This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Pinball Larry

lnoska is on a distinguished road
Default Auto Transport

I have just commeted to a 1960 Thunderbird. But it is in Madison WI. And I live in Post Falls,ID. I need to find someone to transport the car to me. Can any body help with this? I have never had a car shiped befor. And what should I look out for in buying a car from some one I don't know.

Larry (newbie)
Old 09-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Congratulations, Larry. I noticed you have asked this question several times. Go to the seller in person and look over the car before handing over the cash. Sometimes you need to stand on your head and look underneath at the rocker panels and sub-frames. Look for all the same things you would look for when buying ANY used car. Generally go around the car and try everything. Drive the car. This is the LAST time you can voice your concerns because once you buy it, it's YOURS! Make sure it has a clear title and the vin numbers match.

Fifty year-old cars have rust. Figure how much it will cost you to restore this car's steel, rebuild the mechanics, paint, electrical, etc. If the asking price is low enough, you can strike a good deal. If rust is extensive and you cannot fabricate, these cars can cost a fortune to bring back.

There are several transport companies you can hire. Do a Google search and pick one. Another suggestion is to ask your local dealerships who they use. Prices vary due to the type of truck used (covered or not) and mileage. Good luck. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

uncovered transport usually costs about $1 per mile.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You can try listing it on UShip and see what kind of prices you get. You may get lucky and find a carrier who's going that way and has an open spot. Unless the car has been inside all it's life expect plenty of rust if it's from Wisconsin. I've bought cars from there and it hasn't been pretty.

John
Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Auto Transport

Many of the questions that are asked on this Forum have been answered many, many times over and those answers and information are often found in the Technical Resource Library (TRL) on this Forum. Over the years, our membership has provided us with a wealth of information on most every subject you can think of when it comes to repairing or restoring these old Birds of ours. If you would take the time to check out the TRL, you would find the answers to the questions regarding auto shipping companies, and a very thorough check list developed by our membership to be used when you are inspecting a Tbird for possible purchase. I would suggest that ya'll get in the habit of checking out our TRL. The link to it is always a part of my signature element. The information regarding the Vehicle Check List and Auto Shipping Companies, are the last two entries in the TRL. Go there to find your information, please....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road

I live in Sun Prairie and can go check the car for you. Have you ever owned a squarebird?? I do it gratus. Reply directly as I do frequent this list.

Let me know as I will not be back in MSN until friday or Sat. I leave for 2 weeks on Sun AM for Mouse World.

Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
tmjsong1@aol.com
Old 09-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Auto Transport

Larry, this is your lucky day! "Fuz" just made you an offer that you can't turn down! He is one of the world's premier experts on these old Tbirds of ours. He is one of the members of this Forum who wrote the VTCI Official Factory Specifications (OFS), along with Alan Tast, and others, for these Tbirds. You could not ask for anyone better to check out a Tbird for you than either one of them! You had better jump on this quickly before he gets away from you!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 09-25-2012 at 03:09 AM.