This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:38 AM
Experienced

kuusamon is on a distinguished road
Default fomoco alu intake any info on this?

I took a chance and made a bid on a fomoco aluminium intake on ebay, no casting numbers what so ever. I have been looking on and of for the right one but sometimes you take chance when there is not so much info but a lot of people are bidding on it.
It looks good but can anyone look at the picture and see if they know some info on this one, which type it is and if I did ok?
regards=Ron
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271032157449...S:3166&vxp=mtr
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I guess the only question I have is what kind of spacer to use between the manifold and carb. You'll probably have to use a pcv valve of some sort and a larger spacer. Whether you'll need one that's tapered is another story.

John
Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 AM
Experienced

Hi John, yes I have a spacer for the carb, a pcv spacer I believe. I need to find the cover for the back pcv hole. I think I found what kind of manifold this is, without the casting numbers. it is either a galaxy 61, 62 manifold or looking at pictures it looks equal to a C3AE-9424-E manifold, low riser.
I hope I did well with this one, I wanted one as looking close as original as possible.
regards=ron
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Ron, I hope this manifold works for you, too. I know that there are about fifty combinations of FE heads and intake combinations. That's why I prefer buying them as sets.

It may be possible that your aluminum intake had the numbers smoothed so that it could be painted to look like an OEM. After all, painted pieces are very difficult to tell what is underneath.

BTW... Most large threaded holes are NPT (National Pipe Threads). Plugs and fittings are very available.

With a leap of faith and a little luck, this intake might be what you are looking for. Good Luck, my friend. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-16-2012, 05:48 AM
Experienced

thanks Dave, I've been looking and checking all kinds of intake manifolds on the net, offenhausers port o sonics the 5474's, edelbrocks etc etc. But I am not going to turn my car into a hotrod, just taking a bit of the weight, maybe a little more hp and/or fuel efficiency and looking as close to original as possible, therefor looking for one with an oil filling tube. This one I paid a bit more than I was planning for a manifold but hopefully it fits. Maybe looking for a alu waterpump, then the diskbrake update, maybe alu heads, lots of plans still over the next few years.
regards=ron
Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuusamon View Post

I took a chance and made a bid on a fomoco aluminium intake on ebay, no casting numbers what so ever.

That is a 1960 352CI 360HP intake. They had no Casting I.D.

It is basically the same intake used on the later 1961/1964 390HP/406 and 427LR.

These intakes (HP) used a special PCV setup, but you can also use a nippled spacer and block the rear opening.

I would show details but there is no way to post photos here.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default fomoco alu intake any info on this?

Gary, of course there are ways to post pictures on this Forum. Three at least.... You can do so if you are a Paid Member. You can do so by going to a free picture hosting website like Photobucket, posting the pix there, and then posting the link in the thread. Or you can do as you have done in the past. Send them to me and I can post them for you.....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Experienced

Gary, thanks for the info.
So it doesn't look like I bought a 'cat in the bag' or a 'pig in a poke'.
With a casting number it would have been easier to check if that is what I wanted/needed because of the intake jungle out there. I paid about 319 dollars for it included shipping. And it seems then the correct year also.
I do have the carb spacer and the oil filling cap I bought is also with a pcv outlet, also just to be sure I have a edelbrock modern chrome air filter but also an original Tbird airfilter holder with a pcv inlet. All I have to see now is how to set the pcv system up. I can order a cover for the rear pcv hole on the intake or one with an outlet pointing upwards. Hope you can post some pictures of the pcv setup.
thanks, regards=ron

p.s. here an item on ebay that might fit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_996wt_1194

Last edited by kuusamon : 08-17-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM
KULTULZ

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuusamon View Post

Gary, thanks for the info. So it doesn't look like I bought a 'cat in the bag' or a 'pig in a poke'.
You are more than welcome. And yes, you made a big score (IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuusamon continues

With a casting number it would have been easier to check if that is what I wanted/needed because of the intake jungle out there. I paid about 319 dollars for it included shipping. And it seems then the correct year also.

I do have the carb spacer and the oil filling cap I bought is also with a pcv outlet, also just to be sure I have a edelbrock modern chrome air filter but also an original Tbird airfilter holder with a pcv inlet. All I have to see now is how to set the pcv system up. I can order a cover for the rear pcv hole on the intake or one with an outlet pointing upwards. Hope you can post some pictures of the pcv setup.

thanks, regards=ron
The first year of the Alum 4V Casting (1960) had no I.D. Nos as it was cast outside of FORD. It did have the FOMOCO raised casting mark. Same for 61/64. While these did have I.D. Nos., they were still supplied to FORD by an outside vendor. If you notice on the 61/64 castings, the Casting I.D. No. Basic is 9424 which is a Service Part Basic No. 9425 Is the Casting I.D. No. for an intake manifold.

Before we go any further, let me ask how you want the engine to appear, as OEM, Resto-Mod or HI-PO? The 1960 352HP was not available in the 60 BIRD as a regular option.

- http://www.fordfe.info/Intake/Factory/indexFactory.html
Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM
KULTULZ

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

Gary, of course there are ways to post pictures on this Forum. Three at least.... You can do so if you are a Paid Member.

You can do so by going to a free picture hosting website like Photobucket, posting the pix there, and then posting the link in the thread. Or you can do as you have done in the past. Send them to me and I can post them for you.....
I have no reason to join as I do not have a BIRD (doesn't mean I don't want one).

(I also desire Ann-Margret but I now realize that it is not going to happen either... )

Photobucket is not nice to me (computer challenged).

I will submit to you directly what this gentleman needs for his upgrade.