This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Dave makes some great points. Remember, car companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars developing brake systems to fit a particular car. To think that anyone can put a bunch of mismatched parts together and get the same kind of performance is unrealistic.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-23-2012, 05:40 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post

Dave makes some great points. Remember, car companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars developing brake systems to fit a particular car. To think that anyone can put a bunch of mismatched parts together and get the same kind of performance is unrealistic.

John
Exactly and well said. It is one thing to put your life at risk with experimental brakes but quite another to put the public's life at risk.

I have read the TECH SECTIONS of many of these kit vendors and all are not of the same song and dance. There is not enough theory offered and some just plainly state facts incorrectly or just glaze over it.

I wonder when and if someone is injured/killed by one of these one-fits-all kits, if the civil liabilities will come to bear? You are taking on one heck of a liability when you either work on a car (yours or anothers') or make modifications.

As for the changeover and the results, it either works or it does not. If it does not, one needs to go back to the drawing board.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Super-Experienced

davidmij is on a distinguished road

Lexdownunder, If you click on the ABS power brake link that Simplyconnected supplied it shows the disc/disc kit. At the bottom they have the disc/drum. Click here - this is it and it's the one I bought.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-60-Thun...70556931908%26
It's a good product but pricey, if only they would just sell the bracket. However I don't know what the M/C is for\from and it doesn't have any part numbers. The master cylinder measures 5 3/4" long by 2 3/4" wide. I need a a new cap gasket for it because the one it came with is not cut very well and leaks if I don't center it just right. Can anyone tell me if theirs measures the same as mine and what car it was for? That way I can have autozone order me one. I'm guessing it's a 67-73 mustang?

appreciate it, Dave Jones.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Birdy

lexdownunder is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys
I'm getting the parts together ready for the disc brake conversion. The Scarebird bracket for (GM) S-10 caliper is on it's way as is the booster/MC disc/drum type.
The mustang 11" rotors are organised.

I don't fully understand this next bit, but apparently there is more than one type of S-10 caliper.

What I need to know is if anyone has part numbers for the (GM) S-10 calipers to suit 1968 Mustang 11" rotors & a supplier please??

Thanks to everyone for your help & info.
Lex
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Lex, the truth is either caliper will work equally as well. At the time I did mine, the 4WD version was recommended so that's what I used. Since then, the two wheel drive version is recommended. The difference? One has the banjo bolt on the back and the other has it on the end. They're both the same piston size and they use the same pads.

Make sure you get hoses long enough. Scarebird should have a good part number for you. If not, get back with us. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Super-Experienced

Lex, I should still have the spread sheet of all the parts and prices from the various auto stores, but it's at home. I'll try to post it or send it to you tonight. Rockauto (online) was the cheapest overall.

Dave J
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdownunder View Post
...What I need to know is if anyone has part numbers for the (GM) S-10 calipers to suit 1968 Mustang 11" rotors & a supplier please??.
Calipers mount on Scarebird brackets. Mustang rotors fit your original spindles. They work together but were never sold that way.

GM used this type of caliper on just about every car at one time from 1978-2002. Look for 1985 Chevrolet S-10 or GMC Jimmy S-15 calipers. They come three ways: Loaded, Semi-loaded, or bare.

If you buy bare calipers you will need to buy a hardware kit which includes all the rubbers and pins.

If you buy semi-loaded, you will need to buy just pads.

Loaded, means they are ready to install.

The beauty in this is, there are a host of different pads to suit your needs from very soft to ceramic. They are available everywhere. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Super-Experienced

Lex, I sent you a personal message with my e-address. If you want that parts list just reply to it and I'll attach it.

Dave J
Old 12-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Birdy

Thank you to everyone for all the info & advice & to Dave for sending me the spreadsheet of parts required.
I now have ordered all the parts for the conversion....some local in Perth & some ex U.S.A.
I am leaving for three months break tomorrow to Tasmania so the conversion probably won't happen until end of Feb/early March next year.
I will post the progress on the forum.

Thank you all once again & I'll take this opportunity to wish you all & your loved ones a very Merry Christmas & a Safe & Happy New Year.
God Bless.

Lex & Susan
Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 AM
Birdy

Default Disc Brake Conversion

Hi Guys
I've been in Tasmania since early December last year & returned to Western Australia very briefly two weeks ago. As my '59 is still in Perth, I was able to make a start on the conversion.
I went down the path of Scarebird GXY bracket, GM-S10 calipers (loaded), '68 Mustang 11" rotors & ABS 8" booster & dual res M/C.

It's been easy to date. By using the scarebird bracket & Mustang rotors, I retained the OEM spindles & bearings. An easy bolt on conversion. The M/C & booster will have to wait a while as my mechanic is out of action for a while with a stint in hospital. I am now back in Tasmania but he will continue with the conversion in the next few weeks.

With the wheel rims, I had OEM 14" rims which are not suitable for disc brakes. I was lucky & found suitable rims at a local tyre fitting shop. Unfortunately I have no idea what vehicle they were off as they were only marked as Ford 14".
When we tried the rims after the conversion, they just (& I mean only just) touched the top of the caliper. So minute that it barely marked the inside of the rim. Easy solution was a very small grind to the caliper. Rims fit perfect now & I've had the existing tyres fitted to the new rims.

That's it for now Guys.
More updates when the M/C is fitted.

Cheers
Lex