This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

WOW!!

This started out as a possible blown transmission (orsomething similar) & then turned into a small problem. Now it's just a cheep fix- It just keeps getting better & better Anders.

Maybe check under your Bird's floor mat for a $100 bill (or whatever you guys use over there). LOL!!

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:09 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird430 View Post
WOW!!

This started out as a possible blown transmission (orsomething similar) & then turned into a small problem. Now it's just a cheep fix- It just keeps getting better & better Anders.

Maybe check under your Bird's floor mat for a $100 bill (or whatever you guys use over there). LOL!!

-Jon in TX.
Found a quarter there once. Thatīs my lucky coin and itīs stored in the ash tray
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 08-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road

you very lucky Swedish man, ha ha, and surprise because of the quality of the engine, car and engineering, no other problems. if a loose bolt in a modern car came loose and stopped a pulley or so, the damage would have been possibly much greater.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
Old 09-13-2012, 02:03 PM

Just to finishing this issue ( and thread ) I have drilled out the center of the pully as there was quite a play, and put in a new piece to center it up nicely. Everything works great now again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2034_2.jpg (590.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

I was a professional mechanic in the 60's, and a backyard mechanic ever since. So I find it hard to understand how the power steering pump which has its own source of fluid can have any effect on the automatic transmission.
Can someone explain this one to me?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyercalif View Post
I was a professional mechanic in the 60's, and a backyard mechanic ever since. So I find it hard to understand how the power steering pump which has its own source of fluid can have any effect on the automatic transmission.
It's probably along the lines of how when the mean lady at the wife's job treats the wife poorly during the day, your evening of fun goes down the toliet.....
Old 09-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Tryed to explain it in post #6 & 10
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Experienced

lawyercalif is on a distinguished road

I understand that you feel that it "acted as a brake for the engine" however if that were the case how could the engine run, or if running if it was stuck that hard the belt should have burnt up. Not doubting, just curious.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:07 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

At least something to be happy about. But to be honest, Itīs fun to wrench also I learn something all the time
Hey! We all learn something here everyday due to contributions such as yours...
Old 09-15-2012, 07:17 AM
KULTULZ

Question

Quote:

I understand that you feel that it "acted as a brake for the engine" however if that were the case how could the engine run, or if running if it was stuck that hard the belt should have burnt up. Not doubting, just curious.
Let me try.

He said the PS was dragging, later to find a mounting bolt had loosened wedging itself against the drive pulley. He did say smoke was present so that means the drive belt is toast.

I would imagine that with that engine load, vacuum readings would have gone asunder causing the modulator valve to receive a false signal, hence the erratic operation?