This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Something I noticed from your first pics in post #12 compared to the diagram in post #17. The diagram seems to show the springs arced upwards (like a frown, which seems unusual) and your installation shows them arced downward (like a smile). I know you've taken them out and reversed the shackles since, I'm curious if you still have them arced up.

The later pics seem to show a nice level car, but it's a bit hard to tell from the angles. Mine certainly has a nose up attitude.

I have no idea if that's significant or not or if I'm interpreting that diagram correctly. Are they really supposed to be arced down like the diagram seems to indicate? I can't go check mine, it's still under cover from winter.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road

I have left them arched the same as they were I just flipped the rear shackles up, The diagram in post 17 is for a 1963 model here is one I found for the 59/60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
Something I noticed from your first pics in post #12 compared to the diagram in post #17. The diagram seems to show the springs arced upwards (like a frown, which seems unusual) and your installation shows them arced downward (like a smile). I know you've taken them out and reversed the shackles since, I'm curious if you still have them arced up.

The later pics seem to show a nice level car, but it's a bit hard to tell from the angles. Mine certainly has a nose up attitude.

I have no idea if that's significant or not or if I'm interpreting that diagram correctly. Are they really supposed to be arced down like the diagram seems to indicate? I can't go check mine, it's still under cover from winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001_8.jpg (59.2 KB, 224 views)
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

FWIW I just measured mine using a level at the center of the hubcap and up to the lip of the rear fender. I get 6 3/4 (slightly less on the drivers side). My car is supposedly 3/4 lower in the front with the Granada spindles.

The rear of the cars seem lower than the front even in factory pics. We could probably get a good idea of the measurements by scaling the pictures.

Eric

Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I would agree that these cars seemed lower in the back in all the old photos I have seen.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

If you want to run your shackles in the original position, but want your car to sit up just a bit more in back, go to Advance Auto and get some leaf spring helpers... the ones that bolt on underneath the leaf assembly. Paint 'em with some Eastwood Underhood black so nobody can see 'em.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Apprentice

Thunderherd is on a distinguished road

Rear shocks-help! I'm in need of shocks for my '59 bird. Like Simplyconnected, I don't like the mushy ride of the classic shocks listed everywhere, so I would like to use the larger diameter SUV shocks he used on his '59 Ford. Any body researched what fits/works with our squarebirds? Front shocks seem easy enough to find, using Monroe Sensa-Trac. But they are not available for the rear. So, what are people using here. Don't really want to use the Monroe Matic, as they seem to be just a 'light duty' shock.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Sagging rear end

I have found the best way to combat the "Sagging Rear End" problem is to stop eating all that junk food and ice cream, and then start an exercise program! But in the case of my '59 Tbird, it has air shocks on the rear.. and that seems to help. And... I cant tell you whose they are now because it is to cold and raining out there for me to get outside and get under the car... Besides, they are probably covered up with road grime and I probably could not see the brand name anyway..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderherd View Post
Rear shocks-help! I'm in need of shocks for my '59 bird. Like Simplyconnected, I don't like the mushy ride of the classic shocks listed everywhere, so I would like to use the larger diameter SUV shocks he used on his '59 Ford. Any body researched what fits/works with our squarebirds? Front shocks seem easy enough to find, using Monroe Sensa-Trac. But they are not available for the rear. So, what are people using here. Don't really want to use the Monroe Matic, as they seem to be just a 'light duty' shock.
I have a number for you: MONROE 37191 OESpectrum Light Truck Rockauto.com - $25.79/ea.

Compressed Bumper Stop: No
Compressed Length: 13.000"
Dust Shield Material: Metal
Extended Bumper Stop: No
Extended Hydraulic Lockout: No
Extended Length: 21.625"
Upper Mounting: Stem Mount - Stem Length X 3/8"-24
Lower Mounting: Stem Mount - Stem Length X 3/8"-24
Parts Pack(s) (2) P1134
Travel Length 8.625"

These shocks are designed for Range Rovers but should work perfectly on your Squarebird. Just make sure your rear shocks have stems on both ends.

Features:
All Weather Fluid: Contains special modifiers to reduce friction and ensure smooth rod reaction.
Full Displaced Valving: Tuned specifically for each application, this valving automatically adjusts to road extremes to provide consistency and ride
Fluon Banded Piston: The fluon band provides consistent sealing between the piston and pressure tube which delivers better control and increased durability.
Twin Technology: Impact Control Valve (ICV), delivers exceptional control under virtually all driving conditions, and patented Low Speed Tunability (LST) piston design that isolates impact-related noise, vibration and harshness.
Nitrogen Gas Charged: For improved ride and handling, helps maintain tire to road contact by reducing aeration.
Special Seal: 'Self-lubricating' fluid seal designed to retain gas without excessive wear or friction.
1-3/8 inch (34.9 mm) bore.
5/8-inch (15.9 mm) diameter piston rod.

Don't forget to use the 5% coupon code that Rockauto offers our members. CLICK HERE It's not a lot but it helps to pare shipping costs.

I hope this helps. You may cross-reference this number to another brand if you prefer.

As a side note: Shock absorbers are not supposed to lift your car, springs do that. Absorbers simply keep your wheels on the road and they smooth out the ride without your car bouncing all over. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Apprentice

Thunderherd is on a distinguished road

Well, I must say 'thank you' to Mr. Simplyconnected. I checked around on the shocks he recommended. Although the specs said the mounts were right, every place I went and checked the pictures showed a different mount. I finally went to Advance Auto. They called Monroe directly and verified the mount was the studs sticking out at each end. I had forgot the price you listed on here for Rock Auto, And paid about $12 more dollars per shock. But I got them, checked them, they looked right. Mounted them, and also got the Monroe's for the front. The old front shocks were VERY stiff. Rears were terrible easy to push in and out. New shocks all the way around now. Test drove it yesterday and it drove and rode just great. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:37 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

You're certainly welcome, Jimmy. After I found a good part number, I tried to save you some money on these premium shocks through Rockauto. They will ship a pair to my front door in Detroit for $56.40 (including the discount and shipping charges). They also come with Monroe's Lifetime Warranty. (Little do they know our cars last fifty years.)

I guess the bottom line is you have them on your Squarebird and you like the ride.

Please tell others if they should get them or not because vendors don't help us much. I guarantee, this topic will come up again and someone will want part numbers.

Here is Monroe's video about these shocks: CLICK HERE

You discovered that all the picture-examples were wrong on every site you visited (including rockauto). They show 'rings' on both ends, not 'stems'. That is precisely why I gave all the specifications for Monroe's part number. Honestly, if I saw a picture that showed a different part, I would 'move on' because there is nothing worse than ordering the wrong part online. Thanks for holding Advance Auto's feet to the fire.

When I cross reference shocks, I really don't pay much attention to brand names. More importantly, I want a part 'in-production' that will fit a modern vehicle about the same weight, and the part must offer 'better than OEM' service. The 'standard' shock selection offered by everyone on the market for our classic cars is sadly sparse at best. Vendors will rarely spend time to dig into the books.

A couple years back I searched for a set of 'heavy duty' rear shocks for our '59 Galaxie (yes, it's a very heavy Fordor) and I ran into the same problem; 'classic ride only and there is no such thing as heavy duty'. Just by chance I found a set from a seller on eBay but they were 'CarQuest' brand (now I'm shootin' dice). After closer inspection, this guy's shop was four miles from me. He bought a warehouse full of old stock. My shock number was discontinued so I paid him a visit. Sure enough, he had exactly what I wanted.

These shocks are much larger, 3-1/2" in diameter, than OEM (stock) but there is plenty of room and they ride beautifully with our new rear springs. I figured, if load-leveler or air shocks fit, so will SUV shocks. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca