This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Apprentice

kenneybert is on a distinguished road
Default steering swap(standard to power)

hello ,,Its me again,,I have 2 -1959 thunderbirds one better than the other ,, my good tbird has standard steering and my parts car Ill call it ,,has power steering ,, does anyone have pictures or step by step instructions or anything I need to know before I try this ..the part thats got me scared is the gear box ..how hard is it to change that.....or should I just tear into it and do it? is there anything I should mark etc.? thanks for any info...
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what you mean by the gear box. The actual steering gear and pittman arm is the same whether it's got manual or power steering. It's just a matter of following the directions in the shop manual for assembling and disassembling the various parts. I don't believe there's a step by step guide to do it. As long as the P/S pump, control valve and ram are in good condition and don't leak it shouldn't be that difficult. Sounds like you should have all the parts you need.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Apprentice

ok you pretty much answered my question .I was told i had to change the steering gear and pittman arm .. so great i dont gotta mess with that ..yea I think i can do it ..thanks like i said before this is my winter project so ill be back with more questions..still got to change that detent plate which im not looking forward to..
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneybert View Post
ok you pretty much answered my question .I was told i had to change the steering gear and pittman arm .. so great i dont gotta mess with that ..yea I think i can do it ..thanks like i said before this is my winter project so ill be back with more questions..still got to change that detent plate which im not looking forward to..
well everything was going smooth ,,took the non-power steering off my tbird ,,,took the power steering stuff off my parts car ..so I left the pitman arm on and popped the joint off using a tie rod seperator tool .. popped right off the non power steering parts car smooth ,, not so much on the power steering car,, put the tie rod seperator in place tapped it a couple taps and the ball pulled out of the link.. now what ,, i have no idea how to get that ball back into that link ,, not sure im very clear on this cause i dont know what some of the parts are called ,, but this is on the power steering part that bolts to the pitman arm ,, ball in socket popped right out ,, how do i get that back into the link ,,? help help help
Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Your Shop Manual goes through the procedure in the Steering Gear and Linkage section.

Illustration G1045A shows an exploded view and the description for removal and assembly is covered under: SECTOR SHAFT ARM BALL AND SEAT REPLACEMENT. My 1960 Manual shows it under 9-6 (4). It should be the same for the '58 Manual.

I don't know if using a pickle fork was a wise choice for this because these parts are spring loaded and they come apart very easily if you follow the manual. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 PM

Are you saying the ball came out of the control valve. When they get worn they have a lot of play in them and I guess it's possible for it to come out. I recommend rebuilding it. The kit comes with a new ball stud as well as new seals. You never want to use a pickle fork on the control valve. You want to use a tie rod puller. That way you are pushing on the stud instead of pulling on it. I hope you didn't crack or distort the housing. It may not be salvageable.

John

Last edited by jopizz : 11-28-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Are you saying the ball came out of the control valve. When they get worn they have a lot of play in them and I guess it's possible for it to come out. I recommend rebuilding it. The kit comes with a new ball stud as well as new seals. You never want to use a pickle fork on the control valve. You want to use a tie rod puller. That way you are pushing on the stud instead of pulling on it. I hope you didn't crack or distort the housing. It may not be salvageable.

John
everything seems to be ok ,, yes i popped the ball right out ,, I had no idea it would do that ,,i was thinking a fork or ball joint tool would work ...i guessed wrong ... well im about 2 minutes away from going back to standard steering ..this turned out more than i can handle and ive spent so much lately on this car i cant go anymore .. probably been cheaper to buy one already fixed up.....yea standard steering cant be all that bad ...(
Old 11-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Your Shop Manual goes through the procedure in the Steering Gear and Linkage section.

Illustration G1045A shows an exploded view and the description for removal and assembly is covered under: SECTOR SHAFT ARM BALL AND SEAT REPLACEMENT. My 1960 Manual shows it under 9-6 (4). It should be the same for the '58 Manual.

I don't know if using a pickle fork was a wise choice for this because these parts are spring loaded and they come apart very easily if you follow the manual. - Dave

I dont have a shop manual
Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default steering swap(standard to power)

Kenneth, any of our Tbird parts houses listed in the Advertisements Forums have shop manuals for your Tbird. You really need one to work on your Tbird with. It will help you with a lot of your problems.. They also have wiring manuals, (though we have the wiring diagrams in the TRL) and many others. Check them out.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 PM

If you were thinking of trying to save money by just changing over the parts you were asking for trouble. To do it correctly you really need to rebuild the power steering pump, control valve, ram cylinder and replace the idler arm bushings at the least. That and replacing all the hoses is a must. If not I guarantee it will leak from somewhere. The changeover is doable but only when the components are new or rebuilt. This is a job you only want to do once.

John