers on my original engine to post for everyone. Sorry about the pics but I was in a hurry.

So on my bone stock original engine just pulled out of the car my Dad purchased new (so I know 100% it's the engine that came in the car) - there is no 352 stamp on the end of the block - only a 15.

Here are the intake numbers ( 0F2 and C1AE9425B )

Eric
Have you found the block CASTING ID NOS. yet? This may be a much later block (15).

The intake shown (C1AE 9425-B) (Date Code JUN 2, 1960), is there an opening for the water temp sensor in the front coolant crossover passage?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:14 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwtourbus View Post

Ok so I got some numbers off the intake- 5751086, 94x??
Can you post a Date Code off the intake?

5751086 is a 332 2V intake.

5751087 is a 332/352 4V intake.

Both the early 332 and 352 came thru with solids and machined combustion chambers in the heads. The changeover to the hydraulic engines was made before the 58 BIRD release.

I wonder if the early 1958 EDSEL 361 was a solid lifter engine? Always something to learn everyday.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 AM
KULTULZ

Question

Eric,

Do you know the build date of the car?

I am just wondering if this intake was part of a possible running production change...

This later (1961/ ) intake style deleted the water temp sensor from being located within the WP bypass hose.

Related Discussion- http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=10383
Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Gary - that seems the most likely scenario although it is slightly possible the engine was out of the car shortly after it was bought (I believe that was early '61). I had asked one time if they ever had any major trouble with it. Apparently it missed really bad when it had about 500 miles on it. They took it to the dealer and Mom remembered them saying they had to replace a cracked piston - haven't found any documentation of that (I've got LOTS of receipts) and my Dad had already passed away so couldn't get the scoop from him.

It is an August 60 car (25H) You can just barely see the water temp sensor hole next to the vacuum port block in that pic.

Hope you don't mid this info in your thread Russell...

Eric

Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 AM
KULTULZ

Question Fascinating Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post

Gary - that seems the most likely scenario although it is slightly possible the engine was out of the car shortly after it was bought (I believe that was early '61). I had asked one time if they ever had any major trouble with it. Apparently it missed really bad when it had about 500 miles on it. They took it to the dealer and Mom remembered them saying they had to replace a cracked piston - haven't found any documentation of that (I've got LOTS of receipts) and my Dad had already passed away so couldn't get the scoop from him.

It is an August 60 car (25H) You can just barely see the water temp sensor hole next to the vacuum port block in that pic.

Hope you don't mid this info in your thread Russell...

Eric

Interesting. Too bad that particular service record was not kept. It is possible that the later model intake (C1AE 9424-B) was either a late production run part (the earlier intakes being exhausted for assembly and the next model year intake being cast for early 1961 assembly was used in place), or it was TSB update...or, for some reason the assembly intake was defective/damaged during that service and was replaced by this later service replacement part number.

I wish I had a source for this period TSB's.

In conclusion, without that information, it cannot be determined in that the intake is correct assembly or not...