This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

sunnybob - sounds like you have the right belt configuration now but possibly the wrong clutch on the compressor. If you can post a pic of your clutch I'm sure one of the guys can tell you if it is the right one. Carl Heller (partsetal) would probably have a good used one if the one you have is not correct. Sounds like you are closer to getting yours completed than I am !!!

Carl - sharp eyes - yes - my A/C mounting bracket is a Mapco aftermarket from the '60's. I'll have to shim the compressor to adjust the belt tension or may be able to use the belt tensioner that came with the bracket. Looks like the tensioner might make the belt interfere with the overflow tank though - just my luck.

Eric
Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Apprentice

sunnybob is on a distinguished road

You can see the compressor I bought here http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Ford-Th...p2047675.l2557

I suppose to have the original bracket and I have a wide adjustment in side by side direction (need it for belt regolation) but the adjusment in front/rear is near to nothing... and I already use that nothing
Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

I should have added to my post that the bracket might be shimmed to the block to get that needed adjustment in addition to the slotted holes. The clutch looks correct for the '60.
Sunnybob-do you use a straightedge laid across the pulleys to determine alinement, this gives a better result that the 'calibrated eyeball'. Can you provide a picture of the water pump pulley? This was different on the '60 than the one used in 58-9.
Carl
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

About the only other thing I can think of is if the water pump was changed at the same time you were doing the air conditioning addition maybe you got a water pump shaft that is too short?

For example the 352 truck water pump has a different length shaft than the 352 passenger car (longer I think). If its the same water pump that was on there when you started then sounds like you will have to do the shimming of the A/C bracket as Carl suggests.

My aftermarket Mapco bracket did come with a few shims that I had to move around and find the right location to make it all line up. It had a few longer bolts too for those positions that used the shims. The shims fit between the bracket, the block and the water pump.

Here is my water pump pulley that I believe is correct for the 1960 352 engine - is this what you have? I believe the earlier cars had only a 2 groove pulley on the water pump.

Carl is that correct?

Original water pump pulley on the left , A/C 3 groove on the right

Another view.

Something else I ran into was that the original fan spacer did not fit the A/C pulley. Not only was it too long but the hole was too small. I found a replacement spacer at Summit Racing - Flex-a-lite 876. This view shows a spacer that I tried off a later model Lincoln - had the right size hole for the A/C pulley but it was too long.

Eric
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

The pulley shown is correct for the 1960 352. I wasn't aware that it needed a different spacer, but it is obvious when you look at this pulley.
Carl
Old 02-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Apprentice

sunnybob is on a distinguished road

Probably Carl suggestion about the bracket might be shimmed to the block is the right idea for my problem. I enclose a pic.....