This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road
Default electric fan that fits these cars' radiators:

late 90's Ford Contour w/ V6 engine. 24" x 16" x 3.5".
New; from ebay for 100 bucks total; shipped to my front door.
Fan controller will be mounted in the rectangular hole at the bottom left corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1272.jpg (533.4 KB, 203 views)
Old 11-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Hey all you race car restorers and drivers... Wanna cash in on hidden horsepower? Simply install a Wide Open Throttle switch and relay.

When energized (w/the gas pedal floored), it cuts out the electric fan, A/C compressor, alternator, etc. Instant HP is delivered to the wheels.

The idea behind using an electric fan is to save gas. It never made sense to power a mechanical fan while the engine is cold. Today, modern cars use a WOT switch to get you off the rail road tracks, faster. Using it with a big V8 makes your engine feel more powerful.

As soon as you get your foot off the floorboard, everything returns to normal. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Super-Experienced

A buddy of mine has a '61 Impala with a pretty stout sbc stroker (cant remember the displacement). He was running 13.2's all day. Then suddenly, he went 12.8.

Why? The ONLY thing that changed was that his fan belt had snapped while heating up his slicks. He didnt know it until he got to the other end and the engine was getting too hot.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

A neighbor of mine used to drag race in the 60's - 70's and has mentioned one of his "tricks" was to cut the fan belt. The goal was to do exactly what your friend did - hope it lasts through warm up and breaks during the run - no electric pumps or fans back then. At risk was disqualification if it broke and dropped out during warm up but not a problem if that happened down the track.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Super-Experienced

Default electric fan installed:

Late 90's Ford Contour dual fan w/ shroud.

I had to remove a bit of the shroud near the water pump pulley. It's a tight fit, due to the 460 engine wedged in there.

This electric fan fits the OEM radiator perfectly. I'm also using a Flex-a-Lite 31163 electronic fan controller. It's a bit more expensive than a cheap on/off fan controller, but it's very easy to hook up (especially when you are electrically-challenged).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan.jpg (434.6 KB, 159 views)
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Experienced

NYsquarebird58 is on a distinguished road

LOVE IT!

On my "to do" list for 2013!!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Slow Typist

How is this fan mounted??? I don't see bolts around the edges. And, what alternator are you using (how many amps output)?

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Super-Experienced

keith is on a distinguished road

Clean looking installation.

CLICK HERE for Keith's web site
Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Super-Experienced

There are brackets hidden underneath to support the weight of the fan. Also, the top of the fan has a pretty stout "tab" (shown in the photo) that hooks onto the top of the radiator frame. Then I used those long plastic threaded doo-dads through the fins to snug the shroud up against the radiator.

The wires coming from the fan controller were covered with black 3/8" wire loom after I took the photo.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
...Then I used those long plastic threaded doo-dads through the fins to snug the shroud up against the radiator.
That scares me. I learned my lesson from electric fans; never subject the cores to any part of a vibrating fan. Instead, build a reinforcement 'frame' on the plastic housing and bolt it to your horse-collar (radiator support). You can see the speed nuts left over from where your fan was mounted on a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
The wires coming from the fan controller were covered with black 3/8" wire loom after I took the photo.
That's a good thing. Make sure you fuse the power wires for both motors. If you don't, the wires and relay contacts become the fuses.

--Lee Iacocca