This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Experienced

V-John is on a distinguished road

While waiting on parts, I just keep on doing whatever I can. The rear tail light chrome backings were in awful shape. The black was hand-painted and showed brush strokes. I polished the chrome and carefully taped each horizontal rib so it would be shiny top, facing, and below. I started with gloss black, but the paint itself was crap. So, I decided on semi-gloss and primer and it came out swell. It was a full day-into-the night endeavor.

I couldn't help the chrome blemishes being visible

But it looks a heck of a lot better. Someday we'll find some brand new tail light buckets and rings. For now, they'll work just fine

I had to get a car cover because of the darn cats

While waiting for paint to dry I installed the new glovebox liner, and ended up putting in about 10 screws in the center console, kick panels, and dash where they were missing. The interior light didn't work so I checked the bulb. Didn't have one. So I stuck one in and checked the door switch for it. The plunger was missing and the 2 wires were just hanging. So I plugged it in and it still didn't work. Does it need the plunger to make the connection for it to come on?

Last edited by V-John : 04-25-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: added more text
Old 04-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Experienced

I've got some gap/ alignment problems going on in the rear. It seems that the license plate door should be up and more parallel with the bumper. I fooled around with it but it seems that the whole spring-loaded arm needs to get bent in a little more to have it hug the bumper more. I found that I'm missing some rubber bumpers on it as well. I got a gas cap that actually seals the tank since the other one was on its death throes. It looks like it's pushing the door out, but it's not:

And then the trunk lid weather stripping seems to be either too thick or needs to be one with a crease so it would hug the lip around the trunk instead of sitting on top of it. Even adjusting the latch won't get it to push into the weather stripping. Any ideas, other than slicing a groove in it all the way around?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:06 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Now That Is Clean...

Old 05-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Nice work, it's coming along nicely. Oh, and you've got nothing in terms of leaks. Here's mine from when I did my suspension rebuild:

Old 05-05-2013, 12:55 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
Here's mine from when I did my suspension rebuild:
Yeah, I'd say that has a slight leak somewhere!

My daughter was off to the prom tonight in my mom's car. She was thrilled to drive the Porsche. Next year, it WILL be the year of the Thunderbird.

1959 T-Bird -Thunderbird Registry #46052
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukejohnson99/
Old 05-05-2013, 01:12 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

She's a pretty girl. Hope she had a great time at the prom. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-05-2013, 03:17 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
Nice work, it's coming along nicely. Oh, and you've got nothing in terms of leaks. Here's mine from when I did my suspension rebuild:

Did the Torrey Canyon run aground in there somewhere??
Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Experienced

As shown above, my trunk lid doesn't close flush because the weatherseal under it is mostly square and thick.

Is this what is supposed to be installed so the ridge around the trunk sits in the groove?
1959 T-Bird -Thunderbird Registry #46052
My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukejohnson99/
Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

That's basically what it looks like. The ridge doesn't really go into the groove. It just compresses against it. Here's how it should go.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trunkseal.jpg (130.7 KB, 154 views)

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

your dome light wont light up unless the plunger on the door switch pops out and lets the internal contacts touch each other.

When I got my car, there was a piece of an old match stick in one of the door switches (plunger was gone). I removed the match stick, and then the dang dome light wouldnt shut off!