This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:52 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The Gabriel catalog shows a G63506 as their alternative to the Monroe 37191. The specs look about the same. It doesn't look like RockAuto carries them.

http://gabriel.com/product-search/li...partnum=G63506

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

This is good info. I've been wanting to replace my old shocks since I know they seem to be old Gabriels from the 80's. Order has been placed.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:37 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Hopefully Tim Daleo (project Snowbird) won't mind me "borrowing" a few pics of his car.

The shocks on his car would be nice to find. They included a "helper" spring. Probably a style made for towing that are no longer available. Also looks like maybe an extra leaf was added? because of the additional bracket on the leaf springs.

Notice how his car sits with the rear fender just about the top of the hubcap.

Mine sits a little lower with the fender coming to about the top of the "rays" on the hubcap (and it seems mine sits pretty high compared to most).

Just an observation.....
Eric
Old 01-13-2015, 03:32 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

If I like to change shocks, and want " the smooth & soft Cadillac cruise feeling ", what shocks should I look for? Brand and part number please. She already sits low and nice, but fresh dampers can only be good right? Ruth is a lady, and not a racer. For that, I have my Volvo S60 Polestar
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 01-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Shocks don't determine ride height.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:50 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

In part I agree, Steve. Shock absorbers should not determine ride height. Springs do.
What about Load Leveler or Air Shocks? They certainly determine ride height because they add spring to the suspension.

Unless you use your car to haul phone books in the trunk, stay away from Air Shocks. Buy a pair of good leaf springs and a pair of premium (heavy duty) shocks that come with a warranty.

Anders, all the vendors carry 'classic ride' shock absorbers. They are extremely mushy and in my opinion, they don't last long. We are not looking for a stiff ride, but one that keeps the wheels on the ground and stops the car body from bouncing. In other words, the shock absorber smooths out a washboard road or railroad tracks. A quality shock should last a long time and include a good warranty.

I will order a set for my '55. The '59 already has a new set. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Experienced

toddgilroy is on a distinguished road

If Monroe is discontinuing 37191, it looks like 37197 would be another alternative. Specs are nearly identical (just 1/8 inch difference in lengths) and the stems are M10 vs. 3/8 inch. This shock was used on Land Rover Discovery through 1999.
Thunderbird Registry #54651
Old 01-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I don't mind saying, I'm getting fed up with rockauto.com. Since I called them, they raised the price on our shocks by a dollar each. Furthermore, their 5% discount doesn't mean stink if I can buy the same items WITH TAX cheaper at Amazon.com.

Does it make sense that rockauto charges $16 shipping when Amazon charges NINE? <--that beats RA's discount including Michigan's 4% sales tax. You don't need to guess who gets my order.

Sorry Rockauto, I would like to order from a member who treats us right but your prices aren't doing me any favors. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I tried to order 4 different items from RA and each item shipped from a different location. By the time I was ready to check out, my S/H charges exceeded the cost of the items. Need to say, I cancelled the order before I completed it.
Nyles
Old 01-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

I agree Dave, I'd never install load leveler shocks, since they put a load in a place it wasn't designed. Better to put in different springs or better yet, if you have coils, an adjustable air suspension.