This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Experienced

yellow98cobra is on a distinguished road
Default accelerator not backing down

This problem started just before I replaced the tank. I had ran it out of Gas and then I pumped the pedal hard several times trying to start it. After getting more gas and getting it to start it has had this problem. I know the carb needs rebuilt and the springs are old. But i am not sure if it is missing a spring that pushes the pedal back up. It only does this when it is in gear once I step on the pedal to go it will not back down if I have my passemger pull the rod back (pedal) up at the light it will calm down. My gas pedal will need replacing as the socket for the rod is falling apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (49.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (36.4 KB, 63 views)
There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 PM

ThunderBaker is on a distinguished road
Default Accelerator not backing down.

There is an excellent throttle set-up on page 6-10 in the shop manual.Hope this helps!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBaker View Post
There is an excellent throttle set-up on page 6-10 in the shop manual.Hope this helps!
Thanks I have looked at that I have no clue as to what Iam doing and all of that is well above my pay grade.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBaker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow98cobra View Post
Thanks I have looked at that I have no clue as to what I am doing and all of that is well above my pay grade.
Then, you need a mechanic whose Shop Manual comprehension is congruent w/his paygrade. Many times our problems aren't covered in the book. Your throttle needs to be set up according to Ford.

Good suggestion, Marshall. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Experienced

I had someone look at this for me He adjusted the accelerator rod to its fullest and said there is to much play in this bracket where the rod runs across to the return spring it wiggles up and down (section 6-10 in the manual shows a better picture of this but doesnt name it). Please see photo and let me know what it is called. I have looked at the manual and the website and can not find it. I also looked through the several parts books that I have and it does not appear that they sell it. if anyone knows where I can get one please let me know. Thank you Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2130.JPG (129.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 08-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Seems to me that Richard Hord had a problem where his holes were worn oblong and the throttle wouldn't return to low idle speed. He had to jiggle the linkage, then it retracted.

The way I would tackle this is to make the holes round again. Drill the holes bigger and use bronze bushings (like door hinges use). Of course, you will need to find correct size bushings for the rods. That way, if the holes ever wear again, it's a simple task to pop in some new bushings. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-17-2012, 06:11 PM
KULTULZ

Or you can go this route-

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...kage/index.php

...if OEM/dedicated restoration is not a factor to you.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Check with Carl Heller (partsetal). He may have a decent used one.

John
Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Experienced

Thanks Guys.. I met a guy at a local car show back in June and he said he had a couple parts cars. I will call him and see if he has this part but would like to have name for it besides the the throttle linkage thingy that mounts to the intake.

Dave I thought about a bushing but it did not dawn on me to drill it out larger "DOH" I also thought maybe tack on a couple of washers
Attached Images
File Type: gif HomerSimpson36.gif (20.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
Dave is correct. Mine had slop in the holes and was getting in a bind when moved. He had a very good ideal! I had already bought bushing and then seen one on Ebay. I contacted the seller and asked if he would check for any slop in holes. He did so and sent me message back, that there was not any slop. I bought it. Still have not got it installed but it is in great shape!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436