This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Apprentice

kenneybert is on a distinguished road
Default disc brake conversion

Im converting my 1959 thunderbird brakes from manual to disc ,, I have a 1977 ford grenada Im using for parts.. heres what I know .I got to drill out the lower ball joint hole in the spindle .I have all the parts off the grenada and ready to go .. heres what I dont know ,,will the vacume booster and M/C work from the grenada..If so what do I do ? just drill the 4 holes and mount it to the firewall or do I got to make a bracket of some sort ?has anyone used the grenada vacume booster and made this swap before ? any advise would be great ..
Old 11-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The booster will be too low. You will have to fabricate some sort of a bracket to raise it. This has been covered in past threads if you do a search.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
The booster will be too low. You will have to fabricate some sort of a bracket to raise it. This has been covered in past threads if you do a search.

John
yep Im not very computer savvy but i did see a bunch of pictures and info on mounting the booster and master cyl one time but i cant find it now .....just wondering if i have to make a bracket or if theres one available somewhere .....
Old 11-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I don't know of anyone that has tried a Granada booster. Most of the members that have done the disc conversion have used the replacement booster/master cylinder combo that a number of vendors carry for squarebirds. Does your '59 have an under hood booster or the Kelsey Hayes one under the dash. If you have the under dash booster you will have a problem with the pedal linkage. You will have to use a hockey stick type of linkage to replace the original one. Check out Ray Clark's (yellowrose) thread about his '59 conversion.
http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/sho...ht=disc&page=4

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
I don't know of anyone that has tried a Granada booster. Most of the members that have done the disc conversion have used the replacement booster/master cylinder combo that a number of vendors carry for squarebirds. Does your '59 have an under hood booster or the Kelsey Hayes one under the dash. If you have the under dash booster you will have a problem with the pedal linkage. You will have to use a hockey stick type of linkage to replace the original one. Check out Ray Clark's (yellowrose) thread about his '59 conversion.
http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/sho...ht=disc&page=4

It dont have either ,,it has manual brakes and im trying to do a conversion to put power disc brakes ,,the granada stuff is suppose to interchange but heck ive check every part store in my area and they none have heard of the banjo bolts i need which is 7/16-24-1"..... maybe Ill change everything back to manual brakes ,,thinking maybe this was a bad idea,, sure is putting me on the edge ,,...
Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM
KULTULZ

Look for banjo bolts on the DISC BRAKE KIT VENDORS websites. Unless it is cataloged by direct application and is on a disc, you are hard put to find certain parts.

Is there a speed shop in your area?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Look for banjo bolts on the DISC BRAKE KIT VENDORS websites. Unless it is cataloged by direct application and is on a disc, you are hard put to find certain parts.

Is there a speed shop in your area?
there is a speed shop about 50 miles from me ,, ill call tomorrow and see what they have ..maybe they can hook me up with some kind of bracket to mount the booster on the firewall ..or at least some ideas ... ill figure it out if it takes every dime my wife has..(.....thanks for your help
Old 11-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Kenneth, I sent you a Private Message. Did you read it?

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 AM
KULTULZ

Here is a quick source- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-13936

I hope Dave's PM is regarding fabbing a mounting bracket for the GRANADA booster...
Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Here is a quick source- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-13936

I hope Dave's PM is regarding fabbing a mounting bracket for the GRANADA booster...

I called these guys yesterday but it must of been close to closing time he said he couldnt find 7/16-24---1" long .. he told me to call back today which Im getting ready to do.. thanks again for all your help ,,im really in the dark on this project ...if all else fails I can have all my old parts put back on ,,just a little hard to mash on the brake pedal with my game leg and thought the power disc brakes would be a lot better .. but i can do it with manual brakes if I have to.. ..