This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Experienced

Larry Jones is on a distinguished road
Default leaking in the back of the transmission area

I havent got under the car but noticed a good leak coming from the back. Before I get under it what could it be coming from and then how much to fix it. My car is a 62 thunderbird. Need some advice bad. Thank you Larry
Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Larry, I think you're putting the cart before the horse. You need to be our 'eyes' before we can comment. I strongly suggest you put the car in the air and take pictures of the problem. Otherwise, how would anyone know? - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Experienced

Default location of the leak is dripping onto the rear housing.

Then down onto the floor. So its either the rear seal or the spline seal.I no you just unhook the drive shaft and pop out the seal. Maybe making it sound to simple. So how many hours would a mechanic at a transmission shop take. And what cost would I be looking at. If it is the rear seal would a napa shop be able to supply it. Thank you Dave. 1962 bird
Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 AM
KULTULZ

If it is the extension housing rear seal leaking, you also have to check the rear bushing and yoke condition as well as the front u-joint.

There are special service tools available to replace the seal/bushing on the car.

- http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Ford/19...cT/04-046.html

- http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Ford/19...cT/04-047.html

Last edited by KULTULZ : 07-02-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: ADD INFO
Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Experienced

Default leaking in the rear of tranny

Thank you Kultulz. My situation is the symtom is this. Last Sat around 6.00 pm when I pulled outof the garage I noticed a small puddle in the rearof the tranny. From there I have started the car up twice no more leakage through 10.00am monday morning. Could the rear assembly housing hold fluid and when it gets so much into it spills over unto the floor. How would you explain that to me. This is a 1962 t bird with 56000 orginal miles on it. Purchased a rebuilt short block from Mr John Draxler two years ago everythind find there. Thank you. Larry
Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jones View Post

Could the rear assembly housing hold fluid and when it gets so much into it spills over unto the floor. How would you explain that to me.
When you shut down the engine, the transmission fluid circulating in the trans assembly returns to the pan.

If the transmission is over filled, and/or if the case vent is not working properly and/or if the converter is leaking down, the extra high fluid level will flow to areas not designed to hold that volume/weight/pressure.

Do you have a shop manual (or use the URL I presented) to actually view the trans assembly and see possible leaking points?

Correction-

The manual I showed is a 1958 FORD manual. I just noticed you have a 1962 BIRD, but the illustrations for the CRUISEOMATIC in the manual will be much the same as your year CRUISEOMATIC.

Last edited by KULTULZ : 07-02-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Short Eyeballs... Can't Seem To Be Able To Read...
Old 07-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Experienced

Default case vent

hello again.

What is the purpose of a case vent on my 62 tranny What would it look like. Could it be cleaned from the outsde with solvent. Where is it located at. Thanks. Larry.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:50 PM
KULTULZ

The purpose of a vent is to relieve internal pressure from the transmission due to the fluid being pumped. Think of it as similar to the engine PCV system.

I know the LINC HX went to an internal vent in 1962 and vents itself inside the bell-housing. I would think the MX does the same. It would have to be disassembled to clean.

I would go more in the direction of a bad rear seal first.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Experienced

Default transmission leaking

thank you for everything. Larry
Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 PM
KULTULZ

You are quite welcome.

Please let the board know the outcome as we learn from one another...