This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road
Default "Radiator Side Seals" question

( These would be the rubber pieces that run along both sides of the radiator on the squarebird.)

I ordered some from Birds Nest because mine are very dry and brittle. When they arrived, they were 13" long, but the originals on my car are 14 3/4" in length.

I sent an email to Birds Nest, and they said that nobody else has mentioned this oddity, so I am posting it here to see what other owners might have on their cars..... 13" or 14 3/4" ?

If we find that 14 3/4" is the correct size, I will reply back to the company with our findings.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

I've been aware of this for some time now, and have reverted to cleaning up the old ones. Somewhere someone cuts these from a long roll and I'm sure if they could be located, there would be two lengths.
Carl
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Just measured mine - as far as I know they should be the original ones on the car my Dad bought new.

Both are 13 inches (and a bit dried out but still fine).

The parts book (I never can follow it) shows it should be p/n 8349 but the only Tbird listing (S) is for a 64. Funny - some other Ford car radiator seals are listed as "R.H. - tire carcass"

Eric

(you can just see the top edge of the one on the drivers side in this old pic from when I was adding A/C)

Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I'm going to suggest they cut these at 15" length and just charge an extra dollar or two.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Some years ago I was in a Home Depot garden section and I happened upon some rolled Pond Liner. This stuff looks identical to inner tube material but it comes in 12-ft widths (you buy as many feet as you need).

This stuff is perfect for, and it is what I used on my electric fan, mounted on the FRONT of the rad. (Yeah Ray, it's the one you sent me from your bone yard.) The electric fan has a plastic shroud so I screwed rubber strips to the inside lip, all the way around using short trim screws. It works nicely with no leaks.

You guys with shrouds behind the rad can screw it to the outside of the shroud as air draws into the fan.

I cut my strips wide enough so that the rubber edge cannot vibrate on the cores. Instead, the rubber sits flat on the rad.

These Ford fans are two speed and reversible. I always use relays on my electric fan motors and I fuse them. To make them reverse, simply power the ground wire with +12, and use relay contacts between the Hi and Lo wires and ground.

Why reverse? Because I didn't have enough room between the rad and water pump. So, I pulled the rad back towards the pump ~1-1/2" with spacers and mounted the fan in front. Now the fan motor pushes cool air which is much more dense and the electric motor never gets warm. This was a good modification. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

EPDM rubber (ethylene propylene diene monomer (M-class) rubber)?
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436