This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure where this misconception came about that all Granada parts are interchangeable. Yes the spindles will fit with some modification and the rotors will work but so will Mustang, Lincoln and others. Most people who have done the conversion use GM calipers. The booster was never a direct fit. You also have a problem with the push rod on your brake pedal not being compatible with an under hood booster. I know you want disc brakes but it's certainly not a one-day job. I have the under dash booster on my '59 which is basically like manual brakes. After replacing all the brake components on my car including the drums with stock items I am pleasantly surprised with how good my brakes are. I originally thought about disc brakes but don't see the need for them now.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Apprentice

kenneybert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
I'm not sure where this misconception came about that all Granada parts are interchangeable. Yes the spindles will fit with some modification and the rotors will work but so will Mustang, Lincoln and others. Most people who have done the conversion use GM calipers. The booster was never a direct fit. You also have a problem with the push rod on your brake pedal not being compatible with an under hood booster. I know you want disc brakes but it's certainly not a one-day job. I have the under dash booster on my '59 which is basically like manual brakes. After replacing all the brake components on my car including the drums with stock items I am pleasantly surprised with how good my brakes are. I originally thought about disc brakes but don't see the need for them now.

John

being ive already went so far on it ..could i just use the stock master cyl and forget about a booster ,,still have disc brakes just not power ..?????or would that even make sense,, i have the granada spindles already on and bought all the hardware everything except a booster ,
Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Here is a quick source- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-13936

I hope Dave's PM is regarding fabbing a mounting bracket for the GRANADA booster...

ok i called summit racing ,,they have the banjo bolt 7/16-24 but instead of it being one inch long he says its 1 -1/8 " long ...will that work ????
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM
KULTULZ

Question

I don't know. Will the longer bolt bottom out before it seals? SUMMIT should offer a full selection.

Did the kit vendor recommend a banjo fitting or is this something that you have designed?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:20 PM

You can't run disc brakes with just a master cylinder and no booster. Disc brakes need a lot more pressure to work correctly than drum brakes. Plus you need a dual master cylinder and prop valve to equalize the pressure.

John

Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You can't run disc brakes with just a master cylinder and no booster. Disc brakes need a lot more pressure to work correctly than drum brakes. Plus you need a dual master cylinder and prop valve to equalize the pressure.
Weren't some Mustangs and Granadas originally available with non-power disk brakes??

I have non-power disks on my 57 and NO proportioning valve as the master is sized for the front disks and rear cylinders. System works great, and yes the pedal effort is higher than if it had a booster.

Don't want to start anything, just sayin'...................

Did a bit of Googling just to confirm my fading memory from driving these cars back in the day.

Mustangs had non power disc brakes available until 1971.
65-66 was only available as non power disc.
At least 74 Mavericks also had non power discs.

Last edited by Joe Johnston : 11-05-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Research
Old 11-05-2012, 04:19 PM

I've never heard of non-power disc brakes and I've been around a pretty long time. I don't believe manufacturers would put boosters in if they could do it without them. It's interesting that you can run discs without a booster. Of course the weight of the car has a lot to do with it. I've thought about trying it but smarter people than me have said it's not possible.

John

Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I don't know. Will the longer bolt bottom out before it seals? SUMMIT should offer a full selection.

Did the kit vendor recommend a banjo fitting or is this something that you have designed?
Parts List for conversion:

two 1975 to 1980 Ford Grenada spindles
two 1975 to 1980 Ford Grenada backing plates
two 1975 to 1980 Ford Grenada wheel bearings
two 1975 to 1980 Ford Grenada calipers Wagner part 890 and 891
two 1975 to 1980 Ford Grenada rotors Wagner part 522
one 1975 to 1980 Ford Grenada proportioning valve
one 1975 to 1980 Ford Grenada master cylinder
two Banjo Bolts 7/16 inch - 24 thread, one-inch long
four copper washers 7/16 inch
two brake hoses NAPA part 36959
two anti-rattle clips NAPA part 82304
two sets disc brake pads Wagner part PD91 PD7027R....

this is on the main page of this website ..its not something i made up .. the banjo bolt says 7/16-24..one inch long .. summit racing says all they have is one and one eighth inch long bolt..
Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 PM

That conversion was done quite a few years ago if I remember. Rick Nolen fails to mention anything in the instructions about what booster he is using. I can only guess that he used the original under hood booster that came on his squarebird. Those instructions are rather incomplete to say the least. Most of the people who have done the conversion lately use the scarebird brackets so they can use their stock spindles rather than mess with the Granada spindles.

John

Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

John is right.
Besides that, there is something really wrong with your Granada part numbers:
Wagner 890 & 891 are LIGHT BULBS!
Granada brake hoses come with threads, not banjo bolts. Check out Rock Auto's offerings:
I'm using Granada calipers on my '55 and they do not have banjo bolts, but they require copper washers to seal the joint.

S-10 calipers DO use banjo bolts (those are on our '59).

Whether you use Granada or (GM) S-10, your booster needs to be large enough for DISK brakes. OEM boosters back in 1960 were ok for shoe brakes but the braking system was sub-par for today's stopping distances. OEM boosters were 8" diameter. You need a two-stage 8" for disk brakes. The diameter stays the same but it extends farther. The difference in boost is double because disk brakes require much more pressure.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca