This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Galaxie

Love Robins' Galaxie Dave. On a curious note, when did they start putting the Gun Sights on the non T. Birds & why?

Thank You,

Chris....From OZ.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

1959 was the very first year for Galaxie. Ford put Thunderbird gunsights on because the car had a so-called Thunderbird engine and if you notice, it also has a Thunderbird design flat roof. Here is a typical 1959 Fairlane:

Compare the back of the roof compared to the Galaxie:

The Galaxie backlite is nearly flat and has no wrap-around (just like a Squarebird).

In 1858, Ford ran a campaign about the upcoming 1959 Full size Ford (Galaxie was top of the line trim) marrying a Thunderbird.

Click Here

The badging on this car is terribly confusing but period correct. The trunk says, Fairlane 500. It is NOT a Fairlane or a 500. Ford didn't want to spend money to change the trunk lock (the middle zero rotates to reveal a key slot). The name, Galaxie appears on the quarter panels and there is a small 'Galaxie' rectangle on the glove box. But the glove box also says, 'Fairlane'.

Robin's car is an Indian Torquoise/Colonial White, body style 54A. Indian Torquois was only available on a Galaxie and only in two-tone. The Ford books call it a "Galaxie Town Sedan". Town Sedan means it is a Fordor. 'Town Sedan' never appears anywhere on the car. So for years, folks wrongly called this car a Fairlane 500 Galaxie or a Galaxie Fairlane 500. In 1959 Ford didn't have a Galaxie 500 or an XL. The retractable top and convertible Galaxie's are even MORE confusing in their badging.

You can see why the dealerships insisted on knowing the body style numbers to order correct parts.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 03-19-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Experienced

63-4drpost is on a distinguished road
Default air bags??

just to be clear, there are NO safe cars.
anyhow, I think there is someone making airbags for old cars, I may be nuts(ask my wife of 46 years) but I think I saw them somewhre.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Well, some cars are clearly safer than others. And you can define 'safe' in many ways. Safe in a crash or safe in that you can more easily avoid a crash (superior handling, braking, etc.). I'd say a stock Squarebird is not tops in either.

I seriously doubt add on air bags exist. They are part of a system of sensors and the PCM that decide when to deploy that would be design in conjunction with the safety structure of the specific vehicle making it very hard if not impossible to retrofit. Not to mention the liability if it is not properly installed and it failed to go off when needed or went off when not needed.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgs View Post
...They are part of a system of sensors and the PCM that decide when to deploy that would be design in conjunction with the safety structure of the specific vehicle making it very hard if not impossible to retrofit...
Actually Doug, the air bags have their own battery on the back side of the dash, just in case. They purposely do not use the PCM, but they have crash sensors (pendulum switches) that set off the bag(s).

Modern transmissions are shifted by the PCM. In a crash situation, the PCM is too slow. It's so slow, for many years Ford would not put an automatic trans in a modern factory Cobra. The alternative was to retrofit an old AOD or C6; automatics that are non-electrical.

I agree about classic cars being unsafe BUT, I'd still rather be in our Galaxie if it tangled with a Smart Car. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Super-Experienced

Interesting info.

I think I'd take the the Smart ForTwo in a crash. It's a well engineered car for crash safety, given its size. It's not good for much else, however.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:04 AM
Slow Typist

Doug, my cousin has a Smart Car. The engine is a 3-cylinder automatic. When he got the car new, it was a total DOG! Then they sent him a notice to bring it in for a 'transmission software upgrade'.

The difference was amazing. This little car has lots of power for two grown men boppin' around, doing errands around town. I didn't drive but for a big guy like myself, it is quite roomy inside. I was impressed, but I'd never buy one.

Cousin John bought this as another toy. He has a '57 Bel Air, '65 Mustang convertible, and two Amphicars (in addition to his daily drivers). He's retired, married twice but single, and never had children. Strange, how life turns out.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Super-Experienced

I like the idea of the Smart - small, cheap, fuel efficient commuter. Unfortunately, they're not that cheap (about the same price as a roomy 5 passenger Honda Fit) and not as fuel efficient as you'd hope based on what you give up. Top that off they drive poorly with a transmission that's notorious for being horrible, as your cousin found out.

So if I'm not saving money and not saving much gas and it drives poorly, why bother?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:55 PM

352tb430 is on a distinguished road
Default Converting from manual to automatic transmission

(my apologies in advance for sounding like an know-it-all old fogey): I don't want to rain on any parades (yours or your daughter's), but this is a BAD IDEA for multiple reasons. While I think it is touching that the younger generation likes our old cars (we need new blood in the hobby), a teen's first car should NOT be a squarebird (nor any 50+ year old car). My first car was an 8 year old squarebird and I drove sqbirds for daily drivers for 14 years. But that was many decades ago (since then, my sqbirds have been retired as hobby cars), and there is no way I would recommend one as a daily driver for anyone (not to mention a teenager) unless you live in a small sunbelt town and didn't have to drive in today's urban/suburban traffic. The driving characteristics of old cars like a sqbird (slow steering, marginal brakes, sloppy handling, etc.) are so different (worse) vs. modern cars. Modern cars are boring (generic, look-a-like fat-*** wedges, 4 door aero-blob appliances), but they are much safer, handle much better, and get much better gas mileage. About any newer car (less than 20 years old) would preferable for a teen's first car. Being in the big city snowbelt, front wheel drive and anti-lock brakes would be a good thing, and you won't find those in a vintage car. If your daughter is really into Thunderbirds (for now anyway--teens are fickle, I've heard, and tend to switch interests quickly), you could probably find a decent '94-97 TB for $3k or so, which would a fraction of what you would spend on restoring a sqbird (and/or spending many $ to upgrade to disc brakes & other modernizations). Then years down the road after you restore your sqbird, it could still be "hers" for Sunday afternoon drives when she is older & wiser & an experienced driver (assuming she is still interested), but not as a daily driver.

On anther note, while I am not a numbers-matching fanatic (it's your car/$, so do what you want), I suggest NOT converting your rare stick-o/d car to an automatic. If you really want an automatic, buy one or find someone to trade cars with (& keep the stick as-is for yourself or someone else). All the hassles, time, and $ of converting would be avoided and you could spend that time/$ restoring an automatic car. Also a low compression, carbureted truck 390 & C6 in a high altitude area sounds like a recipe for abysmal gas mileage (& probably a dog too), whether or not you change the rear from the 3.70 gears to a 3.10.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Experienced

djberson is on a distinguished road

My first car was actually a 1974 Chrysler New Yorker. At the time it was 19 years old which at the time was already a very retro unique car, and I have driven similar vintage vehicles since (my primary vehicle is a '75 Cougar now). I did have one car built in the 2000's, but after it was rear-ended and totalled I went back to a vintage car. That being said, 70's cars have many modern amenities and handling characteristics, not to mention safety features such as seat belts and impact beams that earlier decades do not. My Cougar has A/C, cruise control, and easy parts availability. And when I got rear ended recently by a Chevy Suburban, the car did a very good job protecting me and my passengers. So what am I getting at? I have to agree with the previous post that a Squarebird would be a great secondary or hobby car and I would recommend something slightly newer, safer and servicable but still funky and cool that they made a lot of like a '77-79 model, a Maverick / Comet or 1971 and newer model year GM, such as a Cutlass.